Staying at in-laws over a holiday

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am going to stay with my in-laws over the easter holiday for four days. My mother-in-law is a great cook and always makes delicious full course meals with decadent desserts and everything (cakes, lasagna, pizza, breaded chicken, etc). Does anyone have any good tips for staying strong in this situation and how to avoid overdoing it without offending the hostess, etc?

I have been doing pretty well with my eating habits over the past two weeks and I really dont want to blow it.

Thanks for the tips! !!

Replies

• bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Go running and eat back your exercise calories, or don't sweat it and get back on the wagon on Monday. :)
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Portion control is key here. Take a little of everything but be sure to lay on the compliments and say that you are just too stuffed when she offers seconds. This is easier to achieve if you dish out your own plate so be sure to offer to help serve.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    PIG OUT!
  • Atishi87
    Atishi87 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How about before every meal you have a couple of glasses of water and some greens. Will make it much easier to portion control, and not cheat, without offending your MIL! :)
  • alanargreen
    alanargreen Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's so ahrd because you want to be gracious and eat the things they've taken time to make you. What I've done in the past is packed my own food, particularly for snacks and breakfast. Everyone always has crappy breakfasts so I bring my own or offer to make breakfast for everyone and make it healthy! I also like to pack my own snacks, carrots and hummus etc so i dont reach for the cookie plate! It's the holidays and a great time to eat drink and be merry with family, but some small things make a big difference! You could also offer to help cook and take small portions!
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    Portion control is key here. Take a little of everything but be sure to lay on the compliments and say that you are just too stuffed when she offers seconds. This is easier to achieve if you dish out your own plate so be sure to offer to help serve.

This^
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    Portion control! Take small amounts of the things you want the most. Fill up on veggies. Offer to help make a salad or roasted veggies if she hasn't already planned on making them so you have some less calorie items to fill up on.

How long will you be there? Can you take some time to go out for a nice walk or run/jog to help burn some extra calories?

At my in laws place they always bring out everything to the table and you serve yourself. If your in laws do this it should make it easier to control how much of each thing you have. If they plate it and than bring it out, offer to help serve like someone else pointed out. That way you can serve yourself and help out your in laws in the process.

The key will be portions... just take small amounts. Fill up on a salad or veggies if offered (or as mentioned, offer to help!). Whenever I was eating at my in laws and they served higher calorie foods I would take a small amount of it. Eat slowly so you not only eat much less but also can enjoy the company and have some good conversations.
  • n8dawg77
    n8dawg77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I say shoot her and hide her in your freezer with all the frozen treats she bought for you.

First off she's a mother in law... nobody likes those! Secondly if she cooks like that you're not gonna withstand the temptation and you're gonna gain weight period. There's no such thing as portion control when it involves lasagne, pizza and baked goodies.

There is some law of physics that states mother in laws cooking actually goes to your hips and *kitten* three times as fast as any other type of cooking. I read it on the interwebz.

If you're not a violent person or voting for gun control, just leave stuff on landing going down the basement stairs ... that has always worked for me too...

I wish you luck. And if the po-po ask... you haven't seen her for quite some time.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    You're staying at your in-laws for 4 days and your only concern is eating too much delicious food? I'm jealous. That is all.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    PIG OUT!

I like it
  • PamelaGatorMom
    PamelaGatorMom Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I say shoot her and hide her in your freezer with all the frozen treats she bought for you.

First off she's a mother in law... nobody likes those! Secondly if she cooks like that you're not gonna withstand the temptation and you're gonna gain weight period. There's no such thing as portion control when it involves lasagne, pizza and baked goodies.

There is some law of physics that states mother in laws cooking actually goes to your hips and *kitten* three times as fast as any other type of cooking. I read it on the interwebz.

If you're not a violent person or voting for gun control, just leave stuff on landing going down the basement stairs ... that has always worked for me too...

I wish you luck. And if the po-po ask... you haven't seen her for quite some time.

^^^THIS is why N8 is amazing!!! :laugh:

But in all seriousness...don't be too hard on yourself if you do go over, like others said eat a smaller amount & do a workout to help you indulge in the extras
  • daviddziedzic585
    daviddziedzic585 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Now that's just to funny....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Practice real world portion control and intuitive eating. Have a slice of pizza or two...not five. Have a serving of lasagna...not 2 or 3. Do some exercise...go for a run in the morning before breakfast, or just a nice long walk or something.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Go running and eat back your exercise calories, or don't sweat it and get back on the wagon on Monday. :)

This.
  • carmella37
    Options
    Lol, this strategy hasn´t been working for me for two years now ;-)
    PIG OUT!
  • carmella37
    Options
    Thanks for all the good tips: will bring my running shoes, drink lots of water, serve myself, and use portion control :-)
  • carmella37
    Options
    lol, sounds like a reasonable fall back plan ;-)

• kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My mother-in-law can't cook pasta from the directions on the box (she cooks NOTHING) and my mom has passed away. Eat whatever deliciousness your mother-in-law cooks for you and repent for a few days later!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    In addition to all the good suggestions for portion control, filing up, etcetera, why not ask the M-I-L if you can help out in the kitchen?

There are some great bonding possibilities if you offer to help cook-- particularly if you butter her up first with a few compliments on her delicious cooking-- and you may just discover that there's a dish or two that really aren't all that bad!
  • carmella37
    Options
    True story! We actually have a nice relationship, the last few times I´ve done this and picked up a few tricks. My problem is I enjoy her food so much I dont stop eating it (homemade chocolate mousse, etc) ;-) A little moderation and self control this time will help :-)
    In addition to all the good suggestions for portion control, filing up, etcetera, why not ask the M-I-L if you can help out in the kitchen?

There are some great bonding possibilities if you offer to help cook-- particularly if you butter her up first with a few compliments on her delicious cooking-- and you may just discover that there's a dish or two that really aren't all that bad!