Weight going down but body fat going up?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
So I started lifting very consistently and heavy about 3 weeks ago. I feel amazing and much stronger. I can already see muscle definition where I didn't have any before. I am also losing about 1-2lbs a week but my body fat % if going up! I eat very clean and stay within my calories. I also eat about 1g of protein per pound of body weight. I have a scale at home that measures my weight, body fat %, and water. Why is my bf going up? It has gone up by 3% in 3 weeks despite the fact that I work out with heavy weights 4-5 times a week!???

Any suggestions or advice??? This is very discouraging!:sad: :grumble:

Replies

• krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Assuming what you said is all accurate and true, then the measuring instrument that calculates your body fat may be a bit off because the machine may recognize your own muscle mass as fat hence, you may have lost body fat but also gained muscle mass...
    As long as you look in the mirror and see the visual improvements then your scales may be a bit off... take it with a pinch of salt! :drinker:
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options
    it's your measuring insrument
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Those scales are extremely inaccurate and if you're retaining more water it will throw it off as well.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have a scale. I weigh myself under the same conditions every time and I pay attention only to longterm trends.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Home scales are way off for body fat %. I don't even pay attention except for a laugh. Yesterday mine said 32%. Today it was 38%. According to my doctor I'm around 26%.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks Kristina! When I had mine measured at a center last year it was 26%. My home scale reading was way higher and changed constantly! Ughhhhh!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is too large and your eating away your muscle..
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Your deficit is too large and your eating away your muscle..

huh?
  • catrunsintowindow
    catrunsintowindow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Regarding those scales: a tape measure and an online calculator are actually much more accurate. And cheaper.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56830
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Regarding those scales: a tape measure and an online calculator are actually much more accurate. And cheaper.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56830

Thanks! I will check it out!