Greetings from a weary traveler...

Options
My 33rd b-day is right around the corner. I never thought I would ever be in the position I am today. At an admittedly robust 370 pounds, I have had enough. I decided that there is no way I will reach 400. I also have decided that I want to get some semblance of my glory days back.

I have not always been this "round". I never had a big problem with weight or losing from my early teens to my mid 20s. I was an avid athlete that played basketball competitvely until I was 25. I had girlfriends and lots of them. I had the want to spend time with friends and families out and about on the town. Now, I feel like I live to eat, instead of eating to live. I don't overeat or binge by any means. My problem is the sedentary kind. You know? The Monday-Friday desk jockey kind of problem. When all you do is sit on the job and then sit at home, even eating 3 square meals a day can be treacherous if you choose the wrong thing. Add in beers on the weekend on the couch watching sports..... and watch me grow, and not in the good way. LOL

It's time to take a stand. Take back some of my younger days. Time to feel better. Time to change my life. So many things hinge on our weight. I have taken time to notice the small things. Things that even the slightest changes can't see in the future. Things like bending over to tie your shoes. Cutting your toe nails. Sitting in a chair you hope doesn't give out on you. Sitting in a car comfortably. Walking the stairs without feeling like hell warmed over. Even the bigger things stand out more. Wanting to date someone. Wanting to get that new job. Wanting to go to a family wedding. Things that shame you for wanting when you get so big. But, these things are what we all want as human beings. It's time to put the bad food and sedentary lifestyle aside and make room for these things to return to their rightful place. Time to make these things what they were meant to be, that is, part of the human experience. It's time. It's time.

Anyway, my name is Erik. My 33rd b-day is in 6 days and now is my time to start living. Time to get started on this journey. I am not sure how long the road will be, but I know I see the end in sight. Hopefully I make some friends along the way. I have lots to say and I am an open book. There isn't any question, subject, or conversation that I won't take part in. I don't get offended and I have no preconceived notions or hangups. Try chatting with me..... you'll see, I am a nice guy.

Greetings.... MFP community.

Replies

• grimmdogg23
    grimmdogg23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My picture is what I looked like at my 25th b-day. I was at my most fit at that point in my life 185 lbs and only 8% body fat. I want to get it back.
  • gamerohgamer
    Options
    Hello grimm, I'm new here also. Your story reminds me of my own in some ways, it wasn't until I was 19-20 y/o that I started putting on weight. I am at my heaviest now, 263lbs, and like you I do not want to reach the next 100 up. I lead a very sedentary lifestyle also, but it's now mostly due to my weight.

Yes so many of the daily everyday things become hard, climbing a flight of stairs, bending or reaching for something. Not being able to enjoy outings with friends and family because you don't have the energy or worry what others are thinking of you. I know exactly what you mean also about living to eat. Food lately seems to be the only thing that makes me feel good, until I finish eating it and the guilt kicks in (vicious cycle anyone?).

I'm pretty open and easy going also, so feel free to befriend me (can we do that on this site?), or message me whenever you feel like chatting. That goes for anyone else reading this too. :flowerforyou:
  • grimmdogg23
    grimmdogg23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sure, there is a way to friend. I will add ya.
  • mikeyh12
    mikeyh12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hey man good luck on your journey, I'm about the same age and I felt that it was the right time in my life to get in the best shape possible. Keep your motivation up and you will see great results for yourself!
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Grimm welcome and good luck on your journey :) You will find great friends and support here.
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Oh and happy early birthday!
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Happy early birthday and best of luck on your journey. I really like your attitude. You can and will do this.
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi grimm. Welcome back! this is a good place to find your youth again! Feel free to friend me if you like :) good luck with your journey
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You have definitely come to the right place! You can do this!
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Congrats on getting started on a new, healthier lifestyle.

I am 5'5" and weighed 383lbs at my highest so don't feel alone. As a morbidly obese female, life was hard (you can't get a size 28 anything just anywhere!). But I'm down to a M/size 10ish, and much happier.

Something that helps me daily is to say to myself, "eat to live, don't live to eat".

YOU CAN DO THIS. Every day is an opportunity to better yourself... physically, mentally, emotionally. It's not a quick process, but you'll get there.

Hugs and happy birthday :)
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Greetings, and welcome to MFP, Grimm.

At my highest, I was 282 lbs. I started MFP at 266, and I'm now down to 232. I know about all the little things. The little things you can't do because you're so big. The little things you want to do, but feel like you shouldn't being so big. The little voice that tells you to accept what you've become. That you're not good enough, committed enough, or worth enough. I shut that little voice up three months ago. Sometimes I can still hear it, but it's quieter and has less power over me now.

jen2_zpsc68a6317.png

Ain't she cute? That was me around 16 years old, 175 lbs. I'm 30 now. I'll never be 16 again, but she was happy in her own skin. I would definitely like to feel that way again. I'm not rushing to drop all the weight like a 50 yard dash. I'm working on changing my lifestyle, one choice at a time. MFP was the greatest choice I ever made.

Here's to YOUR great choice in joining me and the rest of these fine folks :drinker:
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm fairly new on here myself, and like you, I had reached a point where I just decided enough was enough ya know? I wish you all the luck in the world and I'll be sending you a friend request. Maybe we can keep each other motivated! :)
  • Samhain34
    Options
    Welcome; I'm new as well and I'm finding that the simple act of keeping track of my food (mostly - I get sloppy some days) helps make healthy eating easier. I'm 43 and have been at the same office a couple years - I put on about 40lbs, topping out at 273. It's been 2 months, but I'm now at 249. Thanks to the exercise entry, I actually started walking; I never realized how much positive effect just walking 60 minutes daily would have. It's incredible. I never introduced myself, but I guess this will do.

Also, signed up to do a 5k obstacle race on May 11th (Probably an easy jog plus obstacles), so that's helping turn my daily walk into a game. Just making sure I don't overexert myself on any given day; I'm finding that the hardest thing to do is often try to set a moderate pace.

Good luck and see you around the forum!
  • paulaann67
    paulaann67 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Welcome this site is great & has great people on it ! Anyone can feel free to add me for friendship on this journey!:smile:
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Remember any small changes can make the difference! I highly recommend stepping outside on your breaks at work, and go for a walk. In fact, walk everywhere if you can!

Good luck, and feel free to add me if you want some extra friends for support.
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi Erik, happy birthday for when it gets here. Well done on taking that first step on your journey. A long journey it may be but as long as you are moving forward each day, one foot in front of the other, better choices, not beating yourself up when you fall off the wagon, picking yourself up and moving forward when it goes a little wrong, you will be fine.

The weight did not appear overnight so it is going to take time to get rid of but you can do it. You deserve to be healthy and live your life to its limits.

I wish you the very best of luck

Mandy x
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi, add me for a friend if you like. I will encourage you. My name is Martha.