get cold after exercising??

Options
Anyone else get deathly cold after exercising? Like socks, pants, shirt, hoodie, blanket and still cold? Of course I'm hot right after I finish, but later (maybe starting 30-60 min after) I'm freezing. And I stay cold for a few hours. I drink lots of water, eat after working out and tried gatorade for electrolytes....

Replies

• KristyTonn
    KristyTonn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • Sharla_G
    Sharla_G Posts: 72
    Options
    What time of day do you exercise?

I do it after work, and do get cold in the evening. But my body temp drops that time of day anyway.
  • Jackie_Nickle
    Jackie_Nickle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do I always thought it was becuase the sweat was evaporating from my body and that is how the body cools itself off... Might of overthought it though :happy:
  • tinajean141
    Options
    I get the same thing! I think it's just partially because my house is so cold, but I do notice I get chills, even if I'm all bundled up.

I eat healthy, and do all the warm-ups and cool downs for working out too.

If anyone knows what this could be, I'd like to know as well.
  • bmaguire13690
    bmaguire13690 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do I always thought it was becuase the sweat was evaporating from my body and that is how the body cools itself off... Might of overthought it though :happy:

I thought the same thing. If you have a great workout, sweat your nads off then stop and stay outside or in a cold room then your sweat cools down on your body and makes you feel damp and shivery. I can't count the amount of runs in the rain / cold weather I've been on, followed by strolls back to the house, that have ended up with me hiding inside the whole weekend with a cold.

I think the trick is to keep at least one item of clothing sweat free that you can put on afterwards, but even that doesn't seem to work sometimes.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Try changing into dry clothes or taking a shower
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I used to as well! You NEED to change at the gym, all your clothes. That was my biggest thing, I would change my top and then when I got home I'd change the rest, but I was sitting in my sweat lol. Shower and sweats and some nice green tea or something works very well for me! Being cold can also be related to a circulation issue, I would suggest check out the doc's too!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Try changing into dry clothes or taking a shower
    I do get really cold. This helps alleviate that.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I do. Even changing immediately after. Often I need something hot to drink, and I have been known to use a heating pad to warm up. For me, it seems to be related to food, too. I find it difficult to eat on days I work out hard, I'm just not hungry at all. So I find if I eat it's better. If all else fails, a hot shower or bath does the trick for me.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    It might be low blood sugar - do you have a pre-workout snack? I sometimes feel cold if I don't eat something before my workout or immediately afterwards.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I call it my cold crash. I also take my heart rate at this time and it is extremely low which is normally low to start with. I have to bundle up or get my heated blanket out or if I am driving turn the heater on full blast.. There is another forum going about exercise wasting time. Because we burn less calories in this cold state than normally so was the exercise worth the time.
  • dreamingofhealthy
    dreamingofhealthy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I get this everytime i workout too.... I get home change out of my sweaty clothes and the chills start. I usually hop in a HOT shower and then bundle up.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I've definitely experienced that! It isn't pleasant, so I've focused on hopping in the shower immediately after working out. That really helps.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Nope, quite the opposite. I stay quite warm for an extended period after exercise. Are you eating enough? Low blood sugar maybe? That tends to make people cold I think.
  • TLWallperson
    Options
    Yes I am always freezing about 1/2hour or so after working out. Drives me crazy. But I would def agree with the person who said it could be a circulation problem because I know I do have circulation problems. Usually I just bundle up, turn up the heat until everone else in my house is burning up.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    YES!!
  • yokumsm
    yokumsm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too around 30 mins after my workout. I take a warm shower and change into dry clothes and it goes away. I read somewhere that some think it is related to anemia (which I do struggle with). I drink plenty of water and don't worry too much about it.
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time. Its is very normal that is why you see runners and other athletes wrap up in insulated wraps after an event. Drinking warm liquids does help me.
  • lilbee78
    lilbee78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    this happens to me nearly every time, but especially in the winter. talk about being PAINFULLY COLD! a hot shower within 30 mins of my workout seems to be the only way to regulate my body temperature again.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i am always significantly colder now tahn i used to be period, especially later in the evening, but yes, i am FREEZING about 30 minutes after my workout, whether I cahnge clothes, take a shower etc or not, no idea what causes it or really how to make it better, i just chalk it up to something i have to deal with, but you are not alone.