BMR, TDEE and exercise questions

Options
So I measured my BMR and my TDEE and they are 1685 and 2022. So my TDEE - 20% would be 1617 (less than my BMR - that can't be right, can it?). I made my TDEE at sedentary level as I have a desk job, but now I have a pedometer I see I walk 5000+ steps just to the bus and to work and home again every day, so am I really sedentary? Is sedentary level for people who drive everywhere and sit down all day? If I clocked 10000 steps per day on a pedometer but still sat at my desk all day would I still be sedentary?

Also, to put on all this weight (56lb over what I was four years ago) I would have had to be eating quite a lot over my TDEE every day, lets say 2500+. I have done a test log day for when I wasn't watching how many calories I had, and I struggle to see how I was eating 2500+ calories per day every day to make me as heavy as I am. If I logged all the high calory food I used to eat on one day it would come to 3500ish, but I didn't eat them all day every day, I ate quite healthily most of the time, with some high calory food thrown in. I ask this because I am keen to understand how, once I have lost the weight, I will maintain it?

The other thing that has been bothering me is watching calories alone vs watching calories + exercise. I am very tempted to not do the exercies, particularly as I have aback injury that sometimes makes it painful. But surely there are massive advantages to doing exercise as well - watching calories wouldn't inmprove fitness would it? Being thinner doesn't automatically mean being fitter, does it?

I am not complaining, as I am seeing great success in inch loss and my shape has chnaged, I am only weighing once a month. A lot of questions, but I am eager to learn from people who are more experienced at this than me.

Replies

• karris43
    karris43 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • loseit4ever12
    Options
    If your TDEE -20 is a little less than your BMR Its fine or just eat at your BMR. All those calculators give you an average, the numbers arent exact.
    You may have been eating bigger portion sizes than you think to gain your weight. Weighing out food is a BIG eye opener to most. Unless you have a medical condition you did eat that many calories a day.

You don't have to exercise to lose weight but there are a ton of benefits. Also you can retain lean muscle mass and look toned. Being thinner does NOT mean fitter. The only way you get fit is to workout.

You will Maintain by not "dieting" and making better habits. Once you hit your goal weight you are able to slowly up your calories to maintenance level and eat a little more. You can eat whatever you want as long as its in your calorie range.