Food vs Meal Replacement

Options
I was wondering if a meal replacement shake (or whatever people drink, ect) is better than a actual snack. I wanted to hear opinions and brands if anyone can help me out. Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

Natural, non-manufactured food is always healthier.

I only take protein drinks (whey isolate from a reputable manufacturer) 30 minutes prior to workout and then, immediately after I have finished the workout. Other than that no meal replacements for me.

I tried to eat lean protein, complex carbohydrates ( vegetables, fruit, grains) and Healthy fats ( Avocado, olive oil, olives, almonds, walnuts). My health has improved. I plan to continue in this journey. It is not easy but rewards are worth the effort and discipline.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Being in solid form doesn't make anything more "food" than anything else.
  • jmyoung971
    jmyoung971 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am trying to still lose but also tone up. Should I consider protein drinks before/after workout? Thanks!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I am trying to still lose but also tone up. Should I consider protein drinks before/after workout? Thanks!!

It doesn't really matter. Really.

Just get the right amount of calories (TDEE - 20%), the right amount of protein (1g per lb of lbm), the right amount of fat (0.3 * body weight) and forget everything else. Eat veggies. That's it.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any reason why a meal replacement shake would be better than a "snack" unless one was a serious body builder and was looking for very large amounts of protein after weight lifting. That said, it is certainly better to have a snack based on lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats than, say, a bag of potato chips. Not to start a huge debate, but in my opinion it is better for overall health (if not specifically for weight loss) to eat healthy snacks as well as meals. I try to make sure that my snacks have protein in them because they tend to keep me feeling satisfied longer than a snack that is just carbs. Examples would be: greek yogurt with fruit, whole grain cracker with cheese, apple with peanut butter etc.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options

It doesn't really matter. Really.

Just get the right amount of calories (TDEE - 20%), the right amount of protein (1g per lb of lbm), the right amount of fat (0.3 * body weight) and forget everything else. Eat veggies. That's it.

QFT

During the week my only snacks (with very few exceptions) are generally my two servings of whey after my workout, and my one serving of casein before bed. Other than that, it is three meals of actual food.