Kale chips YUMMY

Options
mili5726
mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
So I recently discovered Kale chips and I love them. I use a couple of handfuls of kale and add about a tablespoon of olive oil and some seasoning. I put them in the oven (preheated to 350) for about 15 minutes. They are crispy and salty like a chip. Delicious. I am a little leery about how healthy they actually are though, being I use olive oil and season salt. Thoughts?

Replies

• Farfelue
    Farfelue Posts: 63
    Options
    I fancy that.
    Will try it!!!

Tx for sharing.
  • mili5726
    Options
    They are great. Make sure you use just the leaves and not the stem. Cut the leaves up into bite size pieces. Great snack and my nine year old daughter loves them as well.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Has to be healthier than regular potato chips! Great alternative :)
  • mili5726
    Options
    Oh they definitely are healthier than regular chips. I guess they just taste so good. They have that salty crispy taste of a chip. I just discovered them so I am a little excited as you can see.
  • shellylb52
    shellylb52 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    They are very healthy for you. Olive oil is a healthy fat :smile: . I have recently made Kale chips using coconut oil and sea salt. Yummy!:flowerforyou:
  • mili5726
    Options
    I need to get some sea salt. Right now I am just using a regular season salt.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ooo have to try these, I love veggie chips
  • mili5726
    Options
    There a lots of different recipes for them online
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    So I recently discovered Kale chips and I love them. I use a couple of handfuls of kale and add about a tablespoon of olive oil and some seasoning. I put them in the oven (preheated to 350) for about 15 minutes. They are crispy and salty like a chip. Delicious. I am a little leery about how healthy they actually are though, being I use olive oil and season salt. Thoughts?

I second that! They're really good. I mix whisk olive oil with a bit of balsamic, as if making a dressing, and get the kale leaves all in that with my hands, then spread them out in a pan. The only drawback is that it's a lot of effort to make a small amount. Hard to make enough to share them, let's put it that way.
  • mili5726
    Options
    Yes when you are seasoning the kale it seems like alot but they really shrink down.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    bump! I am a chip fiend, I need a new alternative!
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    HI, I LOVE KALE CHIPS, IF YOU HAVE A COSTCO OR SAMS CLUB BY YOU , YOU CAN GET A VERY LARGE BAG OF "BABY KALE LEAVES" FOR ABOUT $5 ...I CUT THE STEMS OFF AND USE THEM IN MY SOUPS I MAKE MY KALE CHIPS SOMETIMES WITH LEMON JUICE, OR GARLIC OR ONION POWDER AND MY HUBBY LIKES THEM WITH RED PEPPER FLAKES. AND WE ALSO USE GOMASIO (SESAME SEEDS, SEAWEED AND SEA SALT) BE SURE TO SHAKE IT UP . WE JUST HAD A LARGE 70TH DOB PARTY FOR PAPA AND I MADE SEVERAL BAGS FULL OF DIFFERENT VARIETIES, PEOPLE LOOKED AT ME LIKE I WAS TRYING TO POISON THEM , BUT BEFORE LONG THEY WERE ALL GONE, AND THEY WERE ASKING FOR MORE . I ALSO DEHYDRATE THEM IN MY DEHYDRATOR AS WELL AS THE OVEN . IF YOU USE THE OVEN WATCH THEM SO THEY DON'T GET OVER DONE . I PUT MY FRUIT LEATHER INSERT ON THE BOTTOM OF MY DEHYDRATOR AS A DRIP PAN, DUE TO THE OIL SPICES AND SALT (YOU DON'T NEED MUCH OIL I USE A SPRITZ BOTTLE) THE OIL HELPS CRISP THEM. I HAVEN'T TRIED COCONUT OIL BUT THAT SOUNDED GREAT, AND ITS A HEALTHY FAT TOO , I WILL TRY THAT NEXT TIME.
  • mili5726
    Options
    quellybelly they are a great alternative to regular chips. Look online for some good recipes.