Sugar Free April

Options
MikeInAZ
MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
I'm going to try and be sugar free in April. Who's in with me? The rules are simple. If it has sugar, molasses, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sucrose or fructose in it, you avoid it. Naturally occurring sugars in fruit and dairy are ok.

What ever your daily goal is for sugar, cut it half. Mine is 60g, so I will attempt to be under 30g. Hopefully way under.

Why am I doing this? Well, for starters, just a challenge for myself. Next reduce my caloric intake. Also to see how my body reacts. Finally, I hope to drop 5+ lbs!

If you're in, please let me know and check back here to tell us how you're doing!

Good luck,

Mike

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and be sugar free in April. Who's in with me? The rules are simple. If it has sugar, molasses, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sucrose or fructose in it, you avoid it. Naturally occurring sugars in fruit and dairy are ok.

What ever your daily goal is for sugar, cut it half. Mine is 60g, so I will attempt to be under 30g. Hopefully way under.

Why am I doing this? Well, for starters, just a challenge for myself. Next reduce my caloric intake. Also to see how my body reacts. Finally, I hope to drop 5+ lbs!

If you're in, please let me know and check back here to tell us how you're doing!

Good luck,

Mike

I commend you on your challenge however metabolically speaking what is the difference between naturally occurring sucrose or fructose and refined versions?

Basically you've laid out a challenge to avoid sugar but sugar is also ok
  • RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'll give it a go.
  • MikeInAZ
    Options
    I commend you on your challenge however metabolically speaking what is the difference between naturally occurring sucrose or fructose and refined versions?

The difference (in my mind) is that it's not being added to an apple. When they add fructose to something to make it sweet they are also adding calories and sugar. I agree that sucrose and fructose are "better for you" but this is more about calories and maintaining my blood sugar.

My mother was diabetic from the age of 9. (she died at 59). I've been tested, and check my blood sugar from time to time and so far I'm in the clear. But you never know. So keeping my pancreas healthy is important to me.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options

Good luck,

Mike

Not a chemist, not a nutritionist...just a woman who would like to share her personal experience. I am 48 and for the past 20+ years I have struggled with the negative effects of consuming processed sugars.

When I do I get light headed, dizzy, and if I continue eating them over a period of a few days I get irritable as well. (just ask my family)

I do not experience this with fruit. I can do small amounts of processed sugars without difficulty, (say 5 grams or less) in foods like my favorite 95% cocoa chocolate but as soon as I try milk chocolate...forget it. A brownie? No way. I get headaches, shaky, and grumpy.

If I stick with a treat of dried dates, bananas, etc. I am fine. I can put a touch of raw honey in my tea with no problem.

So, again, I am not sure why but the processed stuff kills me but the natural stuff does not.

Last, it seems the processed stuff leaves me craving more but the natural stuff does not. I feel satisfied after eating an orange but past experience tells me that a mini snickers does not satisfy, it leaves me dreaming about the next one.

I have been processed sugar free for 8 straight years!

D
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Does this mean i need to eat all the chocolate before the end of easter?

That part i can do.
    The no sugar for april might be a little harder...
  • MikeInAZ
    Options
    Does this mean i need to eat all the chocolate before the end of easter?

That part i can do.
    The no sugar for april might be a little harder...

That's why I'm waiting till April 1st. So at least I can enjoy some chocolate on Easter, but after that, it goes in the freezer until further notice!
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Quote "I commend you on your challenge however metabolically speaking what is the difference between naturally occurring sucrose or fructose and refined versions?"

Really? How about the fact that refined sugar's micro-nutritional value is zero? At least you get other vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals in naturally occurring sugar sources that man processes out in refining or syrup processing. Or do you only pay attention to the macro details of your diet? Metabolically speaking, these micronutrients have more impact on your overall health than the macro nutrient source of calories does...
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    hmmm...i guess that forces out diabetic friendly sweeteners.
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Baker's (bitter) chocolate has no sugar. I's an acquired taste, but can satisfy chocolate cravings with no sugar guilt.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm down except ill have natural sugars.
  • MikeInAZ
    Options
    hmmm...i guess that forces out diabetic friendly sweeteners.

I don't think so, Sucralose (Splenda) doesn't raise your blood sugar. They take the sweet part of sugar out and leave the rest on the floor. No calories or carbs. It is a refined product with some chemical.

I ditched Equal all together. That's just a modified saccarine.

Also, I've been using Stevia (PureVia brand). Although what I buy isn't as natural as some other types, it's still a plant extract, has no calories, carbs, sugar and is as natural as you can get without buying the drops (of Stevia) from a health food store.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, Sucralose (Splenda) doesn't raise your blood sugar. They take the sweet part of sugar out and leave the rest on the floor. No calories or carbs. It is a refined product with some chemical.

I ditched Equal all together. That's just a modified saccarine.

Also, I've been using Stevia (PureVia brand). Although what I buy isn't as natural as some other types, it's still a plant extract, has no calories, carbs, sugar and is as natural as you can get without buying the drops (of Stevia) from a health food store.

Well then, count me in!