Nervous about p90x

Options
Hi! OK, so we bought p90x last summer and um, tried to start it about 3 times and never made it past the 2nd day. I think I am intimidated by the amount of time it takes. I really didn't read the literature either so I need to do that. I want to start it this week and stick to it. Any advice? What have been your tricks for staying motivated? I'm coming from the perspective of someone who needs to lose at least 50lbs! I've been jogging for the last 2 weeks so I've built up enough of a stamina to get through a workout. I'm scared! lol...How much time does it really take? I'm trying to plan it out so that I can be successful.

Replies

• CMenendez
    CMenendez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have never actually tried it but I have heard many ppl talk about it. Its a workout program based on what the Navy Seals do to get in shape. Your mind set should be if you get through 10 mins and you dont make it all the way through, its ok. you just keep building up ur strength and stamina to continue on. Don't let how hard it can be stop you. Eventually you will be doing it just like the pros! Best of luck
  • rslavens
    rslavens Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It doesn't take any longer than normal workouts. I think the longest is Yoga, which is an hour and a half (that I have yet to finish...) Today was actually my yoga day, but i decided to go for a bike ride instead. The workouts aren't extremely hard, although they are intense, but it's up to you to decide how many reps of a lot of the workouts that you do. This is my second attempt at trying it, so I am definitely not an expert by any means. Good Luck!
  • KikiG1991
    KikiG1991 Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm trying to do it too! It is very intimidating to say the least but I have heard such great results from it. Feel free to message me if you wanna try it out with me :)
  • carsonsig
    carsonsig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    it does take some time... they are long exercises... but it is no joke... I have done 65 days or so 2 times, it works... but as with anything what you eat matters more. you can also do a "lean" version with more cardio and less weights...

give yourself 90 minutes to change, knock it out, and cool down...
  • mlaltes
    mlaltes Posts: 9
    Options
    I just started it on Monday, it's definetly a hard workout. I think the key things to remember is to take breaks as you need them, do not strain yourself because you will get hurt. Also it's really helpful to do this with a partner, you see that it's okay to go at your own pace but it still motivates you to keep up with each other. Overall I love the videos so far, even though I'm incredibly sore its so worth it! The friend Im doing it with started 5 weeks ago and has lost 16 pounds, he looks so much better and its not just weight its toning too.

I totally recommend getting a workout buddy and sticking with it!

And as far as the time goes, I get to his house between 6-7 and I usually don't leave till 8:30-9. So it is a bit of time to dedicate. Especailly on Monday-Wednesday-Friday when you have to do the ab ripper X in addition.
  • pagraber
    pagraber Posts: 5
    Options
    Pop in the first video and listen to Tony tell you, "Do your best and forget the rest". I"m on more of a P180X pace but I've lost 13 lbs already in less than 30 days. I agree with one of the previous posters that commented on the diet...it's important to read their nutritional guide and follow it... I attribute my weight lose more to the diet than the exercise, but they work hand in hand.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I've started just doing the Ab video of P90X and I'm not able to finish all the reps and one of the moves I can't even do...but I'm sore for days so I know it's working. Exactly what pagraber said. Just do what you can and don't worry about it. Either way, it's more than you were doing before, right?? The one thing that really helped me was focusing on breathing. Once I did that, I was able to get through it easier...but I haven't tried the other videos (I don't have the time).
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    Actually, I like weight training more than cardio. It's the time commitment I'm always worried about because I'm so busy. I just want to be successful this time! I'll definitely take your advice and just do what I can. I feel like my cardio sessions are not being as productive. I'm making sure I keep my heart rate up but definitely not feeling like I'm building any muscle or strength. Ive always admired strong looking bodies. Are any of you going cardio separate in addition to p90x?
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am in Week 9. My advice for sticking with it is to get in the groove of doing it first thing in the morning. Even though I am a SAHM, I get up at 5am to get my workout done before my daughter wakes up (she is an early riser, unfortunately). If I wait until later in the day, chances are time will get away from me and I won't do it at all.

Good luck! p90x is a GREAT program!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    it's not bad at all. I'm not just saying that either and the time goes by quick plus you shouldn't be worried about the time because you will be focusing on working out. The hard part with everyone doing any workout is being sore and still working out while sore.

As long as you know when you go in that you will be sore everyday most likely if your pushing yourself, that it's an hour a day, it's a 90 day comittment, I think you will do fine. You are letting yourself fail without even trying.

I think it all comes down to how much do you want it.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Just do your best. You'll eventually get to where you want to be.

When I started I was in such bad shape that I was afraid to sleep on my back at night for fear I'd suffocate from covering up my blow hole or crushing my dorsal fin. Two+ rounds later and I had dropped 66 lbs, 26% bodyfat and had gone from a 48 to 31 jean. It does take time (roughly an hour except for yoga) but once you get past the first two weeks it will become contagious.

One word of caution though, DON'T be discouraged if weight doesn't start dropping of in droves. You will likely see more in the way of dropped pant sizes than on the scale.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Just do your best. You'll eventually get to where you want to be.

When I started I was in such bad shape that I was afraid to sleep on my back at night for fear I'd suffocate from covering up my blow hole or crushing my dorsal fin. Two+ rounds later and I had dropped 66 lbs, 26% bodyfat and had gone from a 48 to 31 jean. It does take time (roughly an hour except for yoga) but once you get past the first two weeks it will become contagious.

One word of caution though, DON'T be discouraged if weight doesn't start dropping of in droves. You will likely see more in the way of dropped pant sizes than on the scale.

Wow kudos on the weight loss!
  • 1angelreid
    Options
    You have to commit yourself. I completed p90x last month and now I am halfway through insanity. It's 60-90 min time. I did it at night. If you are intimidated then do the lean version which is less weight lifting and no plyo.
  • sshultz
    sshultz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Actually, I like weight training more than cardio. It's the time commitment I'm always worried about because I'm so busy. I just want to be successful this time! I'll definitely take your advice and just do what I can. I feel like my cardio sessions are not being as productive. I'm making sure I keep my heart rate up but definitely not feeling like I'm building any muscle or strength. Ive always admired strong looking bodies. Are any of you going cardio separate in addition to p90x?

You won't build muscle or strenghth through cardio. Resistance training with progressive overload is the only way to build muscle. P90X is an awesome program that works! But you have to put the effort into it to get the results. Push yourself to do what you can and push to do just a little more with each workout and you will get results.
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    I seriously considered trying the P90X routines and then decided against it. They are an intense workout that would have been just to much for me in my current shape. I decided instead to start with the less intense Power 90. I've been at it for a week and am loving it! I've had some light pain, but nothing that has kept me from moving for days. As with Power 90, you pick your intensity, but the end intensity of these workouts is intended to be less, so you can make it through the entire workout sooner. Each workout is only 35 minutes or so.