Disney world-advise to stay on track!

Options
Hello, I am going to Disneyworld for 1 week! I read that you walk an average of about 10 miles a day all over the theme parks. I am excited about all of the walking, but nervous about all the junk food I will be around. Does anyone have some helpful tips?

Replies

• BYEBYEBELLY
    Options
    Hello, I am going to Disneyworld for 1 week! I read that you walk an average of about 10 miles a day all over the theme parks. I am excited about all of the walking, but nervous about all the junk food I will be around. Does anyone have some helpful tips?
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I went 2 years ago and we did walk A TON, but unfortunately, this trip was the beginning of my 10 lb weight gain over the next year. So I would love some tips too, since we are going back in December. The problem for me is that when I go on vacation, food is a huge part. I love to try new things at new restaurants and when you are so active, you are usually very hungry!!! I am definitely going to watch this thread. . . .:smile:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You should pack snacks & lunches for yourself.
    Drink tons of water!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    I went 2 years ago and we did walk A TON, but unfortunately, this trip was the beginning of my 10 lb weight gain over the next year. So I would love some tips too, since we are going back in December. The problem for me is that when I go on vacation, food is a huge part. I love to try new things at new restaurants and when you are so active, you are usually very hungry!!! I am definitely going to watch this thread. . . .:smile:

Order a tasting menu or every one order something different and share a little! :happy: O, and snacks are a big life saver in theme parks, for your waistline and your pocketbook!! Pack baggies and fly out with them or purchase healthy snacks before heading to the parks.

:flowerforyou:
    Kiss Micky and Minnie for me!!
  • mommy2js
    mommy2js Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on purchasing the dining plan??? We do because it is WAY cheaper than buying food, but the problem is that everyone in your room has to be on the same dining plan - therefore, if you want to purchase it for your DH and kids, and eat light for yourself, you're out of luck, they make you buy it too. Then, if you eat really light or 1/2 of the meals, you feel like you've wasted money! I know this should be a small price to pay for not gaining while on vacation, but it is hard to mentally say "I'm just going to flush that $300 down the toilet and eat my own healthy stuff" :angry:
  • bleachcse
    bleachcse Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Well everything is so expensive you can't afford to eat all that yummy food! LOL. I'm so jealous I love Disney World. I went there when I was 16 and then again on my honeymoon!! It's the best place and makes you feel like a kid again, no matter what age you are. When I went I never worried about what I ate because you walk SOOOO much, just don't go overboard and you'll be fine. You know your food limits, just keep yourself within them.

I would also suggest taking breakfast with you. Pack something small like granola bars and save some calories for a nice lunch and dinner.
  • BYEBYEBELLY
    Options
    I think we are going to pack our lunch and snacks and then eat out for dinner. I went to Disneyland in February and I ordered the kids meals a couple of times. (Chicken, green beans and applesauce) It actually filled me up. It's the night time buffets that worry me!
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Posts: 71
    Options
    Wow, that is soooo cool.

We are going to DW in July as well, but our trip is paid for by someone else including food. So I am going to have a really hard time watching what I eat. I've never been so I have no idea what to look forward to. So am I pretty much out of luck for healthy outings? If so I guess I will have to deal.

Don't think it would be appropriate for me to bring our own food, beings this is being paid for by the make a wish foundation. :blushing:

So any help would be appreciated for me as well.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Pack some healthy snacks in a backpack so you at least have some healthy options. Carry a water bottle so you can refill with water. Most places will give you a free cup of ice.

We went last year and I didn't really stick to any sort of healthy eating plan. I didn't go to the gym at my hotel once and it was across the hall from my room.

I didn't gain one pound. I didn't lose, but I didn't gain. You do walk alot. I guess it burned more calories than I thought.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    Pack some healthy snacks in a backpack so you at least have some healthy options. Carry a water bottle so you can refill with water. Most places will give you a free cup of ice.

We went last year and I didn't really stick to any sort of healthy eating plan. I didn't go to the gym at my hotel once and it was across the hall from my room.

I didn't gain one pound. I didn't lose, but I didn't gain. You do walk alot. I guess it burned more calories than I thought.

WE went in Jan of 07. I'd say that if you are doing the dining plan try doing some brunches or buffets. There is a lot of temptation there, but also AWESOME fresh fruit! As for the snacks, we were so busy doing stuff that all we wanted was drinks (diet coke for me :bigsmile: ) I did the dining plan, ate whatever I wanted (including fried appetizers and desserts - but I was't really trying to lose weight) and didn't gain anything. I will say that their meals are so big, that by the time desserts came I rarely wanted one and I'm not much of a snacker after supper so that saved some cals too.

Have fun for me! I can't wait to go back - we're talking about going in Jan/Feb with my mom and sister and her fam.
  • BlackBeltLJ
    BlackBeltLJ Posts: 190
    Options
    I go every October seeing that the ATA Fall Nationals are there at the Wide World of Sports. If you are staying at the park, you can come and go as you please. Plan to try and eat at the hotel more often than at the parks. The hotels have a great set up for the meals and you can get the kid version of a lot of the meals. There are a lot of salads and fresh fruit available. Also, try to keep your breakfasts within your control. You can go crazy there for breakfast. The hotels have refillable cups- use them, they are a good value at the hotel. And always carry a water bottle. We try to stay at the campground mainly because it is easier for my son who is autistic but it is a lot cheaper than eating in the parks.

By the way, if you are traveling with a person with a handicap, make sure that you pick up your disability pass- you go in the back way at several of the rides- everyone in your party, as along as you did not bring everyone in town with you (we had 7)
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    Hey there! I'm heading to Disney World in 2 weeks ( I CAN'T WAIT!!!). Anyways, I've been doing quite a bit of research as well. My partner is a vegetarian, and we're both trying to eat healthier, so I've been trying to find places with healthy (and cheap) choices. I found this really GREAT website with all of the menus from all of the restaurants in the park. As they say on there, things change all the time, but it's a good guide to help you plan.

http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm#ak

I hope this helps you out! Have fun!
  • dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    We went two years ago, and the whole family actually lost weight from all the walking. Its sure goes to show how different our bodies all are. Have a great time, it is such a happy place...
  • BYEBYEBELLY
    Options
    Have fun when you go, I will say hi to Mickey for your:smile: