Question for Successful 30 Day Shredders

Options
I decided I want to challenge myself to do the 30 Day Shred, but I have a few questions for those who have done it and had success...

1) What was your workout schedule?
How many rest days? How many days to complete? How many workouts in a row?

2) Is it possible I'm just not at a high enough fitness level for this?
I can do the same number of reps with the same exercises with heavier weights, the same amount of cardio and abs over a longer period of time and be fine, but somehow throwing it all together in 20 minutes kicks my butt and I keep having to pause between circuits.

My thoughts are... maybe if I keep going I'll get to where I don't have to pause between circuits and can do it correctly, which brings me to my next question...

3) Did you work through soreness?
I did the workout once (the day after lifting weights which was probably a little dumb but what can I say, I underestimated the 30DS.)
The next day I felt so sore I thought it was a bad idea to try again... so did you workout again despite soreness until your body got tougher (as long as it's soreness and not pain)? Or did you listen to your body and rest.

This last one has been asked before, but I wanted to throw it in there for good measure to get some more responses...

4) Did you do any other workout along with this one? I noticed it doesn't seem to burn many calories and I'd like to burn more in a day. I was thinking of doing something low intensity, though, like a brisk walk or yoga.... maybe jogging at the most.

Replies

• cassondra1370
    cassondra1370 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    1. I just worked straight through it. If I felt like I needed a rest day, I took it. Then I doubled up the next day.

2. I would say anybody can do this. Start with the modified versions and work your way up. I used 3 pound weights to start and then moved up to 5.

3. The 3rd day was the worst as far as soreness goes. It about killed me, but I did the workout anyway. I haven't been really sore since.

4. I felt the same way about the calories. About twice a week I would do some other type of workout (Zumba, stationary bike, etc.)

Hope that helps! :happy:
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    No rest days. 30 days. One workout per day, 10 days of each.
    I was SO unfit when I did the 30 Day Shred, I'd not done any exercise in maybe 2-3 years.
    Yes, because after 5-6 days into level 1 I wasn't getting anymore soreness and didn't really get any major soreness (that lasted over a day) after I got into doing it every day.
    4) Did you do any other workout along with this one?
    No, I just started with this one. My advice to you is to do the same and if you want a higher burn, take some long walks. Don't overdo it as you are just starting out.
  • craigh04
    craigh04 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have just started doing this program as well. I did do it almost 2 years ago and really saw some great results. I had a baby 7 months ago so I'm getting back into a serious workout routine.

I found after the first time I was really sore, like I dreaded having to get on and off the toilet. I had to pause once during the first circuit but I was okay with the rest. I have been doing it for a week and a half now, I do it with the couch to 5k which seems to help burn more calories. I'm able to get through the whole thing without pausing and only slightly sore the next day. I have been doing it every other day and on the other days I do Leslie Sansone walk vidoes. As well I take my son for a walk most days as well. I have lost 2.5 lbs since I started.

I'm pretty happy with the results and feeling stronger already.

My suggestion keep at it and everyday it will get easier.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I completed the shred twice. The first time I hadn't exercised in about 10 years. I was really sore at first but pushed through it. I took no rest days. I would do 30 minutes on an elliptical and then do the shred followed by another 20 minutes on the elliptical. I saw great results with this. I used 5lb weights throughtout.

I revisited the shred about 6 months and 60lbs lighter. I used 8lb weights and was also doing additional core work after the shred. No soreness with this round but I still was getting a good workout.

I did all the advanced moves each time I did the shred. Push yourself and you'll see great results.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I do 6 days a week sometimes 7 depending on how hectic life is.
    It takes 30 days to complete

I have seen people with no strength do p90x. This will be hard, but it is a good start. Just do the moterate moves until you feel ready to move on.

I ALWAYS work out through the soreness. If not, I would be taking 3 day breaks and I don’t want that. Plus, it makes me stronger and the sore feeling goes away quicker.

4) Did you do any other workout along with this one? I noticed it doesn't seem to burn many calories and I'd like to burn more in a day. I was thinking of doing something low intensity, though, like a brisk walk or yoga.... maybe jogging at the most.

I started with the 30 day shred, and then felt it was enough so I added more in. Your body will tell you when you are ready for more.

Good luck!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    1. I did it every day for 30 days straight. I also did between 2-4 miles on the elliptical every day.

2. I've never worked out before in my life and finished the 30 days. (other than the elliptical for the past few months..never did weights, lunges, abs, etc..) I'm not overweight, but am no way in good shape either. I also smoke and drink a lot. So I'd think if I can do it, anyone can!

3. Yes, worked through the soreness. It goes away after a few days.

4. See #1!
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies so far. I have to mention the thought of working out every day for 30 days with no rest days, especially doing something that made it highly uncomfortable to sit and stand after doing it once, scares me. Is there some reason in particular that it's okay to do this for 30 straight days? Does that not put you at risk for injury?
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    1. I did the 30 day shred 5 days a week. Took me a little longer but I didn't want to stress my body.

2. I've never done strength training before minus using some machines with small amount of weights. It may be hard but that means you will get more of a calorie burn.

3. Unless I was extremely sore I worked out. I know what my body can handle and what it can't. If I was too sore, I used one of my rest days that day.

4. I go for walks every day and stuck with that. I tried to start the C25K program while doing 30DS but I wasn't ready for both.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

I did 30DS 3 - 5x a week. Took me over a month.

It's possible, but I doubt it. It will be hard, then it will become easier.

Sometimes, not always. Depended on the soreness. I'm more of a baby about leg soreness than arm/back soreness.

I walked my dog on off days. I needed the gentle aerobic activity and the stretching.
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1) I did it 5x a week. I read in other places that Jillian never meant you to do it with no rest.
    2) I wasn't very fit when I started so I had to make further modifications like I couldn't even do a girly push-up so I did them on a table edge. It gets easier the more you do it.
    3) Usually for the first few days, I just powered through the best I could resting or modifying as needed.
    4) I ran 2-3 days a week as well, doubling up some days and doing a long run with no 30DS one day and one day rest.
  • eggsmilkbread
    eggsmilkbread Posts: 184 Member
    Options

- I started out having NO rest days which went along fine until I got a cold and stopped for like 4 days.

- You will be if you keep on doing it regardless of what you think your "fitness" level is.

- I was barely sore at all, but if I was I did work through it.

- I ran a few times a week, started C25K somewhere in the middle of the program.

You can read my blog about my 30 days if you want, if you can find it. :flowerforyou:
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    You can do it straight through, if you absolutely need to take a rest day then take one. Don't take a rest day for the first week at least. Push through and after the 5th day you will find yourself getting better!

After the first few days I did the shred twice a day.
    Sometimes I did it along with JM's Ripped in 30 ....one in the morning, one in the evening.

Now I lift weights but I would NEVER knock the shred (it gave me my name) and it showed me that I was capable of doing something I hadn't done before and finishing it. Lots of people don't finish it so there's something to be said for not quitting.

As an aside, I ALWAYS tell people doing the shred not to do it on a hard floor or in bare feet and if possible put on knee supports - especially if you're doing it with weights which I was. Some people give themselves a bad knee jumping up and down on hard floors.

Best of luck!
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I did it three to four times a week. I ran or did the elliptical as well.
    I started workout one with 3lbs weights after the third or fourth time I switched to five pound weights. I think I ended up doing workout one 9 times, then I moved on to workout 2. Again I worked out 3 or 4 times a week. After the tenth workout, I moved on to workout three. I'm half way through workout three.

I've been steadily losing but that isn't all I do. I will run or do elliptical after the workout. Sometimes I do yoga, too. I don't workout everyday, because I want to do something I can maintain for many years. And I'm not going to go to workout everyday for the rest of my life.
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    1) I did it 5x a week. I read in other places that Jillian never meant you to do it with no rest.
    2) I wasn't very fit when I started so I had to make further modifications like I couldn't even do a girly push-up so I did them on a table edge. It gets easier the more you do it.
    3) Usually for the first few days, I just powered through the best I could resting or modifying as needed.
    4) I ran 2-3 days a week as well, doubling up some days and doing a long run with no 30DS one day and one day rest.

^This. Jillian Michaels herself suggests you take rest days. Also, if you're not getting a high calorie burn add a little more cardio but make sure you take measurements while doing this workout because that is where you'll see the results more usually than weight loss.
  • carfamily08
    carfamily08 Posts: 179
    Options
    1. I started off with the plan to go straight through, made it to day 14 (level 2, day 4) and hurt my back and from there on I just took it at a slower pace. I didn't have a set schedule, just listened to my body.

2. I hadn't worked out in years when I started, it was tough, I skipped reps at times, but I pushed through and came out a long stronger and with higher endurance on the other end. For example on Day 1 I could do like 4-5 modified push ups in a row before having to stop. By the end of the 30 Day Shred I could do all the traveling push ups in Level 3, unmodified.

3. For the most part, yes.

4. Most mornings I did a 10 minute fitsugar (Victoria's Secret trainer) workout while my kids ate breakfast. I did the 30DS in the evenings.
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it two days on, one day off, which is how Jillian recommended doing it according to her podcast (the 30 day thing means 2 levels x 10 days, not do it 30 days in a row)

I'm super duper out of shape and have never been physically active in my life (I was a geeky bookworm in school and hated exercise even then) I'm currently on Level 3 of the Shred.

If I'm too sore to do half the exercises correctly, I don't do it that day and adjust when I am taking my rest day.

I tried doing C25K at the same time, but I don't have enough time in the day at home. I'm finding according my hrm, I'm burning 150-250 calories doing the Shred, and that's fine for me. I also try to walk a lot.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Listening to Jillian Michael's podcast yesterday, someone brought up 30 Day Shred, she said its outdated and she pushed Ripped in 30. I've never done 30 Day Shred, but could barely get through week 2 of Ripped in 30...it is seriously hard.
  • heronfolder
    heronfolder Posts: 27 Member
    Options

1 a day. I didn't have scheduled rest days but had to take them when I'd been out at work all day (and evening) and time just didn't allow. I think I had maybe on average 1 a week so not many.

I can do the same number of reps with the same exercises with heavier weights, the same amount of cardio and abs over a longer period of time and be fine, but somehow throwing it all together in 20 minutes kicks my butt and I keep having to pause between circuits.

It's meant to be a challenge. Make sure you have water, take a sip where you need to. I'm doing ripped in 30 now, and she says it's not about doing it perfect, it's about EFFORT. So do your best :)

My thoughts are... maybe if I keep going I'll get to where I don't have to pause between circuits and can do it correctly, which brings me to my next question...

I did the workout once (the day after lifting weights which was probably a little dumb but what can I say, I underestimated the 30DS.)
    The next day I felt so sore I thought it was a bad idea to try again... so did you workout again despite soreness until your body got tougher (as long as it's soreness and not pain)? Or did you listen to your body and rest.

Yes I was sore after day 3 but I kept at it and the soreness DOES go away. You'll feel fine after day 5 or so.

This last one has been asked before, but I wanted to throw it in there for good measure to get some more responses...

Nope. Didn't do anything else.

I think I lost about 10lb doing 30 day shred and watching calories :)
  • beejelblor
    beejelblor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I finished level 2 day 10 this morning, and I am in a group where a ton of us are doing this... personally I think rest days are very important, even Jillian says to rest. I usually do 3 days workout then rest 1. It will take me a total of 41 days to complete it. As for the rest of the people in my group, its pretty split for working 30 days in a row or breaks.
    I think anyone can do this, just take it at your level so not to hurt yourself.
    Other then my rest days I did the workout even if sore, now if i were in pain I would take it case by case, like if maybe I injured my knee. But this has not happened.
    I for the most part did not, while in level 1 I did think the workout was not enough so 1 day I did it twice and realized that it was enough workout for me as a beginner. I do walk a lot though and take stairs a lot every day.

My results are AMAZING even only 2/3rds of the way through, and I began in decent shape. Keep with it and you will be very pleased!!!
  • lkeverett1
    lkeverett1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30ds. I am starting out slow. I am soooo out of shape! I have a curves member ship for another month so I am doing curves for 30 minutes and fast walking at least 20 minutes three days per week. I started doing the 30ds the other three days and resting on one day. The first day I did the 30ds shred I was huffing and puffing by the time I finished the warm-up and I only made it through about 1/4 of the first level, I thought I was going to be sick and I was so sore! By the third day I made it through the whole thing but I had to rest about three times. Now I am doing the whole thing and keeping up and I am not sore anymore. This seems to be working for me and when my curves membership ends I plan on doing the 30 ds five days per week with walking more for the other two days.