Fitness over 40 and still kickin'

Options
I'm a 45 year old massage therapist who likes to cook and eat healthy. My exercise routines vary between workout videos in the cold weather (Zumba, Turbo Jam, yoga, weights) with an occassional snowshoe hike thrown in there to walking and hiking in the warm weather with an occassional kayak spin around the lake. I am strong enough to do those things without feeling like I'm about to die, and yet I know I can easily talk myself out of working out for weeks at a time.

Anywho, if there are any other 40+ wanna be healthy's out there, I'd be happy to encourage each other here and be accountable. I feel like I'm kind of an old lady on some other boards that have topics I'm interested in. Someone has to be out there that's not a model but not ready to throw in the towel either! Where ya at? :smile:

Replies

• aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    You should fill out your profile page. Let people know a little about you.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    You came to the right place, there are plenty of us 40 somethings here. :happy:
  • Fitdeacon67
    Options
    Wow, that was quick! I'll fill out my profile page for sure; I signed up on my cell phone and hate typing on that thing. Off to get that done and thanks for the response!
  • lindapimentel1
    Options
    I hit the 40 club this year. I am realizing how different my body works from just a year ago. I have made a lot of life style changes in the last year. Mostly good, but found they had adverse reactions to my body. Such as quit smoking gain 20+ pounds. Work over nights, struggle with a good routine. Really do understand the whole need of encouragement and help from those around me.:blushing:
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    at almost 48 I am closer to 50 now:angry: 3 youngish kids keep me on my toes.I attend a 45 min exercise class once a week( wed nights) and walk and/or do a michelle bridges 30 min dvd alternate days or just when I feel like it
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm a menopausal 53 yr.old with 2 bad knees, yet I bike, garden, walk, swim, and am skipper of my own boat. I started MFP in Sept. 2012 and have lost 41 lbs. If *I* can do this, ANYone can! :wink:
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I will be 44 in a week or so. I don't feel 44! I just became a runner and I practice of Bikram Yoga. I just started running last summer and I have raced in 2- 5k's, a 10K, and 1/2 marathon with a 10M coming up next month. I work, I have a wonderful HOT husband, I have kids and a grandson. I love to cook and eat and have re vamped all our favorites to pack the most nutrition for their punch! My vices are chocolate, coffee, frozen yogurt, wine, and anything that is sparkley! I need to lose at least 17 more pounds and then I will see where I want to go from there. YAY! Add me :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    sorry - did I miss something? Is something supposed to happen at 40? I must have missed it.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I"m 43 and more active now than ever before :laugh:

I"m doing 2 races, both 5K's, so far this year. April 27, then May 4. There's two more I might do, too, just because:tongue: LOL...I don't really like to run! I workout 4x/week- kickbox 2x, karate 1x and Muay Thai class 1x. Plus, extra exercise Mon and Thurs nights while DD's are in band practice. AND....we have a small farm, so there's morning chores and more involved weekend chores. Plus the usual everyday stuff. LOL...I never was this busy before:laugh:

You'd think with all this exercise, I'd be a toothpick. Not the case, but I'm still working at it! You can add me if you'd like :smile:
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm a 44 year old that has recently started running and I work out with kettlebells. I'm looking on improving my fitness and losing some weight. Feel free to add me as a friend.

You've come to the right place!
  • jenmcgraw
    jenmcgraw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Im back after talking myself not only out of working out but eatting like a crazy woman! Im up at least 5 pounds so its time I get back to MFP! Im 41 but cant really believe thats my age! Hopefully we can help each other not skip a few weeks at a time;)
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    sorry - did I miss something? Is something supposed to happen at 40? I must have missed it.

Yes...you get more awesome. :bigsmile:
  • nora1666
    nora1666 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, which certainly qualifies, since I'm inching slowly towards fifty. I can't run anymore since I have foot and knee problems but I walk, hike, love to dance, snowshoe and use workout videos when the weather is really bad. For me, swimming is the best exercise since it's low impact plus I love it! You can certainly add me.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of us around. Welcome. :flowerforyou:
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    42 & still smashing it out!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Apart from the teeth, if I'm like this guy at 60 I'll be well made up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H78NP1WrXYc :bigsmile:
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 and loving every single minute.
  • brendaj39
    brendaj39 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

so very true! I'm finding that out every day!

to OP welcome...:flowerforyou:

if you would like you could add me as a friend...
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    43 right here..... Just joined 17 days ago I do believe!! I have 50 I need to toss & I'm on my way!!! I have a 4 yo daughter & a husband who works crazy hours.... So I do all my exercise from the comfort of my basement... Currently busting some moves with Jillian's 30 day shred & my elliptical. I do also walk the dog & hope to do a lot more of it now that it's getting nicer out!!! Anyway.... Anyone can feel free to add me..... The more the merrier :)