My New NET Calorie Goal (Based on TDEE-20%) - Crazy?

Options
I apologize in advance for a long post, but speaking out loud in hopes of a sanity check from anyone listening out there..

With a starting weight of 275lbs, I've been using MFP since August 2012 and have lost 42lbs. At 6'2", I've set a goal of 205lbs, based primarily on where I've been before and where I feel I would be at a healthy weight. My NET calorie goal in MFP has hovered around 1600-2000 for most of my weight loss, which has basically plateaued for the last 2 months. I didn't question this goal too much, as I was losing the weight at a comfortable pace. With the plateau I've considered going for more of TDEE-20% approach.

I recently had my body fat, RMR and V02 tests completed at a local testing facility. My body fat is currently at 22%, which is lower than I had expected (and had manually calculated). My RMR - which I would assume would be very close to my BMR - is 2750 cals/day. According to my regular workout schedule and lifestyle (workout 6 days a week doing P90X and average 10k steps), my calculated "Total Energy Output" (or TDEE as I saw it) is 3918 cals/day. Based on this RMR, I've also calculated my true average TDEE using data from fitbit (stairs/floors) and digifit (all exercize logged using a HRM) over the last several months and came up with a very comparable 3987 calories/day.

Given this information, I've calculated my new "NET" calorie goal as approx 3200 cals/day. Does this seem high/low? As I use my fitbit every day, and log all of my calorie burns using an HRM with digifit, I feel using the net goal would be more accurate and realistic given the reality of life for days/week when I'm not as active, or more active than the average. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I think that's a good start.. you can always cut back on that net goal if you don't happen to exercise or be as active on certain days. I would said minimum is 2750 or around that area based on the RMR/BMR you mentioned
  • ScubaBobOC
    Options
    Thanks! My current plan is to stick to the current calorie goal for 2-3 weeks before making any changes. Having just "survived" the first weekend of March Madness (and all the very bad things that I tend to consume during it) - that time period starts today :-)
  • ScubaBobOC
    Options
    <bump>
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Bob, those numbers look right based upon your RMR. Wish I had your RMR with my 6'6" and 200#LBM. I haven't had mine done in a lab but according to the charts it should be about 2400. I recently upped my cals to 3200... I was in the basement and plateaued.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Seems right on to me. Go ahead and change. Just be sure to eat healthy with those new calories.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Don't underestimate how much energy you need. Activity and RMR contribute a lot but so does a person's starting weight. The heavier the person, the more energy he/she needs.
  • ScubaBobOC
    Options
    Thanks all! Yes, I was actually pretty shocked my RMR was that high. I agree on trying to make sure the added calories are healthy - but it's definitely not easy to add calories period after eating at a lower rate for so long. Granted if I could add unrestricted cheese and alcohol to my daily intake - I would reach the total no problem!

I've found that there is no way to change the BMR within the fitbit app, so technically I have to consider this difference when calculating my calorie goal for the day too..