HRM misreading? or is it correct? Please help!

Options
Hi guys, I'm hoping I can get some input on an issue I've been dealing with for a week or so. I've noticed my HRM not registering as high of a heart rate as "normal" since last week (FT7). I've checked the settings, washed the strap, etc and nothing has changed. I went and exchanged it (it was less than 2 months old). I got another FT7 ~ set the settings (I actually adjusted the weight to reflect my current weight ~ 4 lbs less than previous). Wet it thoroughly, & started my workout, and again noticed the HR was not going as high as "normal" (as it did last week), but at least this one was going above 110. At the end of the workout, I noticed I burned 100 less calories than normal (100 less than the last several weeks I've burned doing the same workout). I don't get it! What is happening?

Is the HRM faulty? Did I magically get so fit overnight that I now burn that many less calories? (lol) Would adjusting weight by as little as 4 lbs change calories burned by that much?

Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    First I'll start by saying I don't have an HRM so can't give specific advice. I do know the body gets used to doing the same exercise so you will not get as high of heart rate. I do not know how quickly that happens though. Have you tried manually checking your heart rate when you are at your max exertion and see if it's in the ball park?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It would depend a lot on what the exercise is that you're doing. If it's something like walking then your HRM may be right. I have a heck of a time getting my HR over 110 walking. If it's running or something that's intense cardio 110 sounds low.
  • Beata375
    Beata375 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm doing chalean extreme --- my heart rate typically is in 140+ (the cardio portions of the workout). Last 3 times I've done this specific workout I've burned 434+ calories--- today it was only to 320. I'm so puzzled by this
  • stacek4
    stacek4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I noticed about 2 months ago with my Polar FT4, that during a regular hip hop dance class, I was burning a little over 400 cals and had only lost (on the scale) about 3 lbs. One day I realized my HRM said I only burned about 325 cals. I figured it had mis-read and watched it for a week. I noticed all the other classes I took were also lower in cals burned. I started taking a pre-workout just to burn what I had been previously burning. It's crazy how something that seems so little, can change so much lol