25 Things I've Learned in 25 Lbs of Weight Loss at 25

Options
LeanoraRose
LeanoraRose Posts: 45 Member
Someone suggested that I share this post on this thread as well as the motivation and support thread, so here it is :)

So yesterday, I FINALLY hit my 25 lb weight loss mark in my journey. When I first seriously embarked on this venture in January, I assumed the 25 lb mark would’ve been accompanied by confetti, glitter, and a balloon drop or something. Instead of feeling great though, I’ve actually been feeling kind of bummed about other outside factors in my life. This (in typical “me” fashion) has lead me to think about ALL of the other random things I could’ve, should’ve, and would’ve liked to have done in my life so far. SO, to try to help myself out of this funk, I decided to make a list of all the great things I’ve learned along my journey.

I hope this list serves me as a reminder of all the ways I have MENTALLY changed in this short time, and how much weight loss is truly a MENTAL change. I also hope it helps to inspire someone else today. If I can’t be feeling 100% myself, I might as well try to bring someone else up instead of sulk in my own “bla” feeling. Right? :)

So anyhow, here is my list of the 25 things I’ve learned in 25 lbs.

1) Where you are in life isn’t a measure of your full potential. It’s a measure of how you’ve played life’s cards SO FAR.

2) It’s never too late to play your hand a different way.

3) If you challenge YOURSELF every day, you’ll have more experience when LIFE challenges YOU.

4) Just like muscles need to be broken down to get stronger, sometimes we need to be broken down mentally and
emotionally to get stronger in their respective senses as well.

5) Sometimes the people that you thought were good in your life were actually the people stepping on your head.

6) Surrounding yourself with positive and uplifting people, thoughts, pictures, quotes, experiences, etc. is the way to
FEEL like you are living a positive and uplifting life. The same is true for the opposite.

7) HUGE personal successes start with a LOT of smaller efforts that build a solid foundation for that success.

8) When you don’t believe in yourself, other people don’t believe in you either. When you DO believe in yourself, people
get blown away by everything you accomplish.

9) Some of the same people that see you turn your life around for the better will try to bring you back down to their level
in order to feel good at the level they are STILL at.

10) When those people start to succeed in bringing you down, FIGHT HARDER! KEEP your goals, and know that you
STILL have MORE potential to unleash!

11) NEVER GIVE UP! When you give up, you are saying, “I’m not worth it.”

12) KNOW that you ARE worth it!

13) Life isn’t easy or fair. The people that fare the best are the ones that adapt in difficult situations. Teach yourself to
adapt! Get creative!

14) The same routine yields the same results. If you’re unhappy, CHANGE something.

15) You’re probably NOT going to win the lottery, become a celebrity, or find a rare valuable item at a resale shop and
find out on Antiques Roadshow. So quit hoping to be rich someday so you can have a personal trainer and chef, and
just get realistic :)

16) “When you were in high school, college, etc…” < Stop living in the past! Live in the present!

17) Stop making excuses! Admit you’re flawed like the rest of the world, and figure out a way to be the BEST version of
yourself.

18) The best version of YOURSELF? What is that? Figure it out. Experiment. Stop looking to others for easy answers to
YOUR complicated personal battles.

19) Be proud of yourself!

20) Taking pride, and being a self-absorbed tool bag are NOT the same. So relax, and talk about your accomplishments
a little. It’s OK! You might even inspire someone else!

21) Stop worrying about failure, and “what ifs.” Focus on what you WILL do instead. When you decide to do something,
you find a way to do it. When you worry about failing, you find a way to do IT too.

22) Taking care of YOU should be a PRIORITY. It doesn’t make you selfish. It means you have self-respect. Besides,
everyone knows you can’t be fully present for others when you’re not for yourself. Win-win.

23) Take out the trash. You’re not a dumpster, so get rid of the garbage in your life. (Whatever that garbage is- people,
food, habits…etc.)

24) Allow yourself to be human and have “bad days.” You’re not a superhero. Get over it.

25) When you DO have bad days, find a way to re-inspire yourself. Even if it’s just by making a list of things you’ve
learned in life and sharing it in on the internet :)

I decided to add a before and after too, since I have never done one until now :)

IMG_3140_zpsd4d4e90e.jpg

IMG_4099_zpscbd73710.jpg

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Amazing and very motivational. I lost 30 pounds at the age of 25 :) Now I've lost 7 more :p
  • oosterman
    oosterman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    nice job. and good post.
  • charovnitza
    charovnitza Posts: 689
    Options
    That is a great post :happy: Some people go through their entire lives and never realize any of that. Thank you for sharing! Oh, and P.S. you look great!
  • JillM452806
    Options
    Awesome job, how long did it take you? You look great!
  • LeanoraRose
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • LeanoraRose
    Options
    Awesome job, how long did it take you? You look great!

Thank you! I started to get really serious in early January, and shortly got back on mfp after that. I have been following my daily goals as religiously as possible, and have been working out 6 days a week. (And usually on my off day, I do something to get moving for fun too.)
  • beatlebomb
    Options
    Thank you so much for your inspiring post. You look amazing and you have really accomplished quite a bit I would say.
  • nm36424
    nm36424 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congrats! And thanks for sharing your ideas.
  • bear_28
    bear_28 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I can totally relate to this. Being a breadwinner in my family meant that I had to take care of my family first. It was about a year ago when I decided to change myself. I was nearing 27 then and I thought to myself, "I don't want another year to go by and regret not doing anything to change myself: So I did. IT was painful and hard and a struggle. Even now, when I'm 10 lbs down, with another 10 to go, I'm still struggling. The people around me keep saying that I've lost so much weight and I should stop. But I can't. The drive to push my limits and have that physical body and that very state of mind will not make me rest until I've achieved it.

Keep moving forward! Be a champion! Push! Stronger! These are my most common mantras when I feel I'm about to give up. Hope this helps when you're struggling to. You've done a great job! :flowerforyou:
  • carolose46
    carolose46 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    amazing! thank you!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,946 Member
    Options
    You look terrific! Congrats!!:drinker:

I would add another thing you may have forgotten to include in your list:

5a) Sometimes the people that you thought were the worst in your life are actually the people who help you the most.:smile:
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks for sharing :)

Some very great pointers for everyone
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sweetie you look beautiful before and you look beautiful now just healthier. Thank you for your words of wisdom and will keep them. :) Read 24: :) Allow yourself to be human and have "bad days" You're not a superhero but be good to yourself she's worked hard for you to get here. Look in the mirror tell her you love her and a cuddly. We all want and need that. Love her she's your best friend.
  • rachpetersen
    rachpetersen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    fantastic post. saving this to keep for a great reminder later...thanks!
  • LeanoraRose
    Options
    Awesome! I can totally relate to this. Being a breadwinner in my family meant that I had to take care of my family first. It was about a year ago when I decided to change myself. I was nearing 27 then and I thought to myself, "I don't want another year to go by and regret not doing anything to change myself: So I did. IT was painful and hard and a struggle. Even now, when I'm 10 lbs down, with another 10 to go, I'm still struggling. The people around me keep saying that I've lost so much weight and I should stop. But I can't. The drive to push my limits and have that physical body and that very state of mind will not make me rest until I've achieved it.

Keep moving forward! Be a champion! Push! Stronger! These are my most common mantras when I feel I'm about to give up. Hope this helps when you're struggling to. You've done a great job! :flowerforyou:

Thank you, and congrats on your success also!!! I always talk to myself when my workouts are hard, and I want to stop. I always say things like, "Come on, Leanne. If you always give up when things start to get hard, you're never going to make progress!" It always helps me do that ONE extra pushup, burpee, plank twist... etc.... I am SO with you and your mantras! Gotta be strong for ourselves!
  • LeanoraRose
    Options
    You look terrific! Congrats!!:drinker:

I would add another thing you may have forgotten to include in your list:

5a) Sometimes the people that you thought were the worst in your life are actually the people who help you the most.:smile:

I couldn't agree more! Some of my worst influences have taught me my most valuable lessons!!! There are SO many things I can add to my list! Maybe I should just make some more for fun :)
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • LeanoraRose
    Options
    Sweetie you look beautiful before and you look beautiful now just healthier. Thank you for your words of wisdom and will keep them. :) Read 24: :) Allow yourself to be human and have "bad days" You're not a superhero but be good to yourself she's worked hard for you to get here. Look in the mirror tell her you love her and a cuddly. We all want and need that. Love her she's your best friend.

Thank you so much! On those "bad days" trying to be kind to myself can be a BIG challenge! I am learning to stop those negative thoughts though, and I think this list will be a huge milestone to think about whenever I DO have those days! Especially seeing how many people have been able to be inspired by me turning my junky attitude into something good! It makes me feel so good to see how many people can relate :) I hope your day is full of positivity!
  • LeanoraRose
    Options
    Thank you to everyone else that I haven't replied to individually for your kind comments! I appreciate it immensely!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!