-Gifkingscom1511_zpsfe897d86.gif

:laugh:
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me think of this:

1319739621_baby_starts_fight_with_cat.gif

^ That kid totally deserved it.
    Your kid probably did something the cat didn't like, your cat defended itself.
    I grew up with cats my whole life, and *gasp* they didn't kill me.
    Your kid will learn to not bug the cat, and your cat will probably try and steer clear from your kid.
    Watch them when they are together, otherwise keep them apart.

This is the funniest thing I have ever seen!!!
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to reiterate the only real person (or creature) at fault here is the OP.

- The cat is not at fault. It is an animal. It was cornered and scared. It could not escape and was defending herself.

- The baby is not at fault. A 14-month-old is not capable of knowing how to treat an animal without the guidance of its parents.

- The OP is clearly at fault. She allowed her toddler to corner her cat. She allowed her toddler to be unsupervised with an animal that is known to be cranky and not like kids. She has not taught her child how to treat the animal and to leave it alone.

You can't blame an animal for acting like an animal, or a baby for acting like a baby. What you can blame is a parent who was negligent in caring for both her child and her cat.

It was an accident. Take it as a learning experience to teach your kid how to treat the cat.

What if OP just had to pee??!? Or there was an emergency with another child?! She cannot watch her kid and "precious" cat every second of every day. It isn't practical at all. She should be able to step away and deal with something else for a minute and trust her cat will not scracth her baby! Like I said before, I have a 6 month old puppy and he already knows, because we trained him, he is below the kids in the pecking order. My dog knows no matter what the kids do, he better NEVER snip at them. I refuse to blame the mom or the baby here. The cat needs to be dealt with and learn not to scratch the baby. If he does, he is out of the family. IT IS A FREAKING CAT!!!!

Sounds like mommy OP never even tried to teach the cat or the baby how to get along with each other.

If OP had to pee she probably shouldn't have left her toddler in the same room with the cranky cat. It's a CAT. And cats behave like CATS. If she can't handle having a feline in her house, getting a new kitten is the most ridiculous thing I've read all day.
  • flobeedoodle
    flobeedoodle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Pain is an excellent teacher, and the universe is not a friendly place. Learning to be cautious is almost as important as having two eyes. Protect your children as you wish, but understand that you do neither them nor the world any favors if you rear an idiot who cannot find his or her *kitten* with both hands and expects the world to adjust to him or her, instead of knowing how to move smartly and successfully through the world. Also, 14 months is old enough to learn that one cannot just do whatever one wants, free from cause and effect.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    This just seems like a parenting fail more than a cat fail. You shouldn't be letting your 14 month near your cat if she doesn't like children. If you feel the need to rehome your cat--go for it, she'll probably be happier, but don't replace her until your youngest child is old enough to act responsibly around animals.

Behavioral ethology doesn't reduce animals to anything less than they are.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You failed both your son and your cat. It is your responsibility to make sure the cat always has access to a safe place. You should also be assuring that the cat's nails are properly clipped so they are not sharp enough to do any real damage. Declawing is absolutely not necessary if you are willing to take responsibility for proper care.

I'm sorry, but you misspelled "child" in your second sentence.

Um, no. The child always has a safe place. The cat doesn't. The cat is not the aggressor. Neither is the kid, but see it from the cat's perspective here. You're just sitting somewhere, chilling and this larger organism starts bugging you. You have nowhere to go to escape this organism. They won't leave you be. You're trapped. What do you do? The cat reacted like a normal cat does when they feel trapped. Neither is at fault, but to punish the cat by ripping its claws out, putting it outdoors or abandoning it altogether is wrong.

That would make perfect sense....In an insane world where house cats and human infants are equals.

And clearly the child does not always have a safe place as it was clawed by the cat.

"Well the cat felt annoyed, so it clawed the kid's face. It's the kid's fault."

I don't own any pets. I hope you never have children.

Agreed I think Sterilization needs to happen from some of these responses. Poor babies :-(

Really? So because I understand why the cat did what she did, I would make a bad mom? Wow.....and people think I and others who are able to decipher cat behavior are the bad ones? You're suggesting we shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And people who have no kids shouldn't comment on a thread about kids! 'Nuff said!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Seriously, reading these posts make me understand why there is a phrase "Crazy cat lady". Wow.

No kidding. Some of you people are bat s**t crazy. This shouldn't even be a topic. Kid > Cat

Where did someone seriously advocate getting rid of the kid? Do you think a child's life is worse for having a pet or that there is no other solution than getting rid of the cat? Then say that, but don't act like people were saying "screw your kid, he'd look great with an eyepatch."

if your pet is hurting your child, then there absolutely is no other solution other than getting rid of the animal...
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    You failed both your son and your cat. It is your responsibility to make sure the cat always has access to a safe place. You should also be assuring that the cat's nails are properly clipped so they are not sharp enough to do any real damage. Declawing is absolutely not necessary if you are willing to take responsibility for proper care.

Um, no. The child always has a safe place. The cat doesn't. The cat is not the aggressor. Neither is the kid, but see it from the cat's perspective here. You're just sitting somewhere, chilling and this larger organism starts bugging you. You have nowhere to go to escape this organism. They won't leave you be. You're trapped. What do you do? The cat reacted like a normal cat does when they feel trapped. Neither is at fault, but to punish the cat by ripping its claws out, putting it outdoors or abandoning it altogether is wrong.

That would make perfect sense....In an insane world where house cats and human infants are equals.

And clearly the child does not always have a safe place as it was clawed by the cat.

Agreed I think Sterilization needs to happen from some of these responses. Poor babies :-(

Really? So because I understand why the cat did what she did, I would make a bad mom? Wow.....and people think I and others who are able to decipher cat behavior are the bad ones? You're suggesting we shouldn't be allowed to reproduce. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And people who have no kids shouldn't comment on a thread about kids! 'Nuff said!

But to the cat people this thread is about the cat. They don't really care so much about the child. Isn't that obvious?
  • justkate88
    Options

It'a indirectly about a kid. The main issue is actually the cat, and how the OP can manage the cat's behaviour. So maybe people who don't have a cat shouldn't comment here? Oh no, wait... it's a public forum.
  • Nice
    Nice Posts: 84
    Options
    Definitely agree with this. I have three cats and 3 children. If my cats scratch my kids I know it's because they did something mean to the cat and the cat felt threatened. I've taught my children to respect animals. They should not be hurting them. It's scary when they are young and don't understand you shouldn't hurt pets but you can teach them not to hurt your pet.

I also run a daycare where up to six additional children come to my home. I always have kids who go after my pets. They are taught quickly to not harm my pets or they will be scratched! I've never had an issue with either my children or my daycare kids with being harmed. May seem mean to say but the first scratch kind of does it for the kids. My cats are friendly but they have a limit and will not be tortured my children!

Replacing your pets is just cruel. It sounds like you are better off not having pets at all. You need to be willing to work with your baby and cat! Keep the baby away from the cat until he/she can learn to respect them. If your cat is a miserable bit$h who is out to get your baby..then you should consider other options. If your cat was defending itself..how can you blame the cat?

Maybe I'm a mean mom..lol..my kids are 5,6 and 13..if the cats scratch my kids..they probably deserved it.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    Seriously, reading these posts make me understand why there is a phrase "Crazy cat lady". Wow.

Defending the cat because most of them don't have kids.. Meow!

I'd hate to be raised knowing I came second to a cat in my parents' pecking order.

here's the thing...

Training your child not to bother your cat is not putting the cat above the child, it's teaching the child necessary survival and social skills to survive in the world at large.

What?! Please don't ever have children. Putting a toddler in a house with a cat that scratches if touched is a recipe for a scratched toddler. Toddlers take quite a long time to learn not to touch or do dangerous things, and they rarely learn "the first time." Besides, you can just as easily teach children to survive in this world without an aggressive cat. Ditch the cat, OP.

you obviously didn't read the original post.
    the cat doesn't scratch if touched.
    the cat scratched ONCE and as a reaction to being chased, cornered, denied access to it's "safe" place, and pestered.
    there's nothing wrong with the cat.
    and there's nothing wrong with children being children and LEARNING from bad experiences as well as good ones.

what's wrong is the usual overreactive people such as yourself who think the only answer is the simplest and the laziest
    "get rid of the cat" or "don't have children" for people who disagree with YOU.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    here's the thing...

Training your child not to bother your cat is not putting the cat above the child, it's teaching the child necessary survival and social skills to survive in the world at large.

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Yeah maybe if your son is planning to be the next Steve Erwin or Jack Hannah...? (wtf)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I would get the cat declawed. Even if you are against it or typically don't think it's necessary, it seems to be the best option.

No it's not the best option. Giving the cat to loving home is the best option if she doesn't want to deal with it.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Wow, some of these replies are pretty harsh, and clearly from non-moms. When your child gets hurt, you overreact. You freak out. And temporarily, you despise the thing that caused your child's pain, even if that thing isn't to blame.

Yes it's impossible for any of us to have empathy. There's no universe in which we could possibly understand because we've never given birth. You're SO right. How logical of you.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Pain is an excellent teacher, and the universe is not a friendly place. Learning to be cautious is almost as important as having two eyes. Protect your children as you wish, but understand that you do neither them nor the world any favors if you rear an idiot who cannot find his or her *kitten* with both hands and expects the world to adjust to him or her, instead of knowing how to move smartly and successfully through the world. Also, 14 months is old enough to learn that one cannot just do whatever one wants, free from cause and effect.

14 months is NOT old enough to learn that one cannot just do whatever one wants, that is when they start to explore their boundaries and even if they do understand it, it doesn't necessarily mean they will have it down to a fine art. Remember, toddlers all develop differently and at different rates..
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    My kid once banged her head on the door.

Should I get rid of all the doors in my house because the door HURT my CHILD?
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options

No kidding. Some of you people are bat s**t crazy. This shouldn't even be a topic. Kid > Cat

Where did someone seriously advocate getting rid of the kid? Do you think a child's life is worse for having a pet or that there is no other solution than getting rid of the cat? Then say that, but don't act like people were saying "screw your kid, he'd look great with an eyepatch."

What we are saying is that if the cat scratched the kid, it is at fault. Not the kid, as MANY people have stated. The kid's safety and health is more important than a cat's. People were saying how mean and cruel it is to hurt the cat by having it declawed. Our point is, these people don't want to hurt the cat, but are fine with the kid being hurt? I stay firm on my kid > cat.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

It'a indirectly about a kid. The main issue is actually the cat, and how the OP can manage the cat's behaviour. So maybe people who don't have a cat shouldn't comment here? Oh no, wait... it's a public forum.

Seriously. She's asking what to do about her cat, not what to do about her kid.
    Someone with a cat is a whole lot more likely to understand cat psychology and options for dealing with a cranky cat than someone who just has a kid.
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    To everyone saying their cats are just fine after declawing - please be aware that not all cats deal well with being mutilated. I have a rescue who was declawed before I got her - she won't jump up or down off of things because she's terrified she'll go sliding off - which she frequently does, she can't defend herself against other pets and therefore acts like a prey animal towards anything that moves - she was so terrified by another cat I attempted to rescue that she would literally crap herself while frantically running away. The declawing obviously had serious psychological effects on her.

Declawed cats are also more likely to become litterbox averse - the grains of litter can aggravate their paws where they've been amputated (and it IS amputation!) and they can permanently "learn" to avoid that experience even after they heal.

If you're thinking you can get rid of your cat for one with a more desirable personality because you want a new kitten, you're in for a LOT more biting and scratching from a kitten than you'll see from an adult cat who avoids your child except when aggravated. Kittens are playful and bite and scratch at anything that moves - even the "friendly" ones that you're teaching to supposedly "tolerate" your child. You are also not guaranteed to get a kitten that will have the kind of temperment you're looking for. Cats' personalities aren't really something you can design anymore than you can force your child to get shy if they are outgoing.

If you do end up getting rid of your cat because she lashed out when threatened by your child, you should NOT consider a kitten. You'd do much better with a rescue from a shelter or foster family who can vouch for the cat's temperament and who is over the playful kitten stage.

Just sayin'
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    here's the thing...

original?v=mpbl-1&px=-1

Yeah maybe if your son is planning to be the next Steve Erwin or Jack Hannah...? (wtf)

It's about teaching the child to respect the individual space of all creatures, human and non-human alike. It's a lesson that the kid will have to learn someday anyway so why not begin with the cat? :huh:
This discussion has been closed.