Does anyone else notice...

Options
being WAY hungrier than normal after giving blood? I feel like all I do is crave hamburgers after I donate. And when I say crave, I mean I can't function without thinking about it. Really hard to study when I just keep picturing a Jumbo Jack dancing on the page.

I'm assuming my body is trying to replace what is missing or something but I wanted to know if anyone else experiences this.

Replies

• leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    well.. yes. donating blood messes with your sugars and your iron (hence the burger craving) I suggest you take the day to eat a giant monster cheeseburger :-)
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I say any calories consumed within one hour after donating blood don't count :wink: :happy: :laugh:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Livestrong.com says this about it..

"The University of California San Diego notes that people who donate blood burn about 650 calories in the process. But before you abandon your workout plan in favor of blood donation, keep in mind that you need to wait 56 days before you're eligible to donate again. You also must meet all of the eligibility requirements each time you donate."
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Iron, Iron, Iron.. Pretty sure the cravings are your bodys way of asking for replenishment. :)
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    Props to you for donating! :)

Be mindful of how you feel after you give blood. No, they don't take that much, but your body is working to make more. You're gonna feel a little...off.

Eat some meat, if you're so inclined. Cook it yourself, if you can. Think of it as a sign of respect for your body for doing a good deed. :D