Fitbit showing caloric defecit, no weight loss

Options
My fitbit is showing a caloric deficit of 7,000-8,000 a week but I'm not losing any lbs. Supposedly if you create a 3500-calorie deficit through diet, exercise or a combination of both, you will lose one pound of body weight. (On average 75% of this is fat, 25% lean tissue) If you create a 7000 calorie deficit you will lose two pounds and so on.

Why isn't this working for me?

Replies

• HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was on the Fitbit 1000 calorie per day deficit plan, and my weight loss stalled. It made no sense, I was walking/running 10 miles per day and eating at a 1000 calorie per day deficit for weeks and one week I actually gained a pound! So, I started eating more, and I've dropped 3-4 pounds since I started eating more. Now, I'm basically eating at 20% less of TDEE and that is working and I feel awesome.
    By the way - I tested my Fitbit against my HRM and the calories that Fitbit reported me burning were the same as the HRM, so I'm pretty confident I was burning what they say.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You've lost 20 lbs and only have 12ish Lbs to go. You should be eating at a much smaller deficit at this point...like 1/2 lb per week. With so little left to lose, you cannot sustain such a massive deficit...the less weight you have to lose, the slower it has to be. Your body is telling you enough is enough and stalling. You're in a plateau, time to up the calories a bit.
  • JanieElise
    JanieElise Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So instead of 1200 calories, up it to maybe 1600? How do I find the right number?
  • JanieElise
    Options
    I was on the Fitbit 1000 calorie per day deficit plan, and my weight loss stalled. It made no sense, I was walking/running 10 miles per day and eating at a 1000 calorie per day deficit for weeks and one week I actually gained a pound! So, I started eating more, and I've dropped 3-4 pounds since I started eating more. Now, I'm basically eating at 20% less of TDEE and that is working and I feel awesome.
    By the way - I tested my Fitbit against my HRM and the calories that Fitbit reported me burning were the same as the HRM, so I'm pretty confident I was burning what they say.

That's good to know about the accurate calorie burn!! I love my fitbit!!!
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with a similar issue the past 6 weeks. I am trying to back down my exercise to see if that makes a difference.
  • JanieElise
    Options
    I have been struggling with a similar issue the past 6 weeks. I am trying to back down my exercise to see if that makes a difference.

Let me know how that works for you and 173 pounds is freaking awesome!!!
  • BernaBea
    BernaBea Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, You should try lowering your intake of fat a day to no more than 20 grams and increase your fiber intake to at least 30 grams. I try not to eat carbs after lunch. By that I mean no pasta, bread or heavy carbs. I also drink a full glass of water before every meal to help fill me up. The last thing, if you are drinking diet soda, you need to ditch that! Hope this helps. Best of luck on your journey!