just left job...new outlook

Options
Hi everyone!! I am new to this site.I just left my job about 3 weeks ago and I know that my health has been affected by my job and the stresses that go with it. I am hoping to get used to this being at home thing, until I start up another job. My goal is to become healthy AGAIN and be at a healthy weight AGAIN now that all the stressors from the job are gone. What is the best advaice that you can give a person that has to turn their life back around to what it was 20+ years ago?

Replies

• goNELYgo
    goNELYgo Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi Kathy,
    It must have been hard to leave your job but a relief that the stress is gone. You've already done step 1 and that was your decision to better your health and life, so good for you. It appears that your life 20 years ago was in a good place and while it's important to keep those good, positive memories alive (they'll serve you well as motivators and encouragement as you move forward), I believe it's best to look ahead to the next 20 years to come and so on. Think about it, you have a clean slate, a chance to start fresh and make it just what you want it to be.

I wish you great success and happiness!
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    sending you a friend request! Turning back the clock is hard, however, I find when I get really stressed that exercise can help.
    I switched positions in the same company after 22 years. Although it is not near as exciting - my blood pressure dropped by 10 pts! I have 11 months and 3 days till early retirement - but who's counting!
    I now find that logging is easier - I dont think I make the best food choices - but it is still dropping!
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathy!

I just wanted to say that I went through the same thing back in July, very toxic job, very stressful situation. I actually didn't fully get away until November, and I am just now starting to feel healthy and whole. My advice to you is to believe in yourself, and live in the present and NOT in the past. Easier said than done, I know, but you need to focus on your health and your future. And remember, it's a marathon not a sprint. Take it slow and steady and take pride in the small accomplishments.
  • Erin959
    Erin959 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Kathy. I also just left my old job 3 weeks ago and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'm now in a new job that is way less stressful and I'm the happiest I've been in a long time. The new job has also given me the motivation to get my healthy lifestyle back on track.

I think at the moment you should just focus on how much happier you are/will be now that all that stress is gone. Until you have another job maybe you could up your exercise a little, because that certainly helps you feel good as well.

Good luck with your new life and feel free to send me a friend request any time :happy:
  • kathytindell
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I guess I should be clearer that I don't want to go back to 20 years ago in my life. I just want to be the healthier, thinner, less stressed person that I was. I know that I can never go back, but I made the first steps. Left the stressful toxic job, made the decision to get healthy and I joined this site with all the support I need. Thanks again for the help!!! :smile:
  • Tenzuya
    Tenzuya Posts: 64
    Options
    I can relate to you, i recently quit my job of 10 years because i hated it and it was making me unhealthy, so my advice is that you should take this opportunity to reinvent yourself, purge all your mentalities that make you feel stressed, and set some new goals.

Best of luck =)