here is a question for people who cruise....

2»

Replies

• ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    I gained. It was the unlimited free ice cream that did me in. But it is a vacation, enjoy.... just try not to go too crazy.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    On my first 14 (15?) cruises I lost weight every time due to all the walking. We love having cabins in the very back (aft) to watch the wake so it would be a hike to get on/off the ship and to the buffett. The last 2 cruises I did gain a little 3-4 pounds but the very last one was a 16 day cruise and the weather was terrible for about half of it (during Superstorm Sandy) and we did not walk as much.

I like the idea of ordering room service for breakfast to 'control' what you eat and if you have early excursions planned it will save time in getting to breakfast and then out to your excursion. We rarely eat desert at home so I didn't on the first 10 or so cruises but the last few I had to "try" some things. :laugh:

Don't worry about it too much, just keep in mind what you are eating - just because the bread and butter is sitting in front of you doesn't mean you have to eat it. And just because you ordered something that comes with something else you really don't want doesn't mean you have to clean your plate. At dinner they normally can't change the sides because all the dinners are plated the same for speed but if you want the green beans from one dinner instead of the mashed potatoes from the one you order you can get it as a side.

Good luck and have fun! We love cruises and the best part is nobody has to come home and say "what's for dinner?" !!!
  • Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Have any of you cruise while trying to lose weight? and how did you do?:happy:

Yes I have. I did poorly, lol!

There's basically tons of food everywhere, all the time, it smells great and is sooooo tempting. And--my personal weakness--the alcohol! You walk out onto the deck by the pool and some lovely smiling guy hands you a giant hollowed-out pineapple filled with sweet, drunky goodness...oh my, well if you insist, lovely smiling guy...don't mind if I do! My husband does better than me as he has more willpower, but it is possible to take a cruise without overdoing it, and all the cruises I've taken have had lots of healthy offerings that are actually quite tasty, and you can go to the gym there, too!
    Haha, lovely smiling guy:) Makes me want to go on one to experience sweet drunky goodness, lol-the entire row of cubicle ladies ta my work have been on cruises, and they ALL gained weight. But they also hate exercise, so enjoy!...and exercise lightly
  • lqtransformation130
    lqtransformation130 Posts: 85 Member
    You will just have to try not to over do it. There is so much food and if you are a drinker, lots of drinks. When I went I took the stairs instead of the elevators and I worked out and enjoyed the beautiful view.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    We have been on several cruises.....never have gained weight...as a matter of fact have actually lost 2 pounds on a couple of them. We walk while on board ....never take the elevator up. Walk on top in the mornings ...you burn a lot of calories. Make good choices, but enjoy yourself....they have fruit and cheese plates that are wonderful for dessert, or fruit and ask for chocolate dipping sauce...saves a lot of calories compared to eating the desserts. The meals are devine...so dont scrimp there . Just have fun.... ! You will be fine:flowerforyou:
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    If you consciously want to maintain or lose weight while cruising you can achieve this goal.
    If you want to go off track because it’s vacation that’s the other choice.

For myself I found that I’ve come to a place where this is my life now. My body says NO to
    excessive unfamilar foods & excessive alcohol. It is use to the new good stuff I fuel it with each day. My body is now use to moving and exercising and wants to go!

* I enjoyed myself immensely. I enjoyed some occassional desserts & wine with dinners but not each night/day. I did track my food & exercise & paid for the internet. To me it was worth every penny and definitely kept me balanced.

I used the stairs, took a few classes, worked out in the fitness center, and walked out on the deck & promenade. Shore excursions were walking tours & snorkeling which kept us moving.

I have put hard work and much time and much money into getting my life to a place of wellness. For me, one cruise isn’t worth throwing all this away.

It is a personal decision you have to make. Make the one you are comfortable with and can live with when you return.

Happy Sails!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Huge Disney Cruise fan, been on 3 with 2 more booked (Alaska and Transatlantic! woop!)

I have never attempted to diet on them and won't... I went on a 3 day Bahamian cruise during the big 'lose 50lb' push I was going through and completely pigged out, put on about 7lbs over the 3 days and it was completely gone by the end of 10 days. Same for the second 3 day cruise.

The 7 day cruise I wasn't quite as gluttonous, but still had a pretty good go at eating everything on the ship (3 course dinners every day etc.) think the most exercise I got was sitting in the hot tub! At the end I put on 10lbs that was gone within 2 weeks.

I guess the moral of my tale? Don't fret about it! It's a holiday/vacation - granted, if you don't want to be a complete pig (like I was and intend to be) it's easy to make healthy choices (if you can get over the temptation!) and you can always hit the gym for an hour a day and/or go on excursions that require more than sitting! The key for me was getting right back on track the day I returned. I have done that each and every time and I think that's what helped me lose the holiday weight so quickly.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    I cruise often.
    even if you watch what you eat, you are likely to gain a bit of weight as everything is fairly salty.

I would say, unless you are going on a world cruise, enjoy yourself, it's a vacation.

any weight you gain will come back off fairly quickly once you are home and back on track.

do take the stairs when you can, go to the gym, walk the deck and ports of you can.

avoid having 13 desserts a day if you can!
    and don't weigh yourself while onboard!
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    I always avoid the elevators- stairs, stairs, stairs! AND I always did 30 minutes of exercise too, in the ship's gym or walking laps on the deck.

The group I cruised with cussed me out for not letting them take the elevator but they all thanked me in the end! Have FUN!!
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    I always avoid the elevators- stairs, stairs, stairs! AND I always did 30 minutes of exercise too, in the ship's gym or walking laps on the deck.

The group I cruised with cussed me out for not letting them take the elevator but they all thanked me in the end! Have FUN!!

just don't do it on formal night!
  • loraaw
    loraaw Posts: 1
    We cruise a lot - usually RCL, but sometimes Carnival. Every meal in the dining room has a "spa meal" or two listed with calorie counts. Also, there's so much variety of food on the cruise ship that you'll find fresh fruit and veggies at any meal. Don't be afraid to ask for EXACTLY what you want (can I have the asparagus without the sprinkled cheese please?). Where else are all the gyms free (outdoor tracks on some ships are quite fun) and all the meals made to your order (dining room only - I'd avoid the buffets if you don't think you can choose healthy with so many unhealthy items). PLUS, cruises cater to old folks with diabetes - there are sugar free desserts on every buffet and on every dining room menu.

Watch a little, splurge a little, take those stairs and stay active. Good luck!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,683 Member
    thank you for all of your replies, alot to think about!!! but I am to the point where I am calorie contious about everything.. so I will do my best to keep on the even keel. I will use the gym and do walking..
  • darias_mommy
    darias_mommy Posts: 127 Member
    i lose weight on every cruise. I am not a fan of the food, which I know sounds insane, but I really don't like it. I find myself eating a lot of salads and proteins. I also workout like a powerhouse on the boat. I get so tired of the people and the loud noise by the pool, so I go zone out with my headphones at the gym- sometimes even 2X a day. i always go on exciting and busy excursions and keep active. And, I get enough rest! Drinks are expensive, so I avoid them and I stick to water WHICH I would buy a case for the boat b/c they charge you an arm and a leg for a bottle! OR, bring and empty refillable one and drink the tap water with ice. (Just some personal experience) Have fun! Eat what you want and make use of the gym and track. There is nothing more levely than a sunset walk around the top of the ship with your sweetie!
  • brigibooboo
    brigibooboo Posts: 38 Member
    We cruise all the time! I lost 1 lb on my last cruise. We eat every meal in the dining room where they give you "normal" portions. Never even once went to the buffet!!! Bon Voyage.....
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    I gained 12 pounds in two weeks even though I was very active. I am a foodie and was not about to deprive myself although I was trying to make fairly wise choices. I don't regret a single bite. I just had to get back on track when I came home and have lost it again and a bit more. Don't sweat it. Enjoy your cruise.