My Cat Scratched My Baby...I Need Advice

Options

Replies

• esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    this whole thread pisses me off.
    Yep mee too. Don't get an animal if you're not willing to devote your life to it.
  • BamaGirl_Tricia
    BamaGirl_Tricia Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    If you declaw her, it will not solve the problem, they will bite then as their defense mechanism has been altered and that is even more dangerous that a scatch. A cat bite has to be treated with oral antibotics. I know you would hate to get rid of her but I see that as your only option. I have a very anti social cat as well and she has anxiety problems because of it.
  • graced111
    graced111 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The cat door is a great idea. They also have plastic tips you can put over the claws. Vets and groomers do this so it is done properly. See your vet they can give you suggestions.
  • lmcib
    lmcib Posts: 1
    Options
    Use reinforcement training. Observe the cat near the child and squirt her with a water bottle when she shows signs of aggression. Praise her when she is calm and friendly, have him offer her treats eventually. Also, teach your child the cat is not a toy and should be approached with caution. Teach him how to read her signs so he knows when to back off.

You could also provide the cat a "safe" place the child cant get too. Get a cat tree with a perch or sleeping hammock high enough he can't reach.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    In my opinion luv you have to get rid of the cat. Hard I know, but at the end of the day a cats a cat and your child HAS to come first.......I'm a cat owner and have owned a dog in the past but my children will/would ALWAYS come first :flowerforyou:

Correct!!!!!!!!!! I always have two dogs, when one passes from old age we get another I love them like family they sleep in my bed and do everything with us. But you better believe if they were ever agressive to my son they would be out the door no if ands or butts about it, I cant believe some of these responses......
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    i'm not really a cat person so maybe i'm suggesting something impossible, but could another option be to talk to a vet or some kind of animal trainer, to determine if there's a way you could gradually get your cat to warm up to your little boy? or maybe this suggestion is even crazier, but i think they do have medication now that you can get for your pets for anxiety (through the vet)...maybe that would make her a little less scared of him.

Most cats naturally despise young children---that's just how they roll. You must keep them separated until the child learns to "LEAVE THE CAT ALONE!" My granddaughter (two-and-a half) knows that (her other grandma's) cat "...will bite me and scratch me..." if she bothers the cat. Pets and small children must have an adult in the room with them at all times. Even then, a pet can lash out instantly, and do a lot of damage to a child, before an adult can respond. In general, if you are planning to have children within the life of a pet, it is best to have a parakeet or a fish aquarium until the children are old enough to dominate the pets (which usually takes about 5 years for a cat and closer to 10 for a dog--especially a big dog). My daughter and her husband were forced to euthanize their German Shepherd-crossbreed dog who started developing mental problems after the birth of their first child (which included menacing behavior with my granddaughter). Some of their pet-loving friends were angry with them (of course, THEY were not interested in taking the dog) but you cannot take chances with the fact that there are many instances of permanent injury and death inflicted on small children.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    One half of an inch higher, and my son would be in the hospital right now, being fitted with an eye patch. His life would be ruined forever.

Dramatic much?

My cat scratched my eye a few years ago. She scratched my cornea. I had an eye patch for a day and got goop in my eye. Lol! That hardly ruined my life.

Pay attention to your kid and what's doing. He shouldn't be unsupervised, and clearly, if he was bothering the cat badly enough to get scratched, well, he deserved it or you just plain weren't paying attention.

Are you kidding me?? "He deserved it."??? He is a 14 month old baby!! I assume you do not have children. And if you do, I feel badly for them. "Oh sorry, buddy, the cat scratched your eye and you had to wear an eyepatch? Sucks to be you, you deserved it." Good parenting.

^^^^^
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Kill it!
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    People > Pets

Get rid of the cat.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    In my opinion luv you have to get rid of the cat. Hard I know, but at the end of the day a cats a cat and your child HAS to come first.......I'm a cat owner and have owned a dog in the past but my children will/would ALWAYS come first :flowerforyou:

Correct!!!!!!!!!! I always have two dogs, when one passes from old age we get another I love them like family they sleep in my bed and do everything with us. But you better believe if they were ever agressive to my son they would be out the door no if ands or butts about it, I cant believe some of these responses......

Cat people are a weird bunch..
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You failed both your son and your cat. It is your responsibility to make sure the cat always has access to a safe place. You should also be assuring that the cat's nails are properly clipped so they are not sharp enough to do any real damage. Declawing is absolutely not necessary if you are willing to take responsibility for proper care.

I'm sorry, but you misspelled "child" in your second sentence.

Um, no. The child always has a safe place. The cat doesn't. The cat is not the aggressor. Neither is the kid, but see it from the cat's perspective here. You're just sitting somewhere, chilling and this larger organism starts bugging you. You have nowhere to go to escape this organism. They won't leave you be. You're trapped. What do you do? The cat reacted like a normal cat does when they feel trapped. Neither is at fault, but to punish the cat by ripping its claws out, putting it outdoors or abandoning it altogether is wrong.

I shall now refer to all babies as "large organisms."
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I fear this.
    My daughter is only 5m old - and so far my cats just keep away from her. I hope this continues to be the case. They dont loathe her - but they never stay in the same room.

I had those glue on caps for the claws. Two of my 3 cats - they didnt shed off properly and the nail grew so long it was pushing into the pads on their feet - I had to chew them off.
    The other chewed her own off in a couple days - so not always a good solution.

I do however clip my cats nails routinely.

Wait a minute... you CHEWED on your cats claws??? How did this ever even become an option? Gross. :huh: :noway:

LMAO....I totally missed that revelation when I read this response the first time. Thank you so much for drawing our attention to what she said! That is absolutely hilarious. I LOVE my pets, but you won't find me chewing on their toe nails. Just sayin'.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    It's a cat vs your CHILD. Get rid of it.

Not nice to refer to a CHILD as an IT. :wink:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

I've been told that when I was a baby, I was "sharing" a cookie with the family dog. The dog, being a dog, tried to eat some cookie when it was "my turn" and bit me in the face. My mother apparently had a fit and Dad had to come home and convince her not to kill the dog (kind of him, because he didn't like dogs anyway). Instead, I got taken to the doctor and was taught to not share food with the dog. I also had to be taught to leave my grandparents' and my aunt and uncle's cats alone because they didn't like me, and they both scratched me at least once. (I've always loved kitties more than dogs.)

As an aside, I regularly have my kid take the dogs bowl/toy etc because they can do this - it is dominant behavour and it teaches the dog that the kid is above it in the pecking order. Obviously if it growls, we take it more slowly, but a kid should always be able to take things from the dog - also, to re-enforce the childs dominance, I et the child to make the dog sit etc and then give it a treat.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    Use reinforcement training. Observe the cat near the child and squirt her with a water bottle when she shows signs of aggression. Praise her when she is calm and friendly, have him offer her treats eventually. Also, teach your child the cat is not a toy and should be approached with caution. Teach him how to read her signs so he knows when to back off.

You could also provide the cat a "safe" place the child cant get too. Get a cat tree with a perch or sleeping hammock high enough he can't reach.

should the OP squirt the child too?
    :laugh:
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You failed both your son and your cat. It is your responsibility to make sure the cat always has access to a safe place. You should also be assuring that the cat's nails are properly clipped so they are not sharp enough to do any real damage. Declawing is absolutely not necessary if you are willing to take responsibility for proper care.

I'm sorry, but you misspelled "child" in your second sentence.

Um, no. The child always has a safe place. The cat doesn't. The cat is not the aggressor. Neither is the kid, but see it from the cat's perspective here. You're just sitting somewhere, chilling and this larger organism starts bugging you. You have nowhere to go to escape this organism. They won't leave you be. You're trapped. What do you do? The cat reacted like a normal cat does when they feel trapped. Neither is at fault, but to punish the cat by ripping its claws out, putting it outdoors or abandoning it altogether is wrong.

That would make perfect sense....In an insane world where house cats and human infants are equals.

And clearly the child does not always have a safe place as it was clawed by the cat.

"Well the cat felt annoyed, so it clawed the kid's face. It's the kid's fault."

I don't own any pets. I hope you never have children.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I fear this.
    My daughter is only 5m old - and so far my cats just keep away from her. I hope this continues to be the case. They dont loathe her - but they never stay in the same room.

I had those glue on caps for the claws. Two of my 3 cats - they didnt shed off properly and the nail grew so long it was pushing into the pads on their feet - I had to chew them off.
    The other chewed her own off in a couple days - so not always a good solution.

I do however clip my cats nails routinely.

Wait a minute... you CHEWED on your cats claws??? How did this ever even become an option? Gross. :huh: :noway:

LMAO....I totally missed that revelation when I read this response the first time. Thank you so much for drawing our attention to what she said! That is absolutely hilarious. I LOVE my pets, but you won't find me chewing on their toe nails. Just sayin'.

Those claws step in litter boxes in clumping pee and cat poo. I can only see someone on "*kitten*" putting that in their mouth for a nibble.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Declawing is sick.

You can file your cats claws down and have those soft paws put on. They are rubber claw caps. You will need to it once a month but it works and doesn't bother the cat.

^^^This. Even if you get a new kitten to replace (harsh word) your other cat doesn't guarantee it will be any more friendlier towards your child or an accident can happen. I think it is your responsibility to both the child and the cat in that you teach your child growing up to be respectful of the cat and for you to take the time to file down the claws regularly. You made the commitment to take in this cat and it's unfair to just get rid of it. What are you going to do if you have another child and they get in a fight and has his eye stitched up from getting punched by the other child? Anyways, google cats and babies can coexist for some pointers. *YOU* can play a role in helping both cat and child get used to this environment (remember, this is a change for the cat and is probably stressed, if not a bit jealous of this new thing taking up your time) For the time being all interaction between then should be monitored and introduce them to each other slowly and have a safe place for cat to escape to (high spot, special room with pet door access, basement with boxes etc) I remember my grandma's cat as a kid and yes, I got clawed a few times in the face until they showed me how to interact with the cat and when it makes certain noises or ears back, to leave her alone. That cat ended up being my best friend and playmate (she finally came around to me dressing her up in doll clothes and putting Popsicle sticks on her leg as a splint playing doctor) for then next 21 years. Please don't give up on the cat.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    no, you are forgetting what is hard wired into our brains after thousands of years of evolution.
    I chase cat. I pull cat's tail. Fun! *baby giggles*
    Cat no like. Cat scratches. OUCH. *lots of screaming and wailing*

I no chase cat anymore.

also hopefully reinforced by parents not allowing child to pester cat.

Perfect logic!!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

I've been told that when I was a baby, I was "sharing" a cookie with the family dog. The dog, being a dog, tried to eat some cookie when it was "my turn" and bit me in the face. My mother apparently had a fit and Dad had to come home and convince her not to kill the dog (kind of him, because he didn't like dogs anyway). Instead, I got taken to the doctor and was taught to not share food with the dog. I also had to be taught to leave my grandparents' and my aunt and uncle's cats alone because they didn't like me, and they both scratched me at least once. (I've always loved kitties more than dogs.)

As an aside, I regularly have my kid take the dogs bowl/toy etc because they can do this - it is dominant behavour and it teaches the dog that the kid is above it in the pecking order. Obviously if it growls, we take it more slowly, but a kid should always be able to take things from the dog - also, to re-enforce the childs dominance, I et the child to make the dog sit etc and then give it a treat.

this requires that people actually learn to understand animal behavior and training and not just treat them as they would another human being.
    it also requires effort to accomplish said training, instead of quick fix easy answers such as "get rid of the cat", or "get rid of the child"!
This discussion has been closed.