Which Jillian Michael's dvd to start with?

Options
pfenixa
pfenixa Posts: 194 Member
I've been waiting to get a HRM to buy/try the Jillian Michaels dvds and I'm picking one up probably tonight. Then I thought: but which dvd should I start with? I know the No More Trouble Zones involves hand weights so I'm kinda avoiding that one since I only have 12lb hand weights (and don't want to buy smaller atm). I'm not sure if 30 Day Shred uses any weights, but a couple reviews seemed to indicate that this is the best one to start with out of NMTZ and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism.

So anyone that's used the dvds, what are your thoughts? Oh, and does 30 Day use weights?

Replies

• HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The 30 day shred does require hand weights, Just 5lb. It is a great workout! The best part is, it is easy to fit into your day because it is only 20 min!
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    the shred also uses hand weights but you can do both videos without handweights and it'll just lessen the resistance. i LOVE the no more trouble zones and the shred. the banish fat one has a lot of kickboxing moves that i find doesn't include a long enough warm up so i alwaus pull something when i do that one. good luck!
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    If you don't want to buy hand weights get 2 empty water bottle - a 500ml bottle full of water will weigh about 500g but if you want heavier put in sugar or somehting. Tape the lid to make sure of no leaks and away you go.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    The shred uses hand weights, if you're looking for a challenge with no hand weights try Jillian's banish fat boost metobolism. It will kick your butt, and all you need is a floor mat!
  • Bee28
    Bee28 Posts: 99
    Options
    LIke others have said, the shred requires hand weights. I rotate between 30 DS and banish fat, boost met. They are both great workouts and pretty intense. Something to keep in mind...30 DS is 20 min workouts and banish fat is about 50 mins including warm up and cool down. If you don't want to buy smaller weights, banish fat would be great to start with! I haven't done NMTZ but its mostly strength stuff and banish fat is mostly cardio. Whichever one you decide, I'm sure you'll be satisfied:flowerforyou:
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have all of her DVD's and i reccommend Boost Fat Boost metabolism. There are no handweights at all. You use your body weight. It is about 45 minutes long. Good luck!
  • wilkypoo
    wilkypoo Posts: 52
    Options
    Great info on Jillian's dvds here. However, I suffer with fibromyalgia and neuropathy so I'm wondering if she has a dvd that may be low impact for a beginner? Any suggestions?
  • Bee28
    Options
    I wouldn't say any of them are low impact but 30 DS starts with level 1 and as you progress moves on to level 2 and 3. She also instructs on how to do modifications if you need to. Most of the moves can be modified or slowed down so they are less impact.
  • pfenixa
    Options
    If you don't want to buy hand weights get 2 empty water bottle - a 500ml bottle full of water will weigh about 500g but if you want heavier put in sugar or somehting. Tape the lid to make sure of no leaks and away you go.

I was actually thinking of doing this to cheat, hehe.
    So from the sounds of it 30 DS is a good place to start. I love how the dvds are so cheap, so I'll probably pick it up tonight. Thanks for the input! :happy:
  • inforsey
    inforsey Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on this..

I own the Thirty Day Shred... But my previous experience has taught me that you do not target the same muscle groups everyday as muscles need time to recover. Is there another Jillian Michaels DVD out there that would be a good in between workout to keep the heart rate up etc. like Thirty Day Shred does?

Thanks for your feedback ladies and gents!

In health,
    -i.
  • pfenixa
    Options
    Ah that's a good question I'd like to hear about too.
  • Bee28
    Options
    As far as I know, she has just the 4 dvds...30 DS, no more trouble zones, banish fat boost metabolism, and yoga meltdown. Banish Fat is basically a hardcore cardio workout and will keep your heart rate up the entire workout while working several muscle groups. I think this would be best for in between 30 DS since it is cardio focused. I have been using banish fat for a few months and I still find it pretty challenging but I really like it. I started doing 30 DS a few weeks ago and rotate between the 2 and its going great so far! With both of these workouts I would recommend doing extra stretching on top of what Jillian does because my legs get very sore with just the 3 to 5 min stretch she does, especially for the legs because theres lots of squats and jumping moves.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on this..

I own the Thirty Day Shred... But my previous experience has taught me that you do not target the same muscle groups everyday as muscles need time to recover. Is there another Jillian Michaels DVD out there that would be a good in between workout to keep the heart rate up etc. like Thirty Day Shred does?

Thanks for your feedback ladies and gents!

In health,
    -i.
    I am doing a 30DS challenge on here, and I think I'm going to modify my workouts to look like this: level 1 one day, level 2 the next day, level 3 the following day, then start again on level 1. I also do other workouts, but I think this will work for the Shred.
  • pfenixa
    Options
    Just to check in, I've tried both No More Trouble Zones and the 30 Day Shred. Definitely start with 30DS! I only did Level 1 and I definitely knew I was done when she did the cool down. NMTZ is a straight 40 minutes and I pushed myself to do the whole thing...which didn't happen, lol. And I was soooo sore afterwards. I'm gonna work on 30DS and at least get to Level 2 before I try Burn Fat Boost Metabolism or doing NMTZ again. Super workouts though!