I'm stuck! Need some encouragement !!

Options
I started out really strong and was doing great. Then with an injury ha to take some time off. Started back on it again. Not easy. It seems like it is hard to start losing again. I'm trying to log in food and if I don't I try to eat smart. I'm back going to the gym. I have signed up for a 5K in May. But at times I just can not stay focused and just get tired of waiting for some movent on the scale. I just need some help and encouragement .

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Life happens when you make other plans. Sounds to me like you need to be "all in" with your food journaling. Eating smart and not logging can bring unwanted consequences. My husband used to say that he thought he was eating reasonably healthy until he started logging his food on MFP - then realized just how UNhealthy what he was eating really was.

Not trying to discourage you - only you know what shape you're in and where you're at emotionally with it all - but almost sounds like you've got a lot of irons in the fire. I do admire you for jumping into the deep end, but I that for me, that's more than I could do all at once. My husband is more like you - he jumped right into doing the P90X workouts, then did Insanity and is now looking at doing a mini in a month and has been training for it.

To me, if I had to chose 1 to focus on, it would be the food intake and journaling. Especially if you're having trouble focusing.

For what it's worth...
  • sdalton06
    Options
    Well I don't know how long you were out with injury and how long you've been back to your routine, but coming back from time off can make it hard to get back into the swing of things. Things will become easier with time. As you do get back to form, increase your intensity. As I'm sure you know, our bodies are smarter than we think. They will adjust over time to most routines. And I would try to log as much as you can because sometimes eating smart can be deceiving. I feel like I'm rambling. Anyway, don't let the scale be the be-all-end-all decision maker of your progress. I was stuck at the same weigh for nearly 6 months. At the beginning I had a shirt that fit a little too tight around the chest. I put it back in the closet. 6 months later, same weight, that shirt fit amazingly. You got this. Everyone's got this. You just have to keep pushing. I'm out
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking of going to a dance fitness class one day a week. Hoping that will change something.
  • ShaktiB
    ShaktiB Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi Melissa,
    First pat yourself on the back for what you've accomplished so far. 14 lbs lost is pretty impressive :) As for the scale not budging, I seem to have pretty much the same problem for weeks now...I'm trying to remember there's nothing magical about weight loss as it's calories in-calories out so to lose weight you either need to be stricter with monitoring your food or to increase your activity level. Maybe get a fitbit or other device where you'll know EXACTLY how many calories you're spending a day...
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    First of all, step away from the scale, It is not a good measure of progress. I have yet to get below 150 since November (?) but I've seen many changes in my body. I wear smaller clothes, my butt is definitely higher and smaller, my legs are getting some shape, I feel better and stronger. But according to my scale, nothing has happened. Get a tape measure and a camera, and occasionally try on articles of clothing that were previously too small. You may be surprised.

Eat healthy food at a slight deficit, weight train (heavy) and do a bit of cardio on the off days. You'll get there.
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    everyone here has given some good advice... the scale is simply a tool and weight flucuates all day long... I weigh one thing in the morning and more at night so I dont get too upset with it. Look for changes in your body.. clothes fitting differently, energy level different. Injury is hard to come back from so take your time. Good job on the Five K sign up ( I do races too) use that as a goal to keep you motivated. I have been known to put my race registrations up on my wall to keep me going!!! Hang in there and slowly increase activity level.. it will work!!
  • jkprof
    jkprof Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Melissa, i can totally relate. i'd lost about 10 lbs very quickly with a lot of excersize and great motivation then i had a busy week at the office and a huge fall that made me have to completely quite for anotehr week and a half or maybe two. but, the good news is that with myfitpal i still kept track of my eating. i would encourage you to do the same. the scale changed a little bit maybe 4/5 lbs. but my body totally morphed back in to the old sloppy me. it was very discouraging. Today i've been back to the gym for about a week and a half with a lot of inbetween time just doing laps in the pool with a float because that was all my injuries could take. My UE workouts had to be cut in half and ab work is just barely coming back. I"m still in a bit of pain but i just want you to know that your mind is stronger than you think. Keep your focus, do what you can and get back into it with some self-forgiveness and moderation. it will be worth it. jk:smile:
  • jkprof
    jkprof Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    a Dance class sounds amazingly fun. Do it. Anything to burn those calories and get the endorphins flowing.
  • nvrgvup12
    nvrgvup12 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Go to that dance fitness class! I do Zumba 3 days a week and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It's a great feeling to burn 500+ calories with something that doesnt feel like real exercise!