My Cat Scratched My Baby...I Need Advice

Options

Replies

• PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    While I don't typically agree with declawing, if you really wanted to keep the cat and ensure that your little one doesn't get hurt, I think I could make an exception in this case.

Claw clipping could "help" but it's not going to solve the problem, they can still scratch though the scratches won't be as bad with blunt claws. Also consider that your cat might not even let you do that, depending on it's personality. The same thing goes for those rubber tip thingies. Though they might be a great solution, kitteh might kill you in the process!

What a situation to be in...it's hard for me to even think of one solid suggestion for you. I have two cats and can't imagine what I would do in your predicament. However, I can safely say that baby's welfare needs to come first...so...I would go with the following suggestions (in this order:

Try to clip/tip, see how that works for you.
    Give kitty a squirt from a water bottle when he's near the baby and say NO!...hopefully he'll associate the squirt with baby and keep his distance. Hell, I taught both of mine to give paw and that's much harder! :laugh:
    Declaw or find a new good home if all else fails.

Good luck!

So the cat gets punished because a child runs after it and scares it? That seems ridiculous to punish the cat by squirting for defending itself. :huh:

It also seems ridiculous that a child could have a life changing encounter with the cranky cat, because of course it's just defending itself. But because the cat is just defending itself, I guess we could teach the toddler that eye patches are cool
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Alright... now that my position has been established: TEACH YOUR KID TO LEAVE THE CAT ALONE!

I'm just going to leave this here because it just feels right. LOL!

tumblr_m1kgvyD5WQ1qiwfu6o1_400.gif

Can't believe this wasn't posted sooner. First thing that came to my mind lol. I just can't access it at work to post it.
  • tamerkins2
    tamerkins2 Posts: 212
    Options
    And I have both! Would still put my kid before my cat!

Teaching the baby that he is not allowed to play with the kitty is NOT putting the cat before the kid!!!

Right. But if kitty continues to scratch baby, then you have to make a decision about what's more important. Sounds like most people would choose to put the "feelings" of the kitty first (getting it declawed is cruel, getting rid of it is horrible, etc). If the kid is getting hurt because of the kitty, the kitty has to go.

I'm sorry... but if the cat was running away and trying to hide then it obviously wasn't the aggressor.

Nope, I still don't care who the aggressor was. Baby got hurt by the cat. Don't care why! The cat is the one that needs to go. My puppy learned to let my toddler climb on him, pull his ears and tail, without an agrressive response. Usually just a lick. It isn't that my baby is naughty, but because he is 20 months old and learning the world and testing his boundaries (and thinks the dog is fun to play with!). I live to protect my children, especially since they are at an age that they cannot protect themselves. As I've said, if my dog ever hurts one of the kids, it is him who leaves. No questions. My kids safety is #1 priority, not my dog's "feelings".
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

OMG, that's freakin terrible!! :laugh:
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Soft paw nail things, and start teaching the kid how to behave around the cat.
  • tejasmh87
    tejasmh87 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do hope OP finds a solution.

I am very happy that I will never have to deal with this situation. I'll take animals over children any day of the week.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    Seriously, reading these posts make me understand why there is a phrase "Crazy cat lady". Wow.

Defending the cat because most of them don't have kids.. Meow!

I'd hate to be raised knowing I came second to a cat in my parents' pecking order.

here's the thing...

Training your child not to bother your cat is not putting the cat above the child, it's teaching the child necessary survival and social skills to survive in the world at large.

What?! Please don't ever have children. Putting a toddler in a house with a cat that scratches if touched is a recipe for a scratched toddler. Toddlers take quite a long time to learn not to touch or do dangerous things, and they rarely learn "the first time." Besides, you can just as easily teach children to survive in this world without an aggressive cat. Ditch the cat, OP.

you obviously didn't read the original post.
    the cat doesn't scratch if touched.
    the cat scratched ONCE and as a reaction to being chased, cornered, denied access to it's "safe" place, and pestered.
    there's nothing wrong with the cat.
    and there's nothing wrong with children being children and LEARNING from bad experiences as well as good ones.

what's wrong is the usual overreactive people such as yourself who think the only answer is the simplest and the laziest
    "get rid of the cat" or "don't have children" for people who disagree with YOU.

I didn't read the original post? This is what the OP said: "My cat scratched my 14-month old toddler in the face last night, narrowly missing his EYE. She has never liked children, and we knew that, but last night the door to where she hides from our boy when he tries to play with her was closed. This can never happen again. One half of an inch higher, and my son would be in the hospital right now, being fitted with an eye patch. His life would be ruined forever. "

Call me overprotective all you want but I will always put my children before any pets, or above any other person that would cause them harm. It is impossible to monitor children constantly and if there is a cat who hates children living in the home, then that is a recipe for a problem. Perhaps, when you have children, you can speak to me intelligently about how to raise them, but honestly, I truly hope you never have children.

you simply assume I don't have children because I didn't over react and say "put the cat down" when the cat batted at the child after being persecuted, provoked and prevented escape.
    the child didn't lose an eye.
    they child would never have lost an eye from a cat scratch. anyone who HAS kids knows these things happen. the cat is not TRYING to hurt or damage the child.

the cat was trying to teach the child what the mother had failed to.
    LEAVE ME ALONE.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Man some of you people are completely freaking crazy, that cat would have been gone instantly. My kids are more important than any animal ever will be.
  • tamerkins2
    Options
    Pain is an excellent teacher, and the universe is not a friendly place. Learning to be cautious is almost as important as having two eyes. Protect your children as you wish, but understand that you do neither them nor the world any favors if you rear an idiot who cannot find his or her *kitten* with both hands and expects the world to adjust to him or her, instead of knowing how to move smartly and successfully through the world. Also, 14 months is old enough to learn that one cannot just do whatever one wants, free from cause and effect.

*claps*

thank you! I've been saying that for 14 pages!
    :laugh:

and apparently, I am no longer allowed to BREED now!
    :sad:

The phrase "pain is an excellent teacher" is concerning to say the least. My children are very well behaved becasue I taught them to be, WITHOUT them getting hurt. A baby shouldn't be taught something through pain.

so when your 14 month old child runs out into the street when you turn your head for a fraction of an instant or touches the stove, or a reaches for a knife or anything else that you overlooked for half a second (good parent though you might be) do you sit him down and have an hour long discussion about why he should not do that?

Maybe I am misunderstanding the question. What is the option, let him get hit by a car, because then he will learn not to run in the street because it hurt so badly?
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    between declawing or putting her down...

declaw....

while I love animals and I rescue (I have a rescued pitty currently), I feel that our first responsibility is to our human children's safety, then the animals.

I'd go with this. My cat's declawed. Just make sure that your kitty's going to stay inside before you make this choice. It took a little adjusting, but given your other options I think it would take less adjusting than getting rid of the kitty.

EDIT- my cat was not declawed because of an issue with my daughter. She's taught respect and she knows to leave the grouchy animals alone or she's gonna get scratched. (this isn't meant as a judgment just a statement) Also it can be helpful to have spaces that your cat can get away from kids. When certain nieces n nephews of mine come over I'm quite willing to let my cat go hide in my room etc, cuz he's not a toy and some kids aren't taught that.
  • Dad_of_3
    Dad_of_3 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Man some of you people are completely freaking crazy, that cat would have been gone instantly. My kids are more important than any animal ever will be.

QFT, +1000.

The baby comes first. Get rid of the cat, or next time it might just get the eye.
  • supernova08
    supernova08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i agree with some of these yes you cant have the cat scratching the baby but at the same time cat caps can help with that. also teaching the child that they cannot be rough with the cat is a MUST. most toddlers do not understand how to be gentle with things smaller or the same size as them, they don't understand they can hurt the animal. you cannot really fault an animal for defending itself if the toddler is hurting them. the main thing that you need to focus on is the fact that the cat did NOT end up scratching the child's eye and there are ways to train a cat as well as trainers but it is up to the owner to make sure that they maintain what is and is not acceptable. usually using a spray bottle of water can deter most bad behavior.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    if i had a choice between my baby's safety and my cat's nails, the cat's nails would lose every time. De claw his two front paws at least
  • abrewer563
    abrewer563 Posts: 122
    Options
    If you do get her declawed, you may also want to rip out your child's fingernails so that they can't scratch themselves. It's only fair.

Did you really just equate a human child to a pet? Are you serious right now?

Yes, I did actually. They're both lifetime commitments. You are responsible for their lives and their well-being. They have no other choice but to depend on you.

Think of how much pain you'd be causing her. Declawing isn't going to solve the issue. It will only make the cat more aggressive and she'll learn to bite. I can assure you that cat bites are way more serious and bacteria prone than cat scratches.

Why did you decide to bring a child into your family when you knew that your cat had an issue with them? Why did you not put a cat door into the "safe zone" immediately after having the child?

If you do decide to get rid of her, please do not get another pet ever again. Clearly you are not fit to have one.

Part of me is hoping that you have another child and then one of them hits the other and then you come back and ask us which one to get rid of...

I hate people... I double hate people like this...

Ah I love love love love this! :flowerforyou:
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Also something to keep in mind. Kittens have sharp claws, sharper than adult cat claws. They also grow and go through bratty phases where they can be real jerks. They also like to bite, especially when they're teething and losing their milk teeth. So if you're going to cruelly get rid of the elder cat and get a kitten, you'll probably get rid of that kitten too because your toddler will probably agitate him/her and they'll lash out too.

*waits for the 'don't ever have kids' responses.....*
  • tamerkins2
    Options
    If you do get her declawed, you may also want to rip out your child's fingernails so that they can't scratch themselves. It's only fair.

Did you really just equate a human child to a pet? Are you serious right now?

Yes, I did actually. They're both lifetime commitments. You are responsible for their lives and their well-being. They have no other choice but to depend on you.

Think of how much pain you'd be causing her. Declawing isn't going to solve the issue. It will only make the cat more aggressive and she'll learn to bite. I can assure you that cat bites are way more serious and bacteria prone than cat scratches.

Why did you decide to bring a child into your family when you knew that your cat had an issue with them? Why did you not put a cat door into the "safe zone" immediately after having the child?

If you do decide to get rid of her, please do not get another pet ever again. Clearly you are not fit to have one.

Part of me is hoping that you have another child and then one of them hits the other and then you come back and ask us which one to get rid of...

I hate people... I double hate people like this...

Soo... What IS your solution? If it isn't to declaw the cat or find it a new home? Keep the cat, so as to not hurt its feelings, but put the toddler in danger?
  • supernova08
    supernova08 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    totally agree with you
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    declaw the cat. I am an animal lover and have rescued stray dogs and cats just in case ppl start flaming me.

I would do this.
    This a good option but only if you NEVER let her outdoors because she would have no defense. Your child will have probably learned to avoid the kitty and needs constant supervision to learn how. on a lighter note, my grandson (when he was two) went through a biting phase. He tried biting one of their cats, who promptly bit him back (on the top of his head). Problem was solved.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Alright... now that my position has been established: TEACH YOUR KID TO LEAVE THE CAT ALONE!

I'm just going to leave this here because it just feels right. LOL!

^^ YES

FTR, I have kids and a cat. I chose to have both, they are all important, I take care of them all, and yes, sometimes that means keeping the kids away from the cat. It isn't mean to the kids. It's part of life, you can't do whatever you want to anyone / anything.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I had an older stray show up, and we had him declawed. It didn't bother him a bit, but IF you declaw them they must forever be an "inside " cat.

Not true.

I took in a stray, had him declawed because he scratched up everything in the house. He continued to be an indoor/outdoor cat, mostly outdoors. He would catch and eat ANYTHING! I watched him in the backyard actually snatch a robin out of the air as it flew in low over him. He was awesome! ... tell me they gotta forever be indoor cats... Pfffffft!!
This discussion has been closed.