I'm so stressed!!

Options
I am dealing with a lot of stress from both school and family issues, and I fear that it is going to hinder my progress. I'm an emotional eater, and I am trying to get away from that but it is very hard! Has anyone here overcome emotional eating? I'm trying to stay motivated but I'm having a hard time! Thanks!

Replies

• butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I am very overwhelmed with stress right now too. So far I haven't eaten because of it, but I know I will if I keep feeling this stressed.

Try going for a walk or a run or some sort of exercise to keep you out of the kitchen. Drink lots of water. Sorry, that's all I have.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you....I eat a regular meal and make sure I get my exercise in...even when I am soooo down I could crawl into a hole ~ I make sure to get my exercise (I always feel better once it's over). I am a pretty positive person, so I really believe it will pass soon, but boy oh boy...stress sucks!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Start a project (hobby? spring cleaning? gardening?); something that demands your full attention and keeps you busy.

Also tackle the stress head on. Perhaps there's a problem you could solve or a change you could make. One thing is for sure, you can't eat it away.
  • 6onald
    6onald Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    - Distract yourself. When the stress is getting to you and that voice starts telling you to eat something, get another thought in your head. Go for a walk. Watch a movie. Play a game. Do something other than thinking about your stress and your eating for a few minutes until the moment passes.

- Go healthy. If you feel the need to snack, make it something healthy - fresh fruit, low fat yogurt, and make sure all the "poor diet choice" foods are nowhere near you.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    The past few months just might have been some of the most stressful in my life.
    Have you ever heard that quote about the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I guess I got tired of the long term effects of emotional eating. It only made me feel good while I was doing it. After I did it I felt bad and it was keeping me fat. At first it was doing it and acknowledging it and its consequences. I just kind of had to tell myself 'you know what happens when you do this and you're doing it anyway'. Then I worked on being able to reason with myself before I gave in to it. At this point I want my goals more than I want instant gratification. I've done the emotional eating thing once in the past three months and while I did in fact unleash hell on some macaroni and cheese and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, it was still controlled. I didn't eat two giant bowls of mac n' cheese. It was one giant bowl. I didn't eat 10 cookies. I ate 4. Progress. And only once in three months? I'm happy about that.

So I would say that the keys are the knowledge that emotional eating won't help you reach your goals and being able to reason with yourself in the moment. Also, you will most likely do it at some point. Cut yourself some slack and move on.

Also, exercise as often as you can. Yesterday I thought I was gonna go out of my mind from stress and things I can't control and concern for loved ones. I went for a long walk by myself and I felt much more relaxed when I got home. Journaling will also help you to get chaotic thoughts out of your head and you may find that it's not as bad as you think once you get it down on paper or at least realize that worrying and stressing won't change anything. You can throw away or burn your journaling so only you will know what you wrote if that's a concern for you. Try to find some other kind of stress relief.

I hope this helps. It certainly isn't easy to break the food crutch habit, but keep trying. :flowerforyou:
  • suki_j
    suki_j Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I eat this way too, it's a real problem! I live on my own so I just try not to keep much food in the house that I can snack on (and I will snack on literally anything when I'm stressed). Or I just go to the gym to distract myself, or have soup because it feels filling.
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I run when I am stressed, running to me is soothing.