Need some food advice for a trip....

Options
KZOsMommy
KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
my family is going camping for the 4th. I need some really yummy and healthy food ideas for my family. Please NO NUT ideas I have three people in my family with a nut allergy.

Thank you all so much in advance :)

Replies

• amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    Options
    Last week I totally HATED String Cheese...but this week...it has grown on me! Its a healthy snack food. :-)
  • naomihandler
    naomihandler Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I went camping last week and we brought chicken skewers and pork sausages for dinners, we had lots of grilled veggies on the side. For lunches I just brought wraps and deli meat. For snacks hummas, carrots, celery, fruits, tortilla chips, and bean dip. For breakfast egg beaters and turkey bacon. I also brought some granola bars, I like the Cascadian Farm bars because they are organic and low in sugar. For smores bring low fat graham crackers. Otherwise have fun!!!!
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Granola
    Dried fruit - raisins, cranberries, bananas, apple chips, cherries (got these a few weeks ago - love them!)
    Rice cakes - my kids love the flavored ones

That's all I can think of right now....Have fun!
  • sonica7
    sonica7 Posts: 5
    Options
    My fave is grilled veggies skewers with pineapple. I use green and red bell peppers, red onions and pineapple with a bit of spicy BBQ sauce. Yummmmmmmm!

I also had a recipe for a curried chicken and rice salad which I have taken camping. It's served cold and made with yogurt - and raisins too!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Bring some bananas, they're filling and good for energy if you're hiking around. I also like dried cranberries, rice cakes, pita chips, blue corn baked tortillas and salsa. All stuff you don't need a fridge for.
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thank you all of the great ideas!!!

sonica7- I would LOVE to have that recipe for the curry chicken if you are willing to give it to me :happy:

I would love to have the ideas coming if you come up with anymore!

Thank you again!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    tinfoil tents with potatoes, carrots, zucchini, meat, butter and seasoning (each person makes their own and adds what they like) over the campfire

spaghetti

bagels with cream cheese for snacks

baked beans cook well over a campfire (in the disposable tinfoil squares)

popping corn