Whey Protein

Options
How do you guys feel about Whey Protein shakes as a breakfast meal replacement? Good, bad?

Replies

• roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i've used it as a meal replacement but i mostly use it as a refuel after workouts. i love that stuff!
  • Pneeleysmom
    Pneeleysmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks Roverdisc...at least I got one response! lol
  • roverdisc98
    roverdisc98 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    the boards here move so fast! it's hard to get topics going i guess! i don't know

a new thread gets started every second it seems like

anyways, I drink a 6oz whey shake (water and powder for less calories) every M,W,F after my weight training and I soooo look forward to it! I had it this morning and it was grrrrrrrrrrrreat!
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I Love Love Love whey protein. I use it in my smoothies all the time. I mix 2 scoops of whey protein and half a banana to 8 ounces of cold water, add a few ice cubes and mix it in the blender. Yummmm.
  • Tenzuya
    Tenzuya Posts: 64
    Options
    I dont think you should use whey as a meal replacement, unless you have absolutely no food in the house, if you are trying to lose weight fast by skipping meals then you most likely slow your metabolism down, this is my advice eat your calories dont drink them.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I drink one every morning while I'm getting ready for work. If I forget to bring a protein bar or some cereal with me, it keeps me full until lunch, so around 4.5 hours. Not bad! I prefer the CytoSport vanilla, and we get it at Costco for $50 for a 6 pound bag.
  • TheSwoleMinister_deleted
    Options
    I have one every morning. Delicious! The ingredients are in my diary and I also have a preparation video on my youtube vlog.
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I love it. I have one for breakfast, Milk, fruit, Whey 1 tsp honey, , yummy,. I also have it for lunch. But I also have am and pm snacks. Apple, handful of mix nuts, string cheese.
  • GregJourney
    GregJourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use them after strength training workouts. It is helping me recover from the workout and I am seeing it help in the muscle building. Plus it leave me feeling fuller for longer. I was a sceptic but I am sold now
  • dmd721
    dmd721 Posts: 4
    Options
    As long as the ingredients in the protein are as clean as possible, then I don't see a problem with it. Of course, it is best to eat real food for meals, but I know that everyone's schedule is different and it's not always possible to do so - that's where a high-quality protein can work wonders.

If you're replacing a meal, just be sure you're adding in other ingredients (fruit, milk, peanut butter, etc.) in order to ensure you're getting enough calories.

I personally use soy protein powder (whey protein doesn't agree with me :frown: ) with fruit/soymilk/peanut butter for a breakfast smoothie, or I use it just mixed with soymilk or water for a post-workout refuel.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Go for it! No worries as long as you are still at a deficit at the end of the day and you've comprised most of your day with nutritious foods.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I use as a meal replacement occasionally. Filling and good when your in a rush! :-)
  • DoneBroughtSexyBack
    Options
    The only time I would use them as a meal is when I just do not have time for actual food. Drinking your calories is not really the ideal way to go...
  • Windzer
    Windzer Posts: 104
    Options
    Depends on the whey protein, I use Optimum Nutiriton Pro Complex, 300cals per serving with 60g protein, made a great meal replacement.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I love my whey, but I don't use it as a meal replacement. I have three solid meals per day, and two liquid meals (i.e. protein shakes) per day on the five days per week that I lift. Breakfast, lunch about 1-2 hours before my workout, whey after my workout, supper when I get home, casein protein shake about an hour or so before bed.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    How do you guys feel about Whey Protein shakes as a breakfast meal replacement? Good, bad?

Nothing wrong with replacing a meal with this as long as you're not doing it for every meal of the day. Sounds like a good plan to me.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    The only time I would use them as a meal is when I just do not have time for actual food. Drinking your calories is not really the ideal way to go...

I would agree that nutrition from whole foods is better than from supplements.

However, if you make a smoothie with whey, greek yogurt, fruit, and maybe some peanut butter as your meal, I don't see the disadvantages to drinking your calories with this.

Now, I do agree that it may not be a good idea to drink your calories with something like a high calorie fruit juice or soda if you are having trouble staying at a deficit for the day.
  • GerritTheBlacksmith
    Options
    I have it for breakfast almost every day.
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with using whey protein as a breakast meal replacement as long as you are having something else with it. Say, some oatmeal with blueberries and your protein shake on the side (a combination of protein, complex carbs and simple carbs).

I have a whey protein shake every morning for breakfast (approx. 350 calories) and it sustains me until my morning snack.

I use: orange-flavoured whey protein powder, half a banana, some frozen strawberries and a cup of almond milk. I also add a fruit and vegetable supplements (Progressive Phytoberry and VegeGreens).

I think it is incredibly convenient (I drink it in the car on my way to work) and certainly better than not having any breakfast at all! :)
  • Pneeleysmom
    Pneeleysmom Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the VALUABLE info!! I am looking for something for breakfast that's quick, and healthy on the go. I usually have my breakfast at work or on my way in to the office.