Visiting Disneyland in December

Options
Does anyone have any tips on what sort of food is available at the Disney theme park. We are staying in Anaheim for 4 nights while visiting the States. I am vegetarian and quite like fresh food but have a real weakness for pastries. A glance at some of the online menus is a bit disheartening.

input would be appreciated.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    its march.... and you're planning your meals for holiday in DECEMBER.....!?

can i ask why you would be doing this!?
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well I have to decide if I need to buy dining vouchers as part of our Disney package or if it might be better to take our own food purchased from a market. My sister said the Florida Disney food healthiest option when she was there in 2009 was nachos with yellow cheese.

I don't fancy paying $400 plus for the dining packs if I can't use it.

US food doesn't have a healthy reputation in Australia where I am from.

Is that good enough? This is the first time I have asked a question on this forum. I wasn't aware that I needed to qualify my reasons for asking one. :(
  • whiteoutpen
    whiteoutpen Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you're planning on eating healthy, you really shouldn't plan on eating at the park. The healthiest thing I could find last time was a greek salad absolutely slathered in dressing. Ick. It's a lot of french fries, chicken strips, burgers, etc. Typical American food that's terrible for you. Make sure you try something you'd like though- lots of people like their turkey legs and churros.

Have fun!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Australia has a healthy reputation? Hmmmmm? *oops sorry misread you sentence. There will be plenty of multicultural options in the US to chose from.

I say youre on vacation live it up. Enjoy the food and pastries. That would be like going to Italy and not eating in any of the cafes.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
  • rosebayer
    rosebayer Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to work at Walt Disney World and I imagine Disneyland is just about identical with food. Disney is not the greatest place to be on a diet. They will have vegetarian options available, just ask a cast member for directions to that, but Disney provides really yummy, calorie filled foods in large portions, so you'll just have to be mindful of how much you eat, or leave the park for meals. I don't think you're allowed to bring meals from outside into the parks, but snacks are fine, and you'll want something to munch on because the smells get to you. They should have a fruit stand somewhere, though.
  • Lisa760
    Lisa760 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well I have to decide if I need to buy dining vouchers as part of our Disney package or if it might be better to take our own food purchased from a market. My sister said the Florida Disney food healthiest option when she was there in 2009 was nachos with yellow cheese.

I don't fancy paying $400 plus for the dining packs if I can't use it.

US food doesn't have a healthy reputation in Australia where I am from.

Is that good enough? This is the first time I have asked a question on this forum. I wasn't aware that I needed to qualify my reasons for asking one. :(

I was at Disneyland and California Adventure this past December. Best thing to do, stock up on healthy fruits and snacks from Target and take it with you into the park. For regular meals, most restaurants have "healthy" options on their menus. But honestly, restaurants weren't really a huge part of our Disneyland trip, it was all about the rides and shows. Remember, you'll be walking A LOT, so you'll be able to afford extra calories during your vacation. Have fun!
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I went to Disney World in November, and we had the dining plan. I am not vegetarian but they claim they can accomodate special requests, you should request ahead of time. You can book reservations 180 days out, check and see if you book special requests at that time. Also menus change seasonally so what you see now my differ from the Winter. I will say on the dining plan for DW you got a beverage, meal and dessert - for each meal (speaking of lunch and dinner). For Desserts we would often opt for the fruit option and pack it to go in ziplock bags we brought ourselves, and save for snacks later. When we were there in the Fall I actually stayed the same weight wise as I did watch, rarely snacked and of course you walk a ton - in February when we were there we logged 9 miles in a day.

If you opt to bring in your own foods look for local grocery stores that will deliver. I can only speak to the FL location but you can have groceries delivered, at most Disney resorts (probably all) there is cold storage available until you get into your room. We always stay onsite and know the limits of the fridge and practicality of transporting foods/meals needs to be considered. The first time we went my husband obsessed over having enough fresh produce and sort of went overboard buying it and we were pleasently surprised how many healthy options there were, and of course we indulged and enjoyed things as well. I would def get plastic bags to take food items from meals, we found for three of us we had a lot of food available, desserts became snacks later on walking around, like fruit or veggies, muffins, bread items.

In FL I never say nachos and cheese, there are loads of restaraunts that are a step above most chains here in the states. I had a lunch in February that was hummus, tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers. I know you can make dietary requests, and obviously that would be at the restaraunts and not at walk up locations - referred to as "counter service".
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Boudin Bakery is in Downtown Disney and they have vegan options. Other than that, we bring a cooler so we can eat in our room! Have a great time, it IS the Happiest Place on Earth!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    So many options, you will not have a problem at all. Someone already gave you the link and there are app available as well. Mousewait is really great!!!

Remember it's the holidays so it will be busy. Go during the week if you can and use the Fastpass system as much as possible!!!

If you have any mobility issues you can also get a Guest Assistance pass that can trim some wait time.

Have a great time!!!
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I went to Disney world last April. I didn't watch what I ate and lost 8 pounds. The reason was that we literally were out walking around ALL week.

There are lots of options at the park, and lots of temptations, but keep in mind that you can spend the whole day focusing on fun activities and just be reasonable at meal time.

It's Disney. IMO, just try to have as much fun as possible.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My advise is that you're going to be walking... A lot. So if you want to splurge and eat something unhealthy and get a treat, I think it is safe to assume you are going to walk it off. Otherwise, Disneyland will let you bring a cooler or backpack or whatever with your own snacks. You can stop by a store and get fruits and veggies and other snacks to keep you satisfied for more of the day.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    There's a whole foods market about 10 mins away from Disneyland in Tustin. When we went to D-Land, we stopped at Whole Foods beforehand and got groceries to keep in our room to help cut down on food costs and stay healthy :)

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/tustin
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hi! I performed at Disneyland many times and have been for leisure a lot as well. Perks of growing up in the OC. There will be lots of terrible temptation, however many of the places do have salads and veggie sandwiches. Plus with all the walking you do, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Cafes/restaurants in Disneyland to consider, with veg options/my personal faves:
    - Blue Bayou
    - Cafe Orleans
    - Ariel's Grotto
    - Cocina Cucamonga
    - Disney's PCH Grill

And if you can get inside Club 33, that would be a treat!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Don't get the vouchers for Disneyland food they aren't a good value and are a pain to use. The food at Disneyland and California Adventure has been much improved in the last two years, check out the menus at allears.net. It is possible to eat healthy there it just takes a bit more effort. Pick up the fresh fruit and veggies when you see them because they are not available at every kiosk.
  • runlikeananna
    runlikeananna Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a healthy reputation. :)

Plus it's a follow up to a week in Vegas so I may be over foodin it up by then.

Thank you all for all the great info on whole foods, taking food in, the vouchers and the salads being covered in dressings. I will ask my Disney planner about club 33.

The best part of this trip is that we won it entering a fun run. Got to love that!
  • Zalli
    Zalli Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was just at Disneyland a few weeks ago and Bengal BBQ in Adventureland had really nice roasted vegetable skewers served with a fresh stalk of green onion on top. I doubt the sauce was as healthy, but it could be served on the side.

There was also a nice Meditterranean place that sold kebabs and rice at a reasonable price on the California Adventure Park side..

I also bought fresh pineapple skewers and giant dill pickles when I got munchy.
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was just at Disney World in December. I assume they will have similar dining options to Disney Land. I was able to get half rotisserie chicken, with garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans at one of the dining centers. It was delicious and about the healthiest option I could find.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    How about you just enjoy yourself, walk plenty, and use some common sense?
    You are lucky to be getting a vacation, some people never get to go on vacation and you are agonising over a few days of possibly less than stellar eating in a whole lifetime? Seriously.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

i really was just curious.... so sorry for offending you!