Just starting...Hopes of a 10k

Options
Hey all I'm post college and trying to avoid genes in the hips/thigh department. Have put on some weight in the past few years, and looking to lose about 10/get physically in shape. currently 5'7'' 129lbs. Would love to run a 10k in July, but currently running for a minute is more than I can handle. I'm and interval training 5 min walk/1 min run for 1 mile, but it's discouraging. Does anyone have sugestions? Any ways to stay motivated? Any other runner tips?

Replies

• juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Just keep up what you are doing.
    I started the same way and now run 5K everyday easily!
    Took me about 3 months to get to that point.
    Once running for 1 min is easy, increase to 2 min and walk 3 min. Soon enough you`ll only walk to warm up and run the whole time :-)
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    To stay motivated, you have to ask yourself why you are doing this? I never thought I would run in my life. (Seeing how I was always overweight) When I finally lost the weight I started running. I started doing it because I never thought I would. What keeps me motivated??? I am doing things with my body that I couldn't have done 10 years ago. Running is my sanity. So first, figure out really why you want this. If you don't like running, then try something else. Take it slow and steady. Be patient with yourself. Make sure you are pushing yourself (safely) and not just staying within your comfort zone. Maybe find a running buddy or a running group to join. Running groups are great because they have all levels in them! Good luck!
  • sabgoe
    sabgoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I had never been a runner in my life till I started the C25K in August. At first, I could barely run 30 seconds. In fact, I think I could walk faster than I could run! :) Now I run 10Ks in under one hour with ease! I highly recommend the C25K -- it is an amazing program!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The way to stay motivated is to realize that its hard for everybody when they first start and that it gets much easier pretty quickly as long as you continue to train regularly.

I recommend you lengthen your workout to a minimum of 30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. Add some time to your running intervals every other time you run, 15 to 30 seconds.

Pretty soon, 3 to 6 weeks, you will probably find you no longer need the walk breaks and that the 30 minute run feels much easier.

Keep training for a while after that and a 30 minute run will barely seem any harder than walking.

Once you get to where you can run for 30 minutes find a 10k training plan and follow that.