Fitness/Physique Competitors?

Options
Hey All!

Soooo.... I've been in the fitness industry for a few years now. I LOVE IT! My ultimate goal is to compete in a physique competition (NOT body building).... But I guess I'm a big chicken. I know how to do very intense workouts and control how my body looks so that isn't the problem. The issue I have is that I have no clue how to do the poses, carb loading/diet, even the spray tanning, bikini, etc.

Have any of you competed before? I would love some tips! xoxo

Katie

Replies

• Kcapitano
    Kcapitano Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Anyone??? :(
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I couple of my MFP friends are in a group called "Fitness Competitions", you may want to join that group for advice/suggestions/info:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/151-fitness-competitions

Good luck on your pursuit to compete!
  • Kcapitano
    Kcapitano Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great! Thank you so much! :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I did figure last year. I hired a coach who set out my workouts and food plans. She also helped coach me in posing. A number of us in my gym competed and we would get together on Sundays at the gym in the fitness studio to practice losing in front of the mirror. My biggest piece of advice is practice A LOT. Especially with your shoes. I thought I did enough, I did great every practice. When I hit the stage nerves took over and the posing was not the best. I really couldn't imagine if I hadn't had a coach and people to practice with/feedback.

The competition had a guy come in who did the spray tans. It was more expensive than buying the stuff you do yourself but it was a lot easier, quick and he was backstage for touch ups.

I had my suit made for me locally. I had no clue about gluing it which a lot seem to do.

My biggest piece of advice is do a lot of reading. Make sure you know and understand your coach's plan (if you go with one) is going to be. Understand what it is they want you to do and why and make sure you are comfortable with it. Some trainers do things like dehydrating, even using diuretics, some don't.

Oh and did I mention practice in your shoes. :)
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Jump in with both feet girl! Research, ask friends and yes Chris is right above --- come on over to the Fitness Competitors group and ask away. A lot of people are doing it for the first time - including myself. One thing I have found... take advice from people but listen to your body and do what feels right. The diet is a pain to narrow down, there is no exact science to it so gather info and make a plan. I have no coach but my sister is very knowledgable with diet and exercise (she is competing as well) and I have done a few non-fitness bikini contests so tanning and all that stuff is something I had figured out already. Best of luck and I hope you decide to join our group of competitors. :)