My Cat Scratched My Baby...I Need Advice

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    And I have both! Would still put my kid before my cat!

Teaching the baby that he is not allowed to play with the kitty is NOT putting the cat before the kid!!!

Right. But if kitty continues to scratch baby, then you have to make a decision about what's more important. Sounds like most people would choose to put the "feelings" of the kitty first (getting it declawed is cruel, getting rid of it is horrible, etc). If the kid is getting hurt because of the kitty, the kitty has to go.

I'm sorry... but if the cat was running away and trying to hide then it obviously wasn't the aggressor.

Nope, I still don't care who the aggressor was. Baby got hurt by the cat. Don't care why! The cat is the one that needs to go. My puppy learned to let my toddler climb on him, pull his ears and tail, without an agrressive response. Usually just a lick. It isn't that my baby is naughty, but because he is 20 months old and learning the world and testing his boundaries (and thinks the dog is fun to play with!). I live to protect my children, especially since they are at an age that they cannot protect themselves. As I've said, if my dog ever hurts one of the kids, it is him who leaves. No questions. My kids safety is #1 priority, not my dog's "feelings".

This is Fluffy Monster:

nbdij4.jpg

I adopted her from a shelter. She is afraid of children because she was given to a toddler who was not taught how to treat an animal and was allowed to do whatever she wanted. Her tail was broken and I most likely imagine that she retaliated, and then beaten by the parents.

I don't think it is too much to ask to teach a toddler to stay away from the cat. The cat isn't seeking out the toddler... after all... the toddler is scary. Comparing a cat's behavior to a dog's isn't even relevant.

*edited to add - Please ignore my big ugly toes. Should've cropped that pic!
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Seriously, declawing hurts the cat. The cat hurts the baby. The baby is defenseless and you can't always be around. You know what you have to do. Give the cat away to someone with a lot of love in their heart.

^ This! Try to find a loving, responsible home for the cat and DON'T get another one! At least until your kid is old enough to understand how to treat animals.
  • Kmanouchehri90
    Kmanouchehri90 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow, some of these replies are pretty harsh, and clearly from non-moms. When your child gets hurt, you overreact. You freak out. And temporarily, you despise the thing that caused your child's pain, even if that thing isn't to blame.

Yes it's impossible for any of us to have empathy. There's no universe in which we could possibly understand because we've never given birth. You're SO right. How logical of you.

You can't. If you haven't given birth to a child there is NO WAY you can understand. You just can't. Empathize all you want, but until you have had a baby you will never truly know what it is like to have certain maternal reactions. I probably would have had some snotty comment like you as well before having a baby. Because I may be able to empathize, but I had no idea what it would be like. It isn't a logical feeling, it is purely emotional.

I was referring to one particular comment about her being a neglectful mother because an accident happened. That's just screwed up. We have no idea her parenting skills because her cat scratched her baby.

Edit to say: I have 1 cat, 1 dog, and a 6 month old. There are many options you can try before declawing and getting rid of her. Our cat was ruining our furniture, so we got the nail caps.They work perfectly. Your vet will put them on for you if you can't yourself (my vet does it for free I just have to buy the caps).
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,069 Member
    Options

I have kids. I have a cat. Keep this in context. You are making it sound like the cat went on a crazed rampage after the child. If that were the case, I would be the first person to say put that cat down. This was a completely different situation. Choosing to share your life with an animal in your home involves inherent risks, that should be evaluated prior to ever getting one. Choosing to climb walls, involves risks, but one evaluates those risks, does what one can to alleviate them, then takes an educated risk. Does not guarantee a life free of accidents. Injury can still occur. Does that mean the parent who takes their child climbing, is a poor parent for introducing risk?

At no point does a rock climbing wall decide for whatever reason it doesn't like my child's behavior and choose to attack.

Yes, having children and pets does involve risk. That's the whole point of the thread. At what point is it an acceptable risk.

The OP said her less than 2 year old child nearly lost an eye. So no, the pleasure of cat ownership does not equal my kid being blinded, in my eyes.

My two, functioning eyes. Because I hate cats.

No, climbing does not make a decision to attack, but equipment fails. There is user error, as well. Perhaps fastening the harnesses incorrectly. That's where learning how to climb as safely as you can, because you love it, makes sense.

The cat has cat behaviour, should we want to share our lives with a cat, we learn what those behaviors are and how to teach our children how to respond to and treat them. Because some of us love cats. Are there animals who are aggressive? Of course there are. If it sounded like an aggressive cat in the OP, my advice would have been very different.

I love my children. I have never placed our pets above my children, but I have taught the kids how to act with animals, thus animals share our lives and our home.
  • abrewer563
    abrewer563 Posts: 122
    Options
    While I don't typically agree with declawing, if you really wanted to keep the cat and ensure that your little one doesn't get hurt, I think I could make an exception in this case.

Claw clipping could "help" but it's not going to solve the problem, they can still scratch though the scratches won't be as bad with blunt claws. Also consider that your cat might not even let you do that, depending on it's personality. The same thing goes for those rubber tip thingies. Though they might be a great solution, kitteh might kill you in the process!

What a situation to be in...it's hard for me to even think of one solid suggestion for you. I have two cats and can't imagine what I would do in your predicament. However, I can safely say that baby's welfare needs to come first...so...I would go with the following suggestions (in this order:

Try to clip/tip, see how that works for you.
    Give kitty a squirt from a water bottle when he's near the baby and say NO!...hopefully he'll associate the squirt with baby and keep his distance. Hell, I taught both of mine to give paw and that's much harder! :laugh:
    Declaw or find a new good home if all else fails.

Good luck!

So the cat gets punished because a child runs after it and scares it? That seems ridiculous to punish the cat by squirting for defending itself. :huh:

It also seems ridiculous that a child could have a life changing encounter with the cranky cat, because of course it's just defending itself. But because the cat is just defending itself, I guess we could teach the toddler that eye patches are cool

So then the expectation for the child would be that if it was ever in danger they shouldn't defend themselves for fear of hurting the other person correct? Because that's basically the logic you're presenting.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Seriously, reading these posts make me understand why there is a phrase "Crazy cat lady". Wow.

Defending the cat because most of them don't have kids.. Meow!

I'd hate to be raised knowing I came second to a cat in my parents' pecking order.

here's the thing...

Training your child not to bother your cat is not putting the cat above the child, it's teaching the child necessary survival and social skills to survive in the world at large.

What?! Please don't ever have children. Putting a toddler in a house with a cat that scratches if touched is a recipe for a scratched toddler. Toddlers take quite a long time to learn not to touch or do dangerous things, and they rarely learn "the first time." Besides, you can just as easily teach children to survive in this world without an aggressive cat. Ditch the cat, OP.

you obviously didn't read the original post.
    the cat doesn't scratch if touched.
    the cat scratched ONCE and as a reaction to being chased, cornered, denied access to it's "safe" place, and pestered.
    there's nothing wrong with the cat.
    and there's nothing wrong with children being children and LEARNING from bad experiences as well as good ones.

what's wrong is the usual overreactive people such as yourself who think the only answer is the simplest and the laziest
    "get rid of the cat" or "don't have children" for people who disagree with YOU.

I didn't read the original post? This is what the OP said: "My cat scratched my 14-month old toddler in the face last night, narrowly missing his EYE. She has never liked children, and we knew that, but last night the door to where she hides from our boy when he tries to play with her was closed. This can never happen again. One half of an inch higher, and my son would be in the hospital right now, being fitted with an eye patch. His life would be ruined forever. "

Call me overprotective all you want but I will always put my children before any pets, or above any other person that would cause them harm. It is impossible to monitor children constantly and if there is a cat who hates children living in the home, then that is a recipe for a problem. Perhaps, when you have children, you can speak to me intelligently about how to raise them, but honestly, I truly hope you never have children.

you simply assume I don't have children because I didn't over react and say "put the cat down" when the cat batted at the child after being persecuted, provoked and prevented escape.
    the child didn't lose an eye.
    they child would never have lost an eye from a cat scratch. anyone who HAS kids knows these things happen. the cat is not TRYING to hurt or damage the child.

the cat was trying to teach the child what the mother had failed to.
    LEAVE ME ALONE.

So the cat was trying to teach the child now? The fun continues . . . Seriously, the reason I know you don't have children is because you think you can teach a 14 month child to never do anything stupid. Kids, particularly toddlers, are magnets to dangerous things. I don't know why, but I've witnessed it again and again with my own children and with children of friends. It leaves us shaking our heads, but it also causes us to make sure knives and other dangerous things are out of their reach, and it certainly would cause me to get rid of an aggressive cat.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I do hope OP finds a solution.

I am very happy that I will never have to deal with this situation. I'll take animals over children any day of the week.

Please tell me you are never going to procreate.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Alright... now that my position has been established: TEACH YOUR KID TO LEAVE THE CAT ALONE!

I'm just going to leave this here because it just feels right. LOL!

tumblr_m1kgvyD5WQ1qiwfu6o1_400.gif

^^ YES

FTR, I have kids and a cat. I chose to have both, they are all important, I take care of them all, and yes, sometimes that means keeping the kids away from the cat. It isn't mean to the kids. It's part of life, you can't do whatever you want to anyone / anything.

Smart woman.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Kids, particularly toddlers, are magnets to dangerous things. I don't know why, but I've witnessed it again and again with my own children and with children of friends. It leaves us shaking our heads, but it also causes us to make sure knives and other dangerous things are out of their reach, and it certainly would cause me to get rid of an aggressive cat.

Perfect response. Well, said.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Try clipping/filing/claw caps like suggested. Also, teach your kid not to bother the cat (hard, I know). If you get a new cat, it won't necessarily like babies and toddlers, so you shouldn't get a kitten hoping it likes kids. Cats have certain temperaments that are built in a lot of the time, much like people.

And if the clipping/claw caps don't work, I would recommend declawing. I know people think it's really inhumane (and I will never declaw a cat again), but it'll be a lot crueler to put your already stressed out cat in an already full shelter and get her adopted.

One thing you could try if you really have to get rid of her is having an animal adoption agency allow people to visit her in your home and see if they can meet and adopt her that way.
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Declawing is sick.

You can file your cats claws down and have those soft paws put on. They are rubber claw caps. You will need to it once a month but it works and doesn't bother the cat.

Any other choice shouldn't really be an option. If you put her outside it's a death sentence.
  • KCGettinFit2014
    Options
    We had a cranky old cat that would be your friend when she felt like it. She took a swipe at my middle son when he was a baby and within the same weak scratched my on my face close to my eye so bad that I have a scar to this day almost 2 years later. We kept her for a bit longer but unwilling to risk our son over an animal the cat went to live with my inlaws until they found an agency willing to take her. Animals are most definitely family members but when push comes to shove, the kids come first.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I have kids. I have a cat. Keep this in context. You are making it sound like the cat went on a crazed rampage after the child. If that were the case, I would be the first person to say put that cat down. This was a completely different situation. Choosing to share your life with an animal in your home involves inherent risks, that should be evaluated prior to ever getting one. Choosing to climb walls, involves risks, but one evaluates those risks, does what one can to alleviate them, then takes an educated risk. Does not guarantee a life free of accidents. Injury can still occur. Does that mean the parent who takes their child climbing, is a poor parent for introducing risk?

At no point does a rock climbing wall decide for whatever reason it doesn't like my child's behavior and choose to attack.

Yes, having children and pets does involve risk. That's the whole point of the thread. At what point is it an acceptable risk.

The OP said her less than 2 year old child nearly lost an eye. So no, the pleasure of cat ownership does not equal my kid being blinded, in my eyes.

No, climbing does not make a decision to attack, but equipment fails. There is user error, as well. Perhaps fastening the harnesses incorrectly. That's where learning how to climb as safely as you can, because you love it, makes sense.

The cat has cat behaviour, should we want to share our lives with a cat, we learn what those behaviors are and how to teach our children how to respond to and treat them. Because some of us love cats. Are there animals who are aggressive? Of course there are. If it sounded like an aggressive cat in the OP, my advice would have been very different.

I love my children. I have never placed our pets above my children, but I have taught the kids how to act with animals, thus animals share our lives and our home.

So was the cat not aggressive because it only came close to clawing the kid's eyeball? Had it actually dug a claw into a 14 month old child's eye could we maybe then decide that the cat was feeling a bit moody that day?

The cat can have all the cat behavior it likes. We can sit down with cat psychologists to examine the cat's feelings and see if twice weekly therapy sessions might prevent the cat from attacking again.

While you do that I'm gonna throw out the mangy animal that attacked my kid.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: we're almost done here folks. This has to be the fastest I've ever seen a thread hit 500 replies. Kudos to us and our incessant bickering!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I had an older stray show up, and we had him declawed. It didn't bother him a bit, but IF you declaw them they must forever be an "inside " cat.

Not true.

I took in a stray, had him declawed because he scratched up everything in the house. He continued to be an indoor/outdoor cat, mostly outdoors. He would catch and eat ANYTHING! I watched him in the backyard actually snatch a robin out of the air as it flew in low over him. He was awesome! ... tell me they gotta forever be indoor cats... Pfffffft!!

My cat hunts with no front claws too, but he doesn't defend himself from toms very effectively so I try to keep him in at night, but ultimately I leave it up to him. I've had him since he was a kitten and he was intended to be a pure indoor kitty but he disagreed with that so no point in trying to force it.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    And I have both! Would still put my kid before my cat!

Teaching the baby that he is not allowed to play with the kitty is NOT putting the cat before the kid!!!

Right. But if kitty continues to scratch baby, then you have to make a decision about what's more important. Sounds like most people would choose to put the "feelings" of the kitty first (getting it declawed is cruel, getting rid of it is horrible, etc). If the kid is getting hurt because of the kitty, the kitty has to go.

I'm sorry... but if the cat was running away and trying to hide then it obviously wasn't the aggressor.

Nope, I still don't care who the aggressor was. Baby got hurt by the cat. Don't care why! The cat is the one that needs to go. My puppy learned to let my toddler climb on him, pull his ears and tail, without an agrressive response. Usually just a lick. It isn't that my baby is naughty, but because he is 20 months old and learning the world and testing his boundaries (and thinks the dog is fun to play with!). I live to protect my children, especially since they are at an age that they cannot protect themselves. As I've said, if my dog ever hurts one of the kids, it is him who leaves. No questions. My kids safety is #1 priority, not my dog's "feelings".

This is Fluffy Monster:

nbdij4.jpg

I adopted her from a shelter. She is afraid of children because she was given to a toddler who was not taught how to treat an animal and was allowed to do whatever she wanted. Her tail was broken and I most likely imagine that she retaliated, and then beaten by the parents.

I don't think it is too much to ask to teach a toddler to stay away from the cat. The cat isn't seeking out the toddler... after all... the toddler is scary. Comparing a cat's behavior to a dog's isn't even relevant.

*edited to add - Please ignore my big ugly toes. Should've cropped that pic!

Poor Kitty!! But she looks happy now!
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your animal is your responsibility just as much as your child is. You commited to buying and animal and giving it the best life you can give it. I don't care how amazing your pet is (cat, dog, gerbil, duck, rabbit...), you MUST supervise children and animals at all times. There was the sweetest, most beautiful chocolate lab at the animal shelter whos family gave him away because he "knocked over" their toddler. Well, duh he knocked it over! Just watch your cat and keep them separate until your child is old enough to understand how to correctly play with the animal/
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Your animal is your responsibility just as much as your child is. You commited to buying and animal and giving it the best life you can give it. I don't care how amazing your pet is (cat, dog, gerbil, duck, rabbit...), you MUST supervise children and animals at all times. There was the sweetest, most beautiful chocolate lab at the animal shelter whos family gave him away because he "knocked over" their toddler. Well, duh he knocked it over! Just watch your cat and keep them separate until your child is old enough to understand how to correctly play with the animal/

You have got to be kidding!! My lab knocks people over with her tail alone........thunder tail!!
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Options

You have got to be kidding!! My lab knocks people over with her tail alone........thunder tail!!

Sad, right? Some people should never own pets. Kids always need supervision no matter what.

Cats are shady as hell anyway lol
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,069 Member
    Options

So was the cat not aggressive because it only came close to clawing the kid's eyeball? Had it actually dug a claw into a 14 month old child's eye could we maybe then decide that the cat was feeling a bit moody that day?

The cat can have all the cat behavior it likes. We can sit down with cat psychologists to examine the cat's feelings and see if twice weekly therapy sessions might prevent the cat from attacking again.

While you do that I'm gonna throw out the mangy animal that attacked my kid.

MOST IMPORTANTLY: we're almost done here folks. This has to be the fastest I've ever seen a thread hit 500 replies. Kudos to us and our incessant bickering!

HUZZAH. Hooray for us.

No, Brett. That was not aggressive cat behavior., and was not an attack. Luckily, you are aware of your hatred for cats and shall never choose to have one. The sarcasm about the psychologists was uncalled for.
  • Chrisgrz
    Chrisgrz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    TLDR every page; I don't care what kind of "Animal Lover" you are. If you would honestly say that putting a cat in a shelter (even a no kill shelter) is better than having the declawing done, then something is wrong with you. I've worked in shelters on a voluntary basis from time to time, it's disheartening to see an older cat (not a cute itty bitty witty kitten) get passed over and over just because of age. Let alone the op's which seems to be a very leave me alone type.

@OP if declawing promotes you keeping this cat and providing for it, do it. Much more humane than sticking it in a shelter possibly for the rest of it's life.
This discussion has been closed.