Inappropriate ad?

Options
I just noticed that the flashing ad banner above My Food Diary was advertising 'Chilis to Go' menu - not exactly appropriate on a weight loss site!

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I figure that it is just a model of what the "real world" out there has in store! The temptation doesn't quit and marketing for unhealthy food is BIG business. Consider it part of the program!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    whoever gives them money
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Actually, they don't chose what ads come on the site.
    Basically, it tracks what's been searched on the computer, or what shows up a lot on the website you're visiting, and chooses ads based on the keywords about the ads.

Anybody in your family been searching up Chili's lately? :)
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    and those ads are the reason this site is FREE
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    In Chili's defense, they do have "guiltless grill" selections and they are very good about modifying their dishes.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: \

I had that come across too. And i have to say their Margarita grilled chicken is DIVINE! You can have the whole dinner for a little over 500 cals. But yeah, just say no to FOOD Ad's please.

It is like my damn facebook account, it keeps showing me freaking cupcake adds. I know it is taunting me. I know this. :huh:
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    its better than all those freaky teeth/mouth ads that were here a couple months ago....
  • mapnerd2005
    mapnerd2005 Posts: 363
    Options
    They just want to you buy a chicken fajita pita! 450 cal, 17 fat...not bad in the world of restaurants. I could eat for less at home, but sometimes....
  • ieatstickers
    ieatstickers Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Lol. Ikr? That's like a big slap in the face. One minute it's Jillian Michaels, and I refresh only to see an ad for a mexican food grill. So wrong...
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I keep getting Crest Ads. for toothpaste with whitening.. do I really have that yellow of teeth :)
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Basically, it tracks what's been searched on the computer, or what shows up a lot on the website you're visiting, and chooses ads based on the keywords about the ads.

Yea it does! I have noticed that if I search something it pops up as a add shortly after.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't care what kind of ads are on here, so long as it stays free!
  • MFPfriend
    Options

Yea it does! I have noticed that if I search something it pops up as a add shortly after.

Haha, yeah.
    There used to be a group on here called Red High Heels (not sure if the group is still here), but all the ads on that forum were about shoes, haha. Some of the women were like "Ohhh!! THE TORTURE!"
  • MFPfriend
    Options
    and those ads are the reason this site is FREE

Yes!

I :heart: MFP!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'd much rather see a Chili's ad than the Jillian Michael's ads plastered all over the page! I come to this site for support... and don't find Jillian supportive in the least.

Anyway, as other's have said... MFP doesn't choose the ads.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    In Chili's defense, they do have "guiltless grill" selections and they are very good about modifying their dishes.

Yeah, most of their food is unbelievably high in calories, but they do have some low calorie options that are really good. I love their grilled chicken pita and side of black beans. It's somewhere between 400 and 600 calories.