I THINK I WAS IN STARVATION MODE?

Options
I think that I was in starvation mode eating 1300 calories a day but, I really would never exceed 1200 calories a day. I did a lot of research about calories and now that I am a waitress, I changed my activity level. In order to lose 2 pounds per week, I am now starting to eat 1630 calories per day and I already feel much better after 3/4 of a day! :) I am eating my calories in healthier foods but, I am still able to indulge in foods that I enjoy as well!

Replies

• aberc
    aberc Posts: 98
    Options
    Glad you got out of it! I was on the same boat --

I was definitely in starvation mode. I hit a plateau so I decided to increase my exercise. I was limiting myself close to a 1200 calorie diet, but I was exercising as if I was a college athlete. I walked to campus from my apartment (about 1 mile there, 1 mile back) every morning, then did at least 60 - 90 minutes of working out everyday; cardio for 30 minutes then the rest was light weight training. All of that on 1200 calories? I was INSANE!

I was cranky, always hungry, cold, tired, hated working out so much that I hated waking up because I knew I had to start my day all over again. I was getting depressed, I was aching all over, etc.. I didn't understand why because media and diet books, magazines, etc.. all tell you "eat less, work out more" or "1200 calories" but how do you eat less and work out more when you are eating 1200 already and exercising a lot, but not losing weight? Even my doctor told me "just keep dieting and exercising.. Maybe take some vitamins, supplements.. Maybe your intolerant to some foods.."

Bull****, I was just not eating enough. Thank god for this site for proving that to me, because once I starting eating more, I dropped 5 lbs like that, and Im still losing slowly but steadily.
  • karrianne32
    karrianne32 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    My GP has said I messed up my metabolism by years of yoyo dieting!
  • PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I not meaning to throw the phrase "starvation mode" around lightly. I do realize that I was not literally starving but, I do feel much better now that I upped my calories.
  • jennytessman
    Options
    I hope you all realize your should be eating back your excerexercise calories right. So if you really are only eating 1200 exercising then duh you will feel like poo. So really now that you all uped your calories you are just doing what mfp intended in the first.place with out realizing it.