Which one? Help

Options
I am upgrading my HRM and wanted your help. I have read some of the posts and I can't see which one would be best for my workouts. I currently have a Mio HRM that doesn't have a chest strap and I hate it cause it doesn't read my heart rate when I am at the highest peak of exercise, etc.

So reading all the posts I believe the 2 most popular ones are the Polar F6 and the Polar FT7 and the price difference is not huge. Which one to get? My usual workout right now is Insanity so there are a lot of plyometrics, etc. so it needs to keep up. Also I am going to be swimming. In September I will start P90X or TurboFire so I need it to keep up with these.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I typically refer people to this article written by Azdak since I personally found it helpful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

If you are planning on using it for swimming, you might want to see what options are out there for waterproof and used for swimming.

Oh, also just to add--- I have the Polar F4 (I bought it a long time ago) and I was fully aware that it wouldn't be as accurate as it could be...but I was more worried about my budget than getting my calories specific. Until the day I have a ton of money...I will stick with this one, and I find it to work just peachy! I think the Polar F6 would fit my needs right now as well. I typically use it to see how high my heart rate is and monitoring my "zones" rather than counting calories. So, it will all depend on what your needs are.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My wife has a Polar F7 (F6 with an upgraded band) and I have the FT7. There was something about the band on the F6 that my wife decided to get the upgrade, like it was plasticy or something. But they both do they same thing when working out, both also work in the water (we took them in water aerobics). She paid about $90 for mine, not sure how much the F6 is, but I would look at the band on it make sure its not plastic, mine is a fabric type that is pretty comfortable for something stretched around your chest
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I got the ft7 off amazon, still waiting for it to arrive. I am doing p90x and will be swimming in about a month.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Both are good and can be used in water. I would recommend going to the Polar website and looking at side by side feature comparison. No need to pay for bells and whistles you won't use.

Good Luck.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I bought a Timex Personal Trainer HRM yesterday (chest strap, calorie burn) and it works great so far. $69.99 in sports store, $56 on Amazon but they are sold out.
  • exercisediva
    exercisediva Posts: 127
    Options
    I have 2 nike HRM and one Polar. Never had a problem with the Nike HRM. My watch strap broke on the Polar. Both are good brands. I shopped on ebay and got great deals. Before buying, do your research. I think Polar is the one that's highly recommended but I just love NIKE.