Good versus bad sugars..

Options
So, in my distracted browsing of health articles, I think I've seen once or twice that there is a major difference between good sugars and bad sugars. This seems common sense to me: IE, the sugar in a chocolate bar is not the same sugar that's in a banana. I've been doing my food diary for a couple of days now, and each day I have gone over my sugar goal because I enjoy eating handfuls of cherry tomatoes and eating a banana for a between-meals snack. Should I be trying to cut back on my sugars, even though they are coming from fruits? Any advice would be welcome!

Replies

• delonda1
    delonda1 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If it is mainly coming from fruits I wouldnt really get my panties in a bunch...especially if it is helping you to replace processed snacks

personally i try to limit my fruit to only in the morning and a cup a day. Increase my veggie intake and replace the fruit..

and when I am going hardcore cutting and trying to lean out I dont eat fruit at all for the sugar.
  • toomuchbootyindapants
    toomuchbootyindapants Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    When you are eating sugar, I believe the body doesn't really know the difference between a good sugar versus a bad sugar. It is going to respond in kind to any sugar. Period. The difference is you are getting nutrients when you eat "good" sugars (i.e. fruit) whereas you are getting a bunch of wasted calories with "bad" sugars (i.e. candy).

Sugar is not the debil. But you can get stuck on a crazy crave cycle with it so just watch yourself. And the sugar settings on MFP are defaulted VERY low. Fruit is not bad for you - but don't eat 10 servings a day if you want to lose weight.
  • VirtusMaster
    Options
    As always, depends on what your goals are. Like delonda1 said, if you're cutting, that's one reason to avoid all sugars. If you are just trying to be healthy, eat lots of fruit. Then you have to feel it out. Each person's body will react differently. Haha. All the answers you didn't want to hear...
  • T85A07E10
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, it was good to get some feedback. I've decided to just try to cut back on some of my fruit intake to adjust for my sugar goals and make sure I get plenty of exercise (a routine I plan to start -after- I finish moving...)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your calorie and nutrient goals while in a caloric deficit you will oxidize more fat than you will store even in the presence of a moderate amount of sugar.

I really wouldn't eliminate fruit due to sugar. If you are eating a lot of fruit and you can afford to remove some from your diet to remove overall calories to enlarge your deficit then go for it, but eliminating fruit with the assumption that the reduced sugar from fruit will further magnify weight loss is erroneous in my opinion.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No. Almost all foods contain a measure of sugar. There really isn't much of a difference except that sugar in fruits and vegetables is usually paired with other wholesome nutrients. That is why fruits are considered "good" sugars. But, honestly, sugar, of any kind, is not "bad" unless you are diabetic, pre-diabetic, or insulin sensitivity. Choose your foods wisely, and you don't have to worry about your sugar intake.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree with SideSteel and Husky. I definitely wouldn't cut back on your fruit.