Paleo

Options
What is Paleo? I hear about it everywhere now, and this is recent. I don't remember ever hearing about it even a year ago or so.

Replies

• Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Google. is. your. friend. :flowerforyou:
  • whamann1
    whamann1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think it is the Paleolithic diet...hunter/gatherer thing.
  • kimmmay18
    kimmmay18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Paleo is a diet based on eating like our ancestors -- that being said there is a lot of good and bad out there about this way of eating but I have been eating this way since last summer and I feel great.

The basis of the diet are on clean eating - the less processed food the better! No wheat, no dairy, no legumes.

Here is a link to a very basic info-graphic.

http://greatist.com/health/ultimate-guide-eating-paleo-infographic
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    My son-in-law does Paleo & I've read quite a bit on it. Mainly the idea is to eat a lot of protein...meat & nuts, and fresh fruit & veggies. Some versions are dairy free, some aren't. But they all want to avoid processed foods...sugars, flour, etc. But there are a lot of different versions out there. If someone is doing a dairy free one, they need to make sure they're getting enough calcium. Heavy protein, non-dairy diets can cause calcium to be pulled out of your bones, which can cause osteoporosis, especially in women. Never hurts to check w/your doctor before starting anything like this.
  • mgpage
    mgpage Posts: 123
    Options
    What is Paleo? I hear about it everywhere now, and this is recent. I don't remember ever hearing about it even a year ago or so.
    Hi! Paleo is a diet based on eating like our ancestors -- that being said there is a lot of good and bad out there about this way of eating but I have been eating this way since last summer and I feel great.

The basis of the diet are on clean eating - the less processed food the better! No wheat, no dairy, no legumes.

Here is a link to a very basic info-graphic.

http://greatist.com/health/ultimate-guide-eating-paleo-infographic

Thanks, to both of you, the OP for asking and you Kimmmay for the link. I have saved it to my favorites so I can read it later.
  • SusanMPreston43
    SusanMPreston43 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    So, according to that link, since I already have kidney problems and possible gout, this would not be the best type of diet for me...am I correct?
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    It is a very confusing diet. Since it is based on what hunters and gatherers used to eat, it can be very variable. One version will say that you cant eat fruit, while another says you can only eat specific fruits, and yet another says no fruit. Same for nuts and everything else. The explanation I was given for this is: since the food available to the hunters and gatherers varied depending upon their geographical location, the diet will vary as well.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Where does one purchase local, grass fed mastodon? They don't seem to carry it near me.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    I wouldn't even worry about it OP.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    paleo is a diet that has stolen a legitimate historical term (paleolithic) and bastardised it to make money out of fools desperate to lose weight.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    paleo is a diet that has stolen a legitimate historical term (paleolithic) and bastardised it to make money out of fools desperate to lose weight.

Yup^^^ :happy:
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    don't get on that train.....eat clean and you'll be fine.
  • SusanMPreston43
    SusanMPreston43 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Yup^^^ :happy:

Gotcha, Thanks!!!