I'm so confused...I'm not eating enough?!

Options
At the end of the day, especially today, my food diary says that I'm not consuming enough calories and that my body could go into starvation mode messing up my metabolism. I actually thought I was doing good, eating clean, eating 5-6 times a day but yet I'm not getting the 'required' amount of calories???........especially when I have a good workout, my caloric intake goes up! :huh:

I graze all day.....what's the deal?

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I think it's when your net is negative or something that that happens... I dunno. Just when I think I have this figured out, I get confused again
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    You want to eat your calorie goal. Food is a positive thing for your body.
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i get the same thing EVERYDAY!!! smh... idk
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You didn't read the MFP FAQs, did you....? You already have a deficit built into your calorie level...you should eat those exercise calories and not undereat...it really does matter. It works, and it keeps your body healthy.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    What is your daily goal? 1200? That is considered to be the bare minimum intake for women, so if you are under 1200, net or total calories, MFP will give you that message.

And it's not too far off - 1200 is likely lower than your BMR, basal metabolic rate, or the amount your body burns if you lay in bed and just breathe all day long - coma calories. :tongue:

If you're not eating back exercise calories, start. MFP has you at a deficit already before exercise, so skipping adding those back in creates a much larger deficit, which is no good. Eat too little for too long and it will slow things down - your weight loss, your metabolism, etc, and gives your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Food is fuel!
  • 4pears
    4pears Posts: 5
    Options
    If you are eating "low fat" products (such as weight watchers bread products, lowfat yogurts and salad dressings) you can add calories by going to the regular version of these products. You have to eat to lose -- as weird as that sounds ! If your body does not have anything to burn, it will go into starvation mode and slow right down since it has nothing to work off.
    Incorporate high protein snacks such as natural almonds to your day...............or add pumpkin or sunflower seeds to your salads...............just a few tips that I hope you will find useful.
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.... Until otherwise, EAT THE CALORIES IT TELLS YOU TO! There is a reason it is calculated the way it is. LESS IS NOT MORE! You are talking to someone who has done every fad diet out there.... then lost 96 lbs by working out and eating right, and eating more when I needed too! I now eat between 1900-2300 a day, based on exercise.... and I have maintained for 7 years! I am always surprised when people think they are going to beat the system by eating less..... I am shocked when I see someone has only eaten 800 calories and everyone is like "great day"... ??????? Trust it... you will be pleasantly surprised.
  • Getit_Simpson
    Getit_Simpson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What is your daily goal? 1200? That is considered to be the bare minimum intake for women, so if you are under 1200, net or total calories, MFP will give you that message.

And it's not too far off - 1200 is likely lower than your BMR, basal metabolic rate, or the amount your body burns if you lay in bed and just breathe all day long - coma calories. :tongue:

If you're not eating back exercise calories, start. MFP has you at a deficit already before exercise, so skipping adding those back in creates a much larger deficit, which is no good. Eat too little for too long and it will slow things down - your weight loss, your metabolism, etc, and gives your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

Food is fuel!

My daily goal is 1860. It sounds funny but it looks like I'm going to have to work at eating more calories. I just don't want to start eating any junk food to meet my calorie goal( I haven't met it yet, I've been within 500 calories of my goal), because that's what I've been tempted to do here lately. My deficit today was 1000+ calories. A burger would take care of that, lol.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you eat a burger? Burgers have plenty of nutrition in them.
  • Getit_Simpson
    Getit_Simpson Posts: 69 Member
    Options

Burgers are delicious...but I've been staying away from fried foods AND I've only been eating chicken and fish here lately, (90% of the time anyway).
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Burgers are delicious...but I've been staying away from fried foods AND I've only been eating chicken and fish here lately, (90% of the time anyway).

Remember, lifestyle change. More likely to fail if you cut out all the foods you liked. Plenty of recipes online too for healthier burgers you could do yourself at home. Easy ways to get in extra calories in a healthy manner are nuts, seeds, low sugar cereal, avocado, nut butters, oatmeal, full fat yoghurt etc.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 1800+ for the past year, and I hit my goal every day (lately I can't seem to stay under!), and I'm at goal weight, and still losing fat. I eat burgers, pizza, had a hot dog at Costco today, have a drink a couple times a week - and I also eat whole eggs, nuts, peanut butter, use coconut and olive oils, etc - healthy stuff that packs a lot of calories in a small portion, so you reach those calorie goals without having to eat junk or stuff yourself with 5lbs of broccoli. :tongue:

My diary is open, and I'm not always the best example of super clean, healthy eating, but I am an example of eating the foods l love and still dropping the fat. :bigsmile:
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you. I get the same message 5_6days a weeksbut I have lost 112 lbs so I will continue doing whst works for me
  • sambor2
    sambor2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to read that and eat more however by doing that i never lost a pound. I keep calories under 1300 with vigorous exercise. That is the only way i can lose weight, Just test it.
  • vrybluangel
    vrybluangel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OK I should be eating at LEAST what it haves in my calorie goal?
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    OK I should be eating at LEAST what it haves in my calorie goal?

Yes, basically.