Getting older and dealing with body changes (20s to 30s)

So I'm turning 30 this year and I know it's just a number but I'm kinda sad about it! I was wondering if you've noticed any significant changes in your body good or bad compared to when you were in your early 20s. I'm looking at people in their mid 30s who inspire me like Jillian Michaels and that keeps my head up. I've always been the one that never wanted to grow up even as a kid and its kinda getting to me now :/

I should add, I do not have any kids and the only change I've noticed getting older is that I can't eat as much junk as I used to when I was a teenager to 23. Maybe my metabolism has slowed a bit. Thanks for your time :)

Replies

• sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Hi Kim! YES! Sorry to say, but I did notice a change when I turned 30. I noticed another change at 35. It's going to continue to get harder to maintain our weight if we keep eating the way we do. However, I've noticed that older people (like my parents) tend to not eat as much. So maybe eventually our hunger will slow down along with the metabolism. Keep working out. That will help. We can't make cake our main source of calories, but we can still eat it on occasion. :) And by the way, you don't have to worry about it. You work out, you are healthy, and you're hot. And you'll always be younger than me!
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Welll... I was fatter at 25 than I am now... so... it's looking better now than it was then, however... my hair skin and nails are all hideous now as I am quickly approaching 30. I always had clear skin and great hair and skin that was dry but manageable and in the last 5 years my hair is just dry and coarse and my skin is drier than ever and just looks old and my nails don't rebound from my picking them... and I eat the same way I did then, just less.

So, that's my major concern! I've seen plenty of people older than we are on this site that look fabulous and seeing as you look fabulous right now I'd say you have a heads-up on me.

I'm with you though, I feel like I'm trying to slow down time everyday.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Hi Kim! YES! Sorry to say, but I did notice a change when I turned 30. I noticed another change at 35. It's going to continue to get harder to maintain our weight if we keep eating the way we do. However, I've noticed that older people (like my parents) tend to not eat as much. So maybe eventually our hunger will slow down along with the metabolism. Keep working out. That will help. We can't make cake our main source of calories, but we can still eat it on occasion. :) And by the way, you don't have to worry about it. You work out, you are healthy, and you're hot. And you'll always be younger than me!

Thanks for the advice Sharon! I've definitely changed the way I ate when I hit 25, but it seems I have to change it even more now a days! I miss you and hope we can hang out soon. And one thing is true you will always be older than me haha. You are one of the people I look up to along with Jillian :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    I'm a few years away from putting 3 decades under my belt, but it feels like it's coming at me like a bullet train! :noway: However, compared to my early 20s', I have noticed that my curves became more uhh, ample, and my face looks better (more defined, but I had an abundance of baby fat on my face until about age 22) so things could be worse! :bigsmile:

Not sure how/if weight loss plays a part in those changes. My skin is another story though, wish I never touched that first cigarette and drank more water back in the day. And I still get the same pattern of acne that I did when I was 15, what is that about!? :angry: Also I definitely didn't have to work as hard in the gym or count calories as carefully to lose weight as I did 5 years ago but that is just expected.
  • Oh just wait ladies 40 is right down the street and I do mean down!!! :sad:
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    So I'm turning 30 this year and I know it's just a number but I'm kinda sad about it! I was wondering if you've noticed any significant changes in your body good or bad compared to when you were in your early 20s. I'm looking at people in their mid 30s who inspire me like Jillian Michaels and that keeps my head up. I've always been the one that never wanted to grow up even as a kid and its kinda getting to me now :/

I should add, I do not have any kids and the only change I've noticed getting older is that I can't eat as much junk as I used to when I was a teenager to 23. Maybe my metabolism has slowed a bit. Thanks for your time :)

I am also turning 30 this year (in august) and hope to look and feel better in my 30's than I have in my 20's. Having my first baby of 4 when I turned 20 and so on...really messed up my body so I'm trying to fix it.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I'm 34 as of yest. I didn't notice much of a change except it was harder to recover fron my 2nd baby. I didn't workout during/ right after.
  • stella1314
    stella1314 Posts: 66 Member
    You are beautiful and we women will stay beautiful as long as we will feel beautiful!! remember this!!!
    No matter what age i will be, i will never stop thinking of myself as a good looking woman!!!:flowerforyou:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I'm 32. I have some wrinkles under my eyes, my face is leaner and my hands are veiny.

BUT my body is better than it ever was in my 20s or even my teens.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    At 39, everything hurts longer when you start anything, knees hurt, I use a lot more ice and Alleve, and I have to pace more. You don't do "quick" dieting...you do what you can handle, so don't let it get ahead of you in your 30s. I've also lost a lot of flexibility through the years. If I hear another DVD tell me to lay on the floor and put my legs straight up in the air for crunches, I'm going to send them a personal note. LOL And lunges...are you kidding me? Do they WANT me to get back up? It takes a lot more time to get to the point of calorie burning when you have to modify all the cardio portions of 30 Day Shred! LOL
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    I am 41 and look younger than I have in 10 years in my opinion.

taking care of yourself is like the fountain of youth
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member

^ This.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member

QFT.

I'm 40 and better in all regards than when I was 30.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    I turn 33 on Sunday and I'm much stronger, in better shape physically and on the nutrition side than I was 10 yrs ago. However I'm also more confident and have better self esteem and appreciate myself more than I did in my early 20's. I think age is not a factor and a excuse many try to use. What you get out of your body is equal to what you put into it.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Lots of women look amazing into their 40s, even later, with good nutrition and exercise. To have a 'hard body' it's definitely more upkeep (strength training for sure, can't get away with biking on the weekends).

The more active you are (physically, mentally, socially), the longer you look and feel great.

The thing to keep an eye on is greater risk of injuries, more recovery time for things you just bounced back from in your 20s*, that kind of stuff. And having a harder time just fitting things in, if you have both work and family responsibilities (maybe your kids, yeah, but also your parents. THAT sucks).

*With everything, not just working out - it takes me 2-3 days to recover from an all-nighter now.

But it's all about upkeep, maintenance, and for you - prevention.

(Take care of your joints is my very personal advice. Oh yeah + sunscreen, + don't smoke, + if you're in a bad relationship, leave when you see the dead canary, don't wait for the whole mine to cave in. More than you probably wanted to hear, but honestly that last one will age a woman faster than anything I can think of.)
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Around 36 my skin started to change. Even mild drops of weight create a little wrinkle on my chin that lasts a few weeks before the skin snaps back.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    I just turned 34 today, and I am in the best shape of my life. It all has to do with knowledge and like was mentioned above, taking care of yourself. The only thing that makes me sad about it, is that I realize just how crappy I treated my poor body for so long. If I would have eaten enough calories when I was younger, and gotten sufficient protein... man, I would have been an ANIMAL! At least I like to think so :) I am happy with being an animal now, though!
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    I noticed no change at 30, a bit of change at 35, and 40 has been a brutal kick in the *kitten*.
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    I noticed no change at 30, a bit of change at 35, and 40 has been a brutal kick in the *kitten*.

Elaborate? (afraid)
  • I am in my 40s, but I had the BEST body of my life in my 30s. I fell into fat and out of shape and came back with a bang. Be happy, your 30s will maybe be the best years of your life.

Now in my 40s, I get so much more attention from men and women than I have at any age in my life. There is a lot to be said for eating pure, clean foods and taking care of yourself. I get a ton of compliments on my skin. In fact, I had two reviews written online about me and one guessed me in my later 20s and the other guessed me between 26 - 30. Mind you, I am 47. Doing the right things over and over can have its impact.

Building muscle is the fountain of youth. It's how the poor get "plastic surgery" lol.
  • ambervaldez79
    ambervaldez79 Posts: 210 Member
    I am 34. I notice my energy levels have decreased drastically. I'm slowly regaining from losing weight, eating better, and exercising. Probably my diet has the most to do with it. Also, my joints hurt a little more but that is because I'm actually more active now. :-)

Turning 30 isn't bad at all. Taking care of yourself will help you out later on in life.
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not sure if my metabolism slowed our it's the dam birth control but i NEVER had to watch my weight till my late 20s. I'm still in denial about it- lost the weight, went back to my usual ways and it back!!!! Ugh. It's for the birds man....and don't get me started on the societal pressures like marriage and kids. :: vomit:::sad:
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    I love being 31 and there are no changes really! The only thing that i hate is that i have jowels now lol because when I started with MFP i weighed 250 and I had huge cheeks so they have deflated a bit and its just sagging skin basically not horrible but its the only thing I dont like.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    I'm in the shape of my life at 28, but that's more because I was a) obese and I b) work out like a demon and eat well these days!

Definitely noticed some general differences though - wear and tear, puffier skin, odds and sods. I sometimes feel annoyed at myself at letting myself be so fat when I should have been in my bounce-back physical 'prime' but whatever, nothing I can do about it now.

Skin and aching changes aside, I plan to be a bangin' thirtysomething!
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    I'll be 30 next year and this is one of the things that prompted my weight loss. I'm not getting any younger, so I want to rock my 30's.
    I don't feel like my skin changed much since my my early 20's, but my confidence did. I learned to accept my flaws, work with what I've got and be thankfull for it. I like myself more as a person and I enjoy life more.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    This is the exact reason I am getting healthy now - I want to look and feel better than I did 10 years ago.

I'm almost there!
  • Taraanne76
    Taraanne76 Posts: 111 Member
    I noticed changes at 35. Now I am working my butt off (hopefully literally) so I will be in the best shape of my life when I turn 40 to cushion the blow. Another thing that is crazy is how much faster the 30's go than the 20's. I was just 31 and now I'm 37 whh!?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Im 36 this year

And I have to say, if I was single I think I would be an lady killer right now,

Looking well for me, bit of salt in my pepper, lining up,
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    I'll be 50 in July. The changes started as I hit 30 and got more pronounced after 40. I'm guessing 50 will have its own surprises but for now I am happy with where I am. Working out has made all the difference for me so I plan to keep at it. I wish I'd started this earlier but I can't look back, only forward.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Apart from an inability to be able to eat just anything I want, I haven't noticed any changes. Age affects the memory, though, so who knows. :D