Dukan diet

Options
hgam1
hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
My colleague brought a magazine in to the office this morning about Dukan's diet. I am really intrigued and thinking on embarking on it. Has anyone out there ever tried this diet and how did it pan out? Or does anyone know what the pros and cons are?
Many thanks.x

Replies

• Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I've just googled it. Looks good and makes sense to me!
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    Did the google thing too. Think Atkins, gone off the deep end.
  • k_wills
    k_wills Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi...it's essentially a very low /restricted carb diet ...which is great for losing weight...but i think causes more problems when you don't stick to it or stop doing it, in that without reintroducing carbs very gradually into your diet...and with some people (like me) even whilst doing that, the weight lost comes back with a vengence...it seems to mess with your metabolism and even a very low calorie diet causes weight gain.
    I am battling my bulge as a result of doing a similar diet and my weight loss has been extremely slow...i've vowed not to "diet" anymore, just a healthy low calorie diet that doesn't restrict any food groups. And more importantly that i can sustain for a life-time.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As a rule, any "diet" that is described in a "magazine that a friend brought into the office" has about a 98% long-term failure rate.
  • dolliemixture
    Options
    my fiancé's sister just started this diet... this will be her second week. she lost 8lbs in the first week.
    the diet has 4 stages which is designed to teach people which foods they should eat and how to maintain their weight when they start to re-introduce balanced meals. if i'm not mistaken the dukan diet recommends 1 pure protein day per week for the rest of your life.

these are the 4 stages.

1 – A brief and headlong ATTACK phase with immediate results. During this phase, the diet is made up of 72 high-protein foods.

2 - A CRUISING phase leading to the ideal weight. During this phase, the diet alternates Pure Protein days (PP phases) and Proteins accompanied with 28 recommended Vegetables (PL phases).

3 - A CONSOLIDATION phase of 10 days per kg lost which prepares for the return to a balanced diet. Monitored freedom with a target of establishing this freshly conquered and still vulnerable ideal weight. This phase sees the gradual return of pleasurable foods with two festive meals.

4 - A definitive stabilization phase based on 3 simple, concrete, easy but non-negotiable measures. This phase is both the easiest and most essential in our slimming method because 95% of people who follow a diet put back on the weight they have lost.

there is a book you can buy to follow the diet
    or you can get more info online and even sign up online for a fee and get a personalised plan and daily emails from Dukan himself.
    http://www.dukandiet.co.uk/

Personally, i'd recommend buying the book first ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    If you go to eatright.org, the official site of the American Dietetics Association, you should be able to find a guide that lists the ways to recognize diet scams.

From the few comments about this dukan plan I have seen on this forum, I am betting that it contains every one of them.
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    thanks so much k-wills and azdak. I hear very sensible warnings from what you've written and definitely will not embark on it. I have lost so much already from sheer willpower, exercise and calorie counting that it'll be idiotic to cut corner for the want of losing just a stone and a half!!!

Thanks for your sound advice.:flowerforyou:

Ps- I'll also check the website you suggested.