Why oh why can't I lose?!

Options
I am really starting to hate this stupid game of trying to lose weight. I have been doing this for 6 months to only lose 22 pounds. It should be a simple equation right? Eat less, move more, lose weight. Yet when I put that equation into motion I gain or stay the same. I have been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds for the last 3 or 4 months. I know that I am moving enough so why am I not losing the weight? It would be much eaiser to just give up. I know that I am getting healthy, I am stronger and can do more things for longer periods of time, but I would love to see the scale and my pants size go down.

Replies

• MistahLee31
    MistahLee31 Posts: 116
    Options
    It could be water retention. I'm finding that I'm losing the same weight then putting it on again. I've reached a stage at the moment where no matter what I do, I can't seem to get back to the weight I lost a bout 6 weeks ago! :frown:

Stick to it and I'm sure the results will come. :smile:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for your cardio?
    And I'd love to make some food suggestions but your food journal isn't public.
  • bjstrong
    bjstrong Posts: 11
    Options
    It may be what you are eating, for example, too much fat or sugar, not enough protien or fiber. Have you measured yourself? That is where bigger changes are in store for anyone. Just a few suggestions cause these were changes I had to make.
  • ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been at a plateua for about 5 months as well. I just broke out of it this past week. I find it is so hard to drop into a new number set. Like when I weighed 190 it took me forever to drop into the 180's. I don't know if it is a psychological thing with me or what. But to break my plateua I had to revamp my meals and add lots of fruits and veggies. I cut out all pop and fast food. I only drink water, milk, gatorade(occassionally), and V8 Fusion. I also intensified my workout routine. I had been doing videos and now I am bicycling. I completed a 50K just this past week. Since I have revamped eating and excercise I have not had any problems losing weight. Good Luck and don't give up! It can be very trying to watch the scale stay the same when you are working so hard but just know that eventually the plateua will break. Keep trucking girl!!! :)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You might want to open up your food diary so we can take a look at it so we can give you some ideas. This web story might ive you some ideas, too:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight-pictures/12-reasons-youre-not-losing-weight.aspx?xid=nl_MyCalorieCounterNewsletter_20100625
  • KLCole
    KLCole Posts: 22
    Options
    Hey there! I had the same problem. I hit a plateau for 4 months even though I was working out every day and eating right. I found out that my problem was that I needed to eat more frequent and smaller meals. Once I started eating 5 smaller meals a day of at least 280 calories with lots of fiber and protein with less carbohydrates, the weight started to really fly off and I started to see the results.

You are young and still have a very high metabolism. If you switch up your eating habits, it might knock you out of the holding pattern with the weight.

Good luck and please let me know if I can support you in any way!
    Karen
  • krex
    krex Posts: 29
    Options
    I totally hear what your saying! I have been trying to lose weight since January and I've only lost like 10-12 pds. I'll lose some and then I gain more and then I'll lose 1 pd and so on...it's like I yo-yo between these 10 pds. I have been drinking way more water this week and I've been taking some water pills. I'm not sure if its water that keeps me doing the yo-yo thing but I too would like to know what's up!! Hang in there, I'm trying! :flowerforyou:
  • jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    Options
    I exercised faithfully for two years - really hard too, and I never lost any weight. I was fitter, I had more muscle, I was sleeping better, but the scale would not budge. I was ready to give up when I finally attended a nutrition class. Aha! I had been eating all the calories I was burning in the gym! I started a food journal (which lead me to find this site) and as soon as I did the math on how many calories I had to spend per day, the weight came off! I used to resent being "on a diet" but once I started seeing the weight come off, it was SO worth changing my lifestyle to see the results. You just have to decide which you want more...the food you've always been comfortable with or the new you that is waiting just around the corner!

Feel free to check out my food diary and if I can help you with anything, just let me know!!
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options
    I was stuck in this for the last month or so as well. i havent broken through yet, but I am going to start water pills. i was told that a lot of what I might be holding onto is water weight. If I can break that i might be able to get farther int his game. Good luck to you!
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Up, up, up your water intake. That is often a great place to start.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Actually 22 pounds in 6 months is the healthy way to go. A pound a week would be 24 pounds, so you are right around on target. If you don't have much to lose (or much more) it can be a lot harder than if you have more to lose. I lost 20 pounds really quickly (though still in the healthy range of 1-2 a week) but the next 10 came off slower and the 10 after that came off even slower. I am now down to my last 20 (I hope) and it is draaaaaging and like you I keep yo-yoing the same 5 pounds. This past week I did really well and I only lost half a pound.

Be patient, change up your routine so you don't get bored and so that your body doesn't get too used to it. Keep drinking water and keep eating healthy and you'll see results eventually. But even still 22 pounds is awesome, so keep your chin up!
  • kawade80
    kawade80 Posts: 44
    Options
    I am doing the Insanity program for my workouts right now. As for my food diary, I don't log it everyday on here but I do in my notebook at home. I stay around 1300 or 1400 calories everyday. I dont eat fast food, I don't drink soda's. Very litlle milk and a ton of water evey day. Yes I measure, and no real changes there either. That is why I am at such a loss. I know that it is going to take time, but it is very discouraging to know that you are putting in the effort and not getting any results.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    I was stuck in this for the last month or so as well. i havent broken through yet, but I am going to start water pills. i was told that a lot of what I might be holding onto is water weight. If I can break that i might be able to get farther int his game. Good luck to you!

I know you didn't ask, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but often retaining water is because your not getting enough water, so your body is holding on to what it does have. Unless the pills were recommended by a doctor, I would skip them and just drink more water. Everyone should get at least 8 glasses a day, but I heard you also need to increase it depending on how much weight you want to lose. Of course I have difficulty even drinking 8, but it's just something to think about.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1300-1400 cals or netting 1300-1400 cals?

Because if you are only eating 1300-1400 and doing Insanity on top of that, you are NOT providing your body with enough fuel so it is holding onto everything you put into your body because it's not getting enough.

If you are netting 1300-1400 cals, try upping it by 100 or 200 cals and see how that works.
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options
    Youre in starvation mode. If you are taking in 1300-1400 calories and then burning them off in insanity (which from what Ive hard is a tough little workout) you are in starvation mode. revamp your calories, I had to figure that out the hard way too. You can eat and teh weight will come off. Its like eat new calories exercise off old stored fatty ones...
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    I am doing the Insanity program for my workouts right now. As for my food diary, I don't log it everyday on here but I do in my notebook at home. I stay around 1300 or 1400 calories everyday. I dont eat fast food, I don't drink soda's. Very litlle milk and a ton of water evey day. Yes I measure, and no real changes there either. That is why I am at such a loss. I know that it is going to take time, but it is very discouraging to know that you are putting in the effort and not getting any results.

One other suggestion....I don't know what the insanity program is, but just judging by the name it sounds like it would burn a lot of calories. Do you eat your exercise calories? Some here don't, some do (I do) but if you're not losing and you're not eating them, definitely start eating them and see if you notice a difference. If this is the issue, you may actually not be getting enough calories and that is why your weightloss is at a standstill.
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I dontknow what to suggest but I do know that giving up isn't the answer : ))
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    Actually 22 pounds in 6 months is the healthy way to go. A pound a week would be 24 pounds, so you are right around on target. If you don't have much to lose (or much more) it can be a lot harder than if you have more to lose. I lost 20 pounds really quickly (though still in the healthy range of 1-2 a week) but the next 10 came off slower and the 10 after that came off even slower. I am now down to my last 20 (I hope) and it is draaaaaging and like you I keep yo-yoing the same 5 pounds. This past week I did really well and I only lost half a pound.

Be patient, change up your routine so you don't get bored and so that your body doesn't get too used to it. Keep drinking water and keep eating healthy and you'll see results eventually. But even still 22 pounds is awesome, so keep your chin up!
    Ditto!
  • stuttgartchick
    Options
    i know the feeling as well. every once in a while you hit one of those plateaus and it just won't go down anymore. and as stupid as it sounds you have to sit it out. because it will move again. sometimes it might be that you need to adjust your calorie intake since you are at a now lower weight or that you have more water in your system. maybe you should increase your cardio a little bit. just never give up!!! since august of last yr i have lost 54 lbs now and i hit a lot of plateaus on my way i powered through and it paid off. just now that i am at the "normal" weight range and really close to my goal weight i find it much harder to lose any at all but i guess thats normal too.
    Good luck to you and believe in yourself it will happen!!!!