Are you a goal scooter?

Options
Seems that I'm never going to reach a goal, cuz as soon as I get close I feel motivated and I scoot it down a few more pounds. Way back when my goal was 175, which is what I weighted 30 years ago. Recently my goal was 169, which would put me at an even 40 lbs lost. Now my goal is 155 based on my remaining spare tire.

Replies

• FireEngineRedHead
    FireEngineRedHead Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten close enough to "scoot" cause I set mine close to impossibly low, that being said, there's nothing wrong with pushing for more!
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm have more of a yo-yoing goal.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm an intentional goal scooter, yes. I set smaller "realistic" goals, and create rewards based on the difficulty achieving said goal. Though my "main goal" was to lose 50 lbs, my first goal was to lose 10% of my weight, then it was to get under 200lbs, then another goal and another one, until I reached the 50lbs lost.
    Some people find it daunting to set a large goal, because they won't reach it in a time they find satisfying.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I'm a butt scooter.

When it itches I drag it across the carpet.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I just want to be the weight I was 2 years ago (169 after dropping 80 lbs with the help of MFP-- I put a good deal of it back on), when I thought I was still fat!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm a "scooter" because in the beginning I didn't know what a realistic goal weight would be. When I weighed 170 I thought 145 would be great, but when I got to 145 it was quite obvious that I could do a lot better.

I now have my "goal" set to 130, but I am below that. When I get to where I want my body fat to be I will probably weigh around 125.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    My first goal was healthy BMI
    My next goal was 10 lbs under the top of the healthy BMI range. So I'd have some wiggle room and one bad day/week. Wouldn't be the end of the world.

Then I scooted it down another 5 lbs.

Then I really really wanted to get to my "pre-accident weight" of 141 (aka what I used to weigh 16 years ago)

Barely touch the "pre-accident weight" haven't found a way to maintain that so I've been 145 for a while. Still working on different strategies for maintenance. I'm not comfortable going it on my own yet.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have changed my goals a few times. But I also set short term goals as well, so I have achieved some. I also do the short term thing, so my goals won't seem so impossible to achieve. First, it was "just get out of the 180s"..Then it was "just lose the weight I gained over of the summer". Then it was get to a healthy BMI, not done yet. But then I read that my body fat weight should be 153 to be considered fit. Now, I feel like you do. I will NEVER get to that weight.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    well, some people have Goal 1, goal 2, and goal 3....

My goal 1 was under 145 lbs. done!
    My goal 2 was under 135 lbs. done!
    my goal 3 was under 125 lbs. done!

Then i felt too skinny, so my goal became to build muscle....
    Now my goals are:

BF% 16
    Squat: 1.5 BW
    Bench BW
    DL 2xBW
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I scooted my goal from 130 to 125 as I got closer to goal and realized it wasn't going to get me where I wanted to be. But I stuck with that "scooted" goal once I set it. But if you have carried a lot of extra weight for many years, I don't know how you can know from the beginning what goal weight should be. So I think goal scooting is inevitable in that scenario. Talk to your doc or nutritionist. If he/she doesn't think your "scooted" goal is outside a healthy weight range, scoot away!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I set my original goal number arbitrarily and under the delusion that I was taller than I really am, so I'm pretty sure I'll end up around 115 instead of the 122 I originally set my goal as but before I change that number I'm going to hit 122 and congratulate myself.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I prefer bikes
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm a big time goal scooter! Starting weight was 188 so 170 was my first goal.
    From there my goals were every 10 pounds. I stayed at 160 for quite awhile. Then I got to 150 and figured if I got there, 140 wasn't far behind. I stayed in the 140s for several years and then slipped into the 130's. I was thrilled!
    I stayed there about 2 years and now, after joining MFP (cause I thought I could not possibly get any lower), I am 125 and my absolute final goal is 120. I haven't been 120 since I was in my early 20s.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I scooted my goal the other day. First goal was 155, then I figured I'd reevaluate and see if I wanted to go to 150. Then I tinkered with online calculators that told me my OMG! BESTEST! weight was 152. Since this is right between 1st goal and potential 2nd goal (and is less than ten pounds away anyway), I changed my goal to that.

When I lost my first chunk o' weight two years ago, I didn't start out with a set goal--I had too much to lose, and it was too intimidating. So it sort of scooted a lot. Lose 30+ pounds? At MY age? Impossible! My metabolism is too slow. I'm too old. I like food. It's unrealistic. But if I lose 5 or 10 pounds, I'll have to be healthier...okay, let's try another 5...huh, that didn't hurt too much, maybe 5 more...