Heart rate over 200 after exercise?

Options
em3120
em3120 Posts: 154 Member
So today after doing some high impact aerobics I immediately took my pulse and it was 204! I'm a 18 years old female at 5'4" and 117 lbs. I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks and some other moves. Is it dangerous to get my heart beating so fast from exercise? I do pretty much the same workout 6 days a week.

Replies

• albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    So today after doing some high impact aerobics I immediately took my pulse and it was 204! I'm a 18 years old female at 5'4" and 117 lbs. I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks and some other moves. Is it dangerous to get my heart beating so fast from exercise? I do pretty much the same workout 6 days a week.
    The "220 - your age" formula is VERY generic and doesn't fit everyone, in fact it doesn't fit most people it would seem...

For example, at 220-my age, my max would be 173 ... Yet I regularly work into the high 190's while doing HIIT. (Heck, I can stay at 173 for an hour easily...)

My maximum heart rate is currently 204. When I was younger it was near 220. Everyone is different in this regard.

Your "maximum" heart rate is simply the fastest your heart can beat, and unless you've been told you have a medical reason to avoid going above a certain threshold, there is no reason to worry.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I am currently a nursing student and in one of my fundamentals class I think that chapter was fitness we learned target heart rate when exercising is 220-age. So for you 220-18=202 which doesn't take anything but age in to account but I think you should be fine at 204.
  • rolandvarriale
    Options
    Yeah, when I used to row I would routinely cross 200 when sprinting.

I think it's fine when you are 18-22.

If it happens at less than your maximum exertion level I would double check your calibration.
  • WendySPWarren
    WendySPWarren Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My heart rate was at 235 last night after 20 mins of vigorous constant cardio. I just assumed the HRM was glitchy.
    So that'll put me at: 220 - 23 = 197
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    At your age, probably not. We would routinely exceed 200 bpm during swim practice in high school. When you get up that high, it's almost impossible to count accurately (taking it the "old fashioned way"). Could be 200, could be 220, we're talking about counting to 20 or 24 in 6 seconds.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate got up to 200, that's excellent. The higher your max heart rate is, the more fit you are. That being said, it means the generic calorie counters on the cardio machines don't really work.

As a point of reference, I am 5'6'', 127 pounds, and can get my heart rate up to 205 during intense intervals (when I haven't done them in a while). That is comletely fine.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate got up to 200, that's excellent. The higher your max heart rate is, the more fit you are. That being said, it means the generic calorie counters on the cardio machines don't really work.

As a point of reference, I am 5'6'', 127 pounds, and can get my heart rate up to 205 during intense intervals (when I haven't done them in a while). That is comletely fine.
    Um, no. I told my doctor my heart rate hits over 200 at the gym and he immediately sent me for a ekg. High heart rate =/= healthy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/600749-heart-rate-over-200-while-exercising
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

Um, no. I told my doctor my heart rate hits over 200 at the gym and he immediately sent me for a ekg. High heart rate =/= healthy

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/600749-heart-rate-over-200-while-exercising
    Sorry, but the idea a high heart rate != healthy is simply not true. As I mentioned earlier the 220-age formula is simply not accurate, especially for people who've been athletes.

As I mentioned in my post my maximum is over 200, and I always do my HIIT into the mid-to-high 190's - at 47 years of age. I hit 202 today working on a gerkin protocol, in-fact.
  • BrandonWood1985
    Options
    You should NEVER take medical advice to heart (excuse the pun) from anyone who is not your doctor or cardiologist. That being said, I have recently found out that my heart rate regular surpasses the 200 mark. This is NOT generally considered normal. It may be normal for you but generally, a heart rate over 200 is a red flag and you should see a doctor about it. They may do an echocardiogram if your blood pressure has a discrepancy and may do a stress test to see what your heart rate is or should be. I am constantly over 100 bpm at rest and I have been in the army for years. Athletic people should have resting heart rates between 40 and 70. People who aren't active typically have higher resting heart rates, usually between 80 and 90.

For anyone saying that a higher heart rate during exercise is healthy, this is not necessarily true. Maintaining a high heart rate during a cardio exercise is how you improve your cardio fitness. But as you become more fit your heart should pump more efficiently and thus beat at lower rates. Someone who is inactive may start with an average running heart rate of around 200. As they run more andmore, their heart becomes stronger and more efficient. Assuming they keep up with their fitness plan, their heart rate should drop anywhere between 160 and 190 depending on the person. In summary, the more fit you are, the lower your heart rate should be within reason. Your heart rate should NOT increase as you workout over time.

See a doctor. Get their medical opinion. The heart is complicated and should be discussed with a cardiologist. If your heart rate bounces by more than 10 bpm as mine does (as in drops 30 bpm, then for no reason goes back up and so on) this can be a symptom of atrial fibrillation which is very bad if not treated.

Disclaime: I am NOT a doctor and my medical advice is purely based off personal experience and limited knowledge. You should ALWAYS consult your doctor if you have concerns.
  • Ephesian432
    Ephesian432 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    For anyone saying that a higher heart rate during exercise is healthy, this is not necessarily true. Maintaining a high heart rate during a cardio exercise is how you improve your cardio fitness. But as you become more fit your heart should pump more efficiently and thus beat at lower rates.
    Your heart rate should NOT increase as you workout over time.
    ^THIS is true. I know this thread is old, but just wanted to point out that those who think heart rate should increase overtime as you become more fit, that is not true. The opposite is true. So you should definitely see a doctor if your heart rate is increasing overtime.

AND, becoming more fit has no effect on maximum heart rate.
    ***Edited to correct "of true" to "is true"***

Source: http://www.m.webmd.com/heart-disease/features/5-heart-rate-myths-debunked