Low Carb Snacks?

Options
I'm not cutting carbs by any means, but it was suggested by both a nutritionist and a endocrinologist to stick to a meal plan of 1800 calories, front load carbs for breakfast and lunch, and no (or little) carbs with and after dinner. (Meaning no potatos, fruit, rice, pasta, bread, etc.) I've been eating jello for a night time snack, but it's getting kind of boring. What are some good low-carb snacks?!

Thank you :)

Replies

• Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What about greek yogurt? I have 3/4 cup everyday...15g of carbs. Not sure how "low-carb" you're looking for though.
  • GoNicoleee
    Options
    What about greek yogurt? I have 3/4 cup everyday...15g of carbs. Not sure how "low-carb" you're looking for though.

I thought about greek yogurt but I usually have it with breakfast. I could try it twice a day. :)
  • Jen21878
    Jen21878 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There's always brown rice cakes with natural PB or almond butter. Almonds? :)
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1. string cheese
    2. turkey and cheese roll-up
    3. almonds, walnuts, seeds, ect
    4. hummus and celery sticks
    5. kale chips
    6. parmesan crisps
    7. vegetables dipped in spinach dip or lite ranch
    8. cottage cheese
    9. a protein bar. my favorite is questbar. only ones i eat.
    10. edemame
    11. a boiled artichoke. i like to dip the leaves in lemon juice mixed with a tbs of melted butter
    12. peanut butter and celery sticks
    13. deviled eggs
    14. 1/2 an avocado with balasamic vinaigrette drizzled over it (one of my FAVS).
    15. shrimp cocktail
    16. smoked salmon and cream cheese on cucumber slices
    17. cucumber and onion salad
    18. tuna or egg salad
    19. a side salad with a protein: tuna, a boiled egg, 1/2 an avocado, chicken/turkey, ect.
    20. a sandwhich with low carb bread. I buy Healthy Life 100% Whole Wheat Whole Grain Bread: 35 calories & 5 net carbs per slice.
    21. a pickle

just some off the top of my head :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not cutting carbs by any means, but it was suggested by both a nutritionist and a endocrinologist to stick to a meal plan of 1800 calories, front load carbs for breakfast and lunch, and no (or little) carbs with and after dinner. (Meaning no potatos, fruit, rice, pasta, bread, etc.) I've been eating jello for a night time snack, but it's getting kind of boring. What are some good low-carb snacks?!

Thank you :)

Why cut off time for carb intake and for your question deep fried butter
  • sobriquet84
    Options

it was suggested by an endocrinologist. i understand that you may not be knowledgeable in the field of internal medicine or endocrinology, but the endocrine system (which is made up of 7 hormones that fluctuate at different times of the day and are dependent on many, many factors) maintains and controls glucose metabolism. if limiting carbohydrates at night was advised by her endocrinologist, i would suggest you stop being a smartass about it.
  • thaze90
    thaze90 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I snack on string cheese, cheddar cheese blocks, pepperoni, slim jims, venison jerky/beef jerky, broccoli and cheese, and sometimes raw broccoli
  • melissam226
    Options
    Cheese! And eggs! And don't forget raw veggies (some still have sugar though, so be careful)

I do low carb most days but it's hard. I have a hard time right before bed though--and with wine.

Good luck!
  • fuuured
    fuuured Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cheese, ham (dip in some mustard for more flavour), yoghurt (the natural kind), berries, boiled eggs, nuts if you can control yourself when eating them, peanut butter, veggies
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    SASSYGIRLY30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

it was suggested by an endocrinologist. i understand that you may not be knowledgeable in the field of internal medicine or endocrinology, but the endocrine system (which is made up of 7 hormones that fluctuate at different times of the day and are dependent on many, many factors) maintains and controls glucose metabolism. if limiting carbohydrates at night was advised by her endocrinologist, i would suggest you stop being a smartass about it.

I'm a type 2 diabetic and follow that same way of eating. I've kept my glucose levels in control for over a year now with no meds.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I like to have celery and guacamole or my those marzetti dips you can buy in the salad section of your grocery store. Other LC snacks I eat are those single portions of Balderson's cheddar at 90 cal each, they're pretty satisfying. What about lower carb fruits? Do you think you could have some berries? a bowl of strawberries and blueberries with some whipped cream sweetened with splenda or whatever you like is SO NICE :) Sometimes I roll up sliced ham with guacamole inside hehehe
  • sobriquet84
    Options

I'm a type 2 diabetic and follow that same way of eating. I've kept my glucose levels in control for over a year now with no meds.

that's so great!! good for you!

so much can be cured/controlled/bettered/lowered/(insert applicatable verbage here) through mindful eating. i HATE seeing "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie."
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    so much can be cured/controlled/bettered/lowered/(insert applicatable verbage here) through mindful eating. i HATE seeing "a calorie is a calorie is a calorie."

+1
  • SASSYGIRLY30
    SASSYGIRLY30 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

that's so great!! good for you!

Thanks!! All calories are not equal I agree with that 100% :)
  • toodloo
    toodloo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nuts are good, as is greek yogurt. I do carrots and hummus, but I don't know if carrots/beans are too carby for you. Also consider celery + pb, veggies dipped in guacamole, sliced tomatoes and cheese, sliced turkey/salami, edamame, or a fruit smoothie made at home (mine usually have frozen berries, greek yogurt, almond milk, strawberries, and 1/2 a banana plus some peanut butter). If you're feeling fancy, prosciutto and melon is good too! Hope that helps.
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

Bless you for standing up for yourself!

Maybe not the "healthiest" snack but if what you are craving is sweet creamy you can try sugar free cool whip. Low cal, fat free, sweet, creamy, ..... I add a little coco powder to mine.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Casein protein shake
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    1. string cheese
    5. kale chips
    6. parmesan crisps
    8. cottage cheese
    10. edemame
    11. a boiled artichoke. i like to dip the leaves in lemon juice mixed with a tbs of melted butter
    13. deviled eggs
    14. 1/2 an avocado with balasamic vinaigrette drizzled over it (one of my FAVS).
    15. shrimp cocktail
    18. tuna or egg salad
    19. a side salad with a protein: tuna, a boiled egg, 1/2 an avocado, chicken/turkey, ect.
    20. a sandwhich with low carb bread. I buy Healthy Life 100% Whole Wheat Whole Grain Bread: 35 calories & 5 net carbs per slice.
    21. a pickle

An impressive list....but the only one that appeals to me (a big Carb-lover) is the Parmesan crisps! Lol
    Not familiar with them. (Don't know whether we have them here in the UK)
  • sobriquet84
    Options
    1. string cheese
    5. kale chips
    6. parmesan crisps
    8. cottage cheese
    10. edemame
    13. deviled eggs
    15. shrimp cocktail
    18. tuna or egg salad
    21. a pickle

An impressive list....but the only one that appeals to me (a big Carb-lover) is the Parmesan crisps! Lol
    Not familiar with them. (Don't know whether we have them here in the UK)

you make them! just grate fresh parmigiano-reggiano cheese, and bake on a cookie sheet. there are directions and recipes online.
  • GoNicoleee
    Options

^^ Thank you.