Joined a free weight gym, when I asked "Do you have...

Options
Joined a free weight gym...when asked "Do you have many women here?".. "Not many, but don't be scared"... not scared... TERRORFIED!!

I am looking forward to it but this pure free weights with a few cardio machines. I am going in on Friday and he is going to create me a training plan :O

I will soon be nice and toned!! :)

Replies

• jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a woman in the free weights section since I joined three weeks ago. It is a bit intimidating at first but after I got comfortable with the equipment it was nothing. Congrats and good luck!
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    there are quite a few women in the free weights section at my YMCA, and i am one of them :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why is that?

I've only seen women working free weights at college gyms.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Yeah, why is that?

I think as a general rule women aren't encouraged to lift heavy.. or at all... unless its under 5llb and pink! :)
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why is that?

It's part of the "experimental phase." :wink:
  • mummyzena
    mummyzena Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Joined a free weight gym...when asked "Do you have many women here?".. "Not many, but don't be scared"... not scared... TERRORFIED!!

I am looking forward to it but this pure free weights with a few cardio machines. I am going in on Friday and he is going to create me a training plan :O

Sounds like my gym... It's amazing in 4 weeks have only seen 1 female twice and she was doing cardio.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Yeah, why is that?

Most likely lol
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why is that?

More mature women who lift are just comfortable with their own fitness.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've been using the 'weights' section at Planet Fitness; there are many women there. Also, due to lack of proper equipment at planet fitness, I am switching to another, much older gym where I didn't see many women. While checking the place out, I asked a few questions of some guys in the weight area (between their sets, of course) and they were very helpful and friendly and possibly a bit amused but... There is 'women only' section upstairs that SURPRISE! has a squat rack. Didn't seem to get too heavy as far as plates go but it's enough for now. I'll ask if they can increase later, and if not, I will totally be working out downstairs with the guys.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    I've been using the 'weights' section at planet fitness, there are many women there. Also, due to lack of proper equipment at planet fitness, I am switching to another, much older gym where I didn't see many women. While checking the place out, I asked a few questions of some guys in the weight area (between their sets, of course) and they were very helpful and friendly and possibly a bit amused but... There is 'women only' section upstairs that SURPRISE! has a squat machine. Didn't seem to get too heavy as far as plates but it's enough for now. I'll ask if they can increase later, and if not, I will totally be working out downstairs with the guys.

New wave feminism? Kick them out of the weight room!!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I've been using the 'weights' section at planet fitness, there are many women there. Also, due to lack of proper equipment at planet fitness, I am switching to another, much older gym where I didn't see many women. While checking the place out, I asked a few questions of some guys in the weight area (between their sets, of course) and they were very helpful and friendly and possibly a bit amused but... There is 'women only' section upstairs that SURPRISE! has a squat machine. Didn't seem to get too heavy as far as plates but it's enough for now. I'll ask if they can increase later, and if not, I will totally be working out downstairs with the guys.

LOL, nah, I like to keep them around in case I need a spotter. haha
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

LOL, nah, I like to keep them around in case I need a spotter. haha

Good point.. also some of them are quite nice to look at.. I mean to check on correct form :)
  • Seminolegirl97
    Seminolegirl97 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    OH just walk in there like you own the place. I am often the only girl in the weight room. Trust me the men aren't paying attention to you, you pay no mind to them.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    OH just walk in there like you own the place. I am often the only girl in the weight room. Trust me the men aren't paying attention to you, you pay no mind to them.

Unless you are benching more than them :laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why is that?

I think as a general rule women aren't encouraged to lift heavy.. or at all... unless its under 5llb and pink! :)

Yeah...my wife started lifting free weights with me, but only after she saw this hot, tight chick at our gym squating a couple hundred Lbs and dead-lifting even more.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Yeah, why is that?

Yeah...my wife started lifting free weights with me, but only after she saw this hot, tight chick at our gym squating a couple hundred Lbs and dead-lifting even more.

Your wife is a clever lady.. perhaps its to keep an eye on you and the hot chicks? haha

To be honest, its the before and after photos on here of some of the women, why I'm doing it. They do look incredible.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Yeah, why is that?

Lifting Until Graduation?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Those are the ones I bought for my then seven year old daughter!
  • LJSmith1989
    Options

Those are the ones I bought for my then seven year old daughter!
    [/quote]

Me and your daughter have the same tastes! :)
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I would love to have access to a gym like that. Don't worry you'll fit straight in. Noone will be paying any attention to what you are doing at all