Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    MMMMM barbocoa!
  • MirinSerratus
    MirinSerratus Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So I never LOVED Chipotle. I liked it okay, but I couldn't love it like other people did. To me it was just a 1000 calorie meal that tasted kinda meh.

But then I decided to try to figure out a way to make it healthier, and in the process I accidentally made it incredibly delicious! It's one of my favorite things to eat now, and it's really not that bad for me! Other than sodium (which isn't a concern for me because I have low blood pressure), it's pretty low cal, has healthy fats, veggies, and tons of protein! I've been so excited to share with you all, because I know some of you love fast food as much as I do.

This is what you order to make the most delicious Chipotle order ever:

Ask for a burrito bowl.

You can get either white or brown rice, whatever your preference. I prefer white for taste reasons, but brown has about 10 fewer calories.

You can get either black beans or pinto beans. I prefer pinto, but they are made with bacon so if you want to keep things vegetarian go with black. Both kinds have the same calories.

Now, ask for the fajita veggies. If they try to skimp you, don't be afraid to ask for more.

No meat. Skip the meat. It adds calories. You're going to get a ton of protein from the beans. There's just no reason for it. No meat.

You can get the tomatoes and/or the green and/or red salsas. I like tomatoes and a little bit of green.

Cheese is good. Get cheese.

And now ask for "a little bit" of guacamole. If you don't specify "a little bit," they will give you more guac than there are other ingredients in your bowl and it will become guac with random stuff in it. It's not as good as it sounds. So specify "a little bit." And, because you skipped the meat, the guac is free instead of $2something! See, worth it.

This will be approximately 580 calories for your entire lunch with 18 grams of fiber, 22 grams of protein, 60% Vitamin C, 30% Vitamin A, 32% Calcium, and 18% iron. That's really not bad for something this delicious, and it will keep you full forever!

Enjoy!

Mine - I highly recommend!: white rice, pinto beans, lots of fajita veggies, tomatoes, a little green salsa, cheese, guacamole.

got beans made me fart sticking with chicken
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    chipotle is the bizzest.

absolutely best fast food (health wise) bar none
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options

To the girl who said salad dressings are evil, there are plenty out there that aren't. Bolthouse Farms' salsa ranch is 45 cals for 2T. I'd say that's pretty decent.

Yes BF dressings are delicious. I was specifically calling out the one that they have at Chipotle - it's got a ridiculous number of calories/fat for a tiny dressing!
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I would never go to Chipotle and not get meat!

I just use their online nutrition calculator and figure out what fits into my calories. That's the Holy Grail - fitting anything you like into your day.

Glad you've found something that works for you OP.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying is that you figured out you don't have to get a tortilla? and
    Ditching the meat but suggesting beans for protein?

Wut!?

lol
  • crabbok
    crabbok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I"ve had the meat-free bowls before and it's pretty amazing. Granted if you like meat then it's a good choice for meat, but if you are looking to restrict your meat intake this is one amazing meal.
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I might try that. There's a Chipotle a block from my office. We also have a place call California Tortilla that has burrito bowls..all different "flavors". The one I like (Honey Lime Chicken) has about 503 cals (per their website). I ask them to do half the rice and double up on the lettuce. So good. They have other combos that have even less calories (and then some with more).
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Here's a great tip I learned from my sister:

Ask for a burrito bowl however you like it and a get a tortilla shell on the side (to go). They will wrap the tortilla in foil.

Eat exactly half the bowl and you can use the rest to make your own burrito the next day!!!

Your sister is a smart woman! Love that idea!
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    To me, the phrase "Chipotle holy grail" is redundant...
    I am eating a double chicken bowl as I type....brown rice, peppers and onions, and guacamole :)
  • Phoenixchichima
    Options
    great, thanks !
  • michelefrench
    michelefrench Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    please don't report me.....i've never been to chipotle :frown:
  • JennytheWicked
    JennytheWicked Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh Chipotle... it is my undoing!

Honestly, Chipotle is the only "fast food' I eat anymore.

But my burrito bowl of heaven is: brown rice, chicken, black beans, cheese, lettuce, green and corn salsa. Super Nom!
  • TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When I was vegetarian that was the type of bowl I got.....Now i get no rice, double chicken and double steak, guac, cheese, hot salsa, corn and sour cream if Im feeling adventurous. Love my meats.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree! Ditch the beans and go for chicken! Personally, I don't get all the Chipotle love. To me it's just an expensive version of Taco Bell.

It's a quaint, sanitized version of a taqueria, it's comfortable and non-challenging.

You get better cheaper food at a taqueria, provided there are taquerias around. When I lived in Boston there weren't any real ones, so the best Mexican style food you could get was at a Chipotle.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Nope... don't skip the meat and definitely don't skimp on the guac!

My last salad from Chipolte was 485 cals, 34g fat, 18g carbs and 45g protein = perfect
    romaine, chicken, fajita veggies, cheese, guacamole, and the green salsa
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a salad with:

Black Beans
    Carnitas
    Pico de Gallo (2 scoops)
    Green Salsa
    A pinch of cheese

Skip the dressing, it's hella good, but hella high in calories.

And, rice does not, ever, belong with other things. It should always be served by itself.
  • carmenah
    carmenah Posts: 5
    Options
    I LOVE CHIPOTLE!

I'm just glad I can eat it while I watch my intake. I'm glad that you found a way to eat it and love it. I have ALWAYS loved Chipotle. It's my boyfriend, be nice to it :-)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I prefer doing the carnitas or the steak. I don't like the beans. It's just my preference. Fair warning, they sometimes go overboard with the cheese. It may be more than 580. I would recommend weighing and measuring out the correct amount of cheese so you can eyeball it. I've had them accidentally put what I knew to be about double the cheese calories. Generally, I'll avoid the cheese and go double fajitas and double mild tomatoes and do just the meat and white rice. I've read enough about brown to know now that it's not as easy to process nutrition wise so I prefer it. I only do the brown if I'm in the mood for the taste.

Monica
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    That $1.80 for guacamole is the best money you will spend that day.

I get a bowl with brown rice, extra fajita, chicken, sour cream, pico, and guac. It's awesome.