700 net calories?

Options
I am so confused. I read this topic a few minutes ago, where someone ate 1000 kcal a day and that isn't healty, but the thing is I eat around 1100 too and I'm 5ft7 and my weight is around 128 lbs. Is this why I am not loosing weight? Am I eating too few calories?
I do Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 every day and I try to do her killer buns and thight every day too, or at least every other day, and I have a deficit of at least 500 kcal every day and I then have a net on 600-700. Is this unhealthy? Am i following MFP all wrong? I thought I was doing it right, but I guess not. Anyone who can tell what I am doing wrong? Aren't I suppodes to follow MFP recomended calorie-thing?

Replies

• sara0ann
    sara0ann Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, your calorie intake is very low. If you're recommended intake is 1100 kcal, then you should be eating at least 1500 if you're burning 400-600 calories working out. Your net calories should always hit 1100. Having a deficit of 500 calories is a great goal, but you need to make sure that intake hits 1100 AFTER the calories burned is taken off...

I hope this makes sense!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    All wrong. I'm guessing you are skin and bones and surprised you have the energy to do any type of exercise routine. Do a forum search for "road map 3.0" and read the first post. You are running some dangerous deficits. If you run that kind of deficit every day, I'd guess you should be eating at least 2K/day.
  • fayeonherway
    Options
    I am so confused. I read this topic a few minutes ago, where someone ate 1000 kcal a day and that isn't healty, but the thing is I eat around 1100 too and I'm 5ft7 and my weight is around 128 lbs. Is this why I am not loosing weight? Am I eating too few calories?
    I do Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 every day and I try to do her killer buns and thight every day too, or at least every other day, and I have a deficit of at least 500 kcal every day and I then have a net on 600-700. Is this unhealthy? Am i following MFP all wrong? I thought I was doing it right, but I guess not. Anyone who can tell what I am doing wrong? Aren't I suppodes to follow MFP recomended calorie-thing?

I am pretty sure someone who is 5ft7 and 128lbs is on the low end of a healthy BMI and you are consuming a dangerously low calorie intake. If you are trying to tone your body doing Jillian Michaels, you will probably get better results if your body has fuel and proper nutrition. Fuel comes from food.
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    Wait, so am I supposed to be as close to my net kcal each day? And as close to my weekly net goal also? I men, is it supposed to be 0 left? I feel so stupid. Am I supposes to have 0 remaining calories each day?
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Do not net below 1200, in fact you are tall and should net much higher than that even. I would try to net 1500 daily at least. I am only 5'3" and I net 1800 a day to lose.

If you eat 1500 calories and you then exercise and burn off 500 calories, eat 500 more calories so you net 1500 calories.
  • sara0ann
    sara0ann Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wait, so am I supposed to be as close to my net kcal each day? And as close to my weekly net goal also? I men, is it supposed to be 0 left? I feel so stupid. Am I supposes to have 0 remaining calories each day?

Simply put, yes!
    1100 net calorie is the LOWEST it should be! It is very dangerous to have a net calorie lower than 1000 (This is commonly the place that your body will move into starvation mode). Even 1100 isn't particularly healthy!

:)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    if you have 1100 cals for the day, that means NET not CONSUMED. If you don't exercise, then you would eat 1100. if you exercise and burn off 500 cals, the way MFP is set up means that you eat back those cals, so technically you will be eating 1600, but because you burned off 500 you would be NETTING 1100. Does that make sense?

I also agree with another poster, I would highly suggest searching the road map, or using one of the calculator sites to make sure you are eating the right amount of cals for you. We do not all have some predisposed number, we all require different amount of cals, and this could be why you are struggling. I just got my RMR professionally tested and found out I was eating 1000 cals less than I should be. Upped my cals and things are starting to change FINALLY.

Hope this helps, I know it can all be confusing and I didn't understand anything about net cals till I joined this site and started listening to a lot of the very well educated people on here :)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

As close to 0 as possible. If you meet your MFP calorie goal, you're still eating at a deficit. Depending on what stats you put in when you signed up for the site determines what calorie goal MFP gives you to lose your desired amount of weight per week (for instance, if you say you want to lose 2lbs a week, it will create a 1,000 calorie deficit from what it thinks your maintenance calories are). At 5'7", I'm sure that 1100 net calories is nowhere near what you would have to eat to maintain your current weight.
    It sounds like you might be happier losing body fat as opposed to scale weight, which would require you to lift heavy weights and eat a lot more. There are some great groups on this site that can give you lots of information on how to do that, including "Eat More To Weigh Less" and "Eat, Train, Progress".
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    You're tall, so your recommended calorie intake will be high. I know that will look like a huge number at first, and you may be concerned that you won't reach that/you won't lose weight if you do. But I've found that my biggest losses occur on weeks where I am eating closest to my calories (nearly 2000 a day). Just stick to what MFP gives you. If you're eating semi-healthy calories, and working out where you can, you'll do fine.
  • workingtwerking
    Options
    Well, seems like I've got a whole lot of eating to do from now on then! (Y)
  • FITNLUVINIT
    FITNLUVINIT Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Agree!!!!! way to few calories and I am 5'6 and my goal weight is 125 so I don't understand why they want to lose more?????
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Yes. Change your goal settings to lose 0.5 lbs/week instead of whatever number you have it set at now, and eat back your exercise calories. The MFP system has your caloric deficit already built in to your goal numbers.

OR, follow the information in the IPOARM thread that someone else posted. Either way, at your weight you should be concentrating more on body recomposition (i.e. fat loss, lean tissue retention), not weight loss. Eat more and lift weights.

ETA: I'm only 2 inches taller than you and I eat 2000/day.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Well, seems like I've got a whole lot of eating to do from now on then! (Y)

I KNOW isn't it GREAT!!! Just eat the right things :) 1500 calories of cookies is definitely not gonna get it done lol.
  • JulieNelle
    JulieNelle Posts: 1
    Options
    I just came across this topic, and I'm kinda stunned! I had to go back and look at my nets for the past couple of days, and not one of them hit above 1200.. I'm 5'9" and weigh in at about 177..
    I should eat more? I was absolutely convinced that I was eating WAY too much...? Help!