Puking after heavy lifting - HELP!

Options
I had an unpleasant experience after lifting weights last night. I noticed that while I was lifting, I felt like I was having some acid reflux (a condition that has completely disappeared since I switched to a completely plant-based, whole foods diet a couple of months ago). I continued & completed my workoug despite the reflux. I got to the gym pretty late, so it was about 10:00PM when I got home. I drank some water and ate some almonds (13 to be exact). My stomach was still a little upset when I went to bed, but nothing major. I woke up at about 4:30 and (pardon me for being graphic) I threw up. I have done strength training in the past, but not heavy lifting like I'm doing now, and this has never happened before. I did some reading, and learned that this can happen especially after leg & core work (that's what I did), and it's usually attributed to low blood sugar & dehydration. I know I'm never dehydrated, but I'm not sure about blood sugar. I don't have any other symptoms, so I doubt it's the flu or rotovirus. Has anyone else had this experience? How can I prevent it from happening again? I appreciate your input.

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Since this was a first time occurrence I wouldn't necessarily tie the two together.
  • 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Since this was a first time occurrence I wouldn't necessarily tie the two together.

I'm linking the two because I definintely started experiencing the stomach upset during the lifting. And the reading I did aligned pretty well to what I experienced. Since I know it's not dehydration, I wonder if I should eat something to boost my blood sugar (a banana,perhaps?) before lifting. I acknowledge that they might not be related events, but I am willing to try what has worked for others to see if it improves the situation.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have had it happen after running a few times – I have always attributed it to overexertion. *shrugs*
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I would guess its the workout, but that's just a personal opinion.

Was your overall calorie intake normal (your increased normal) during the day?

And how are you feeling now?

I doubt its a blood sugar issue (hypoglycemia). During a workout, endurance athletes with a hypoglycemic event call it the "Bonk". Your percieved exertion stays the same or even goes up, but you can barely move, you can't keep going without taking on fuel.

Outside of a workout, a hypoglycemic event may cause vomitting, but more often would have symptoms of shakiness, feeling weak overall, it might include seeing bright spots in your field of vision, a cold sweat. Did you have any of these symptoms in addition to the vomitting?
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    I would guess its the workout, but that's just a personal opinion.

Was your overall calorie intake normal (your increased normal) during the day?

And how are you feeling now?

I doubt its a blood sugar issue (hypoglycemia). During a workout, endurance athletes with a hypoglycemic event call it the "Bonk". Your percieved exertion stays the same or even goes up, but you can barely move, you can't keep going without taking on fuel.

Outside of a workout, a hypoglycemic event may cause vomitting, but more often would have symptoms of shakiness, feeling weak overall, it might include seeing bright spots in your field of vision, a cold sweat. Did you have any of these symptoms in addition to the vomitting?

No, I have had no other symptoms at all. After I got sick, I slept for a few more hours, and felt fine when I woke up. I am sore from lifiting, but that's to be expected. My caloric intake was very high yesterday - over 1900 calories. That's the second highest caloric intake I've recorded since joining MPF in Jan, 2012. To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any blood sugar issues. I was borderline pre-diabetic 80 lbs ago because I was obese. Since switching to plant-based, whole foods, I have been eating 2-3 pieces of fruit each day, usually one apple, one banana or avocado, and some strawberries. Sometimes I eat a few grape tomatoes. Otherwise, all of the carbs I eat are whole grains, so they shouuld have fairly low glycemic index. I believe this should be keeping my blood sugar consistently in a normal/healthy range.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I've puked only because I ate too close to workout time.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Have carbs a bit before and AFTER your workout. Almonds are not enough. After you workout your body uptakes carbs and uses it to build muscle. Some Quinoa, Chocolate Milk, fruit and nuts together, something with protein and a high amount of carbs.
  • Guillotined
    Guillotined Posts: 115
    Options
    Were you stressed or nervous while lifting? Maybe some guys creeping you out and upsetting your stomach?:devil:

Only experience with lifting and throwing up being directly related that I've had was when my friend wasn't breathing enough. But that caused him to throw up while we were still at the gym.

I'm just thinking nerves or coincidence.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I'm linking the two because I definintely started experiencing the stomach upset during the lifting. And the reading I did aligned pretty well to what I experienced. Since I know it's not dehydration, I wonder if I should eat something to boost my blood sugar (a banana,perhaps?) before lifting. I acknowledge that they might not be related events, but I am willing to try what has worked for others to see if it improves the situation.

I would just carry on as usual. It is highly doubtful that you vomited from a workout 6 hours later. Most likely you would have had an upset stomach regardless of what you did that evening.
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    Have carbs a bit before and AFTER your workout. Almonds are not enough. After you workout your body uptakes carbs and uses it to build muscle. Some Quinoa, Chocolate Milk, fruit and nuts together, something with protein and a high amount of carbs.

Normally I do eat a variety of foods - including carbs - before & after workouts, but I just got to the gym so late yesterday and I don't like to eat right before bed. That and I had already hit all of my macros for the day prior to the workout. I'll be sure not to workout right before bed anymore so I cn eat sensibly around my workouts. Thanks!
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    Were you stressed or nervous while lifting? Maybe some guys creeping you out and upsetting your stomach?:devil:

Only experience with lifting and throwing up being directly related that I've had was when my friend wasn't breathing enough. But that caused him to throw up while we were still at the gym.

I'm just thinking nerves or coincidence.

I am very conscientious of proper form & breathing while lifting. Thankfully there were no creeps at the gym last night giving me nerves! LOL! Though I have noticed that since I've lost all this weight and am toning up, more guys are checking me out at the gym - creeps included. :laugh:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't think a workout and puking 5 or 6 hours later is related. I've come close to puking after sprinting to the finish is a race but a workout and puking are usually at the same time, not hours later.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I don't think a workout and puking 5 or 6 hours later is related. I've come close to puking after sprinting to the finish is a race but a workout and puking are usually at the same time, not hours later.

^ This.

The only time I've ever thrown up while working out, I was seriously hung over, so the cause was obvious. Go see a doctor if you're really worried about it.
  • munsterisque
    Options
    Puking after lifting is VERY NORMAL in power lifting gyms. In fact they have puke buckets logically laid out everywhere. Don't take my word for it, Google it.

It stems from high lactic acid build up in your body, and your stomach reacting to it. It only means you were going hard!
  • HonoriaLucasta
    HonoriaLucasta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'd forgotten about it until I read this, but when I first started exercising in earnest I used to get really nauseous after a hard workout if I didn't eat something pretty soon after working out. It was never six hours later, but there was definitely a delay of an hour or two. When I started making sure I ate something quickly after finishing a hard workout, it stopped. I'd make sure you get some decent food in pretty quickly after heavy lifting, or at least a substantial protein shake.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has thrown up a couple of times from an intense leg day but one time it was literally in the gym bathroom and the other he barely made it in the door to the trash in our kitchen...he says it's "normal" (whatever that means). I don't think 5-6 hours later would be related to the workout, maybe your stomach was just upset.

However, I hope I work out so hard I throw up one day!
  • samerzz16
    samerzz16 Posts: 102
    Options
    I have puked a few times when I first started training and I knew it was due to not eating enough calories before working out. Make sure your diet is in check and your getting enough carbs beforehand. If you know its not immune related it could just be due to a hard training session. On big leg days I would get a little light headed and feel sick if I didn't eat enough. After a few times I have learned my mistake
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your input. If it wasn't related to the workout, then so be it. I feel fine now. But I will be sure to get my workouts in earlier in the day and eat sensibly before and after.
  • 72MonteCarla
    Options
    I had another leg session today. Same thing... acid reflux - no puking yet. I ate carbs before lifitng and will eat more shortly. But I am certain now that there is a connection.