How Bad Is My Tea & Sweet & Low Habit?

Options
How bad is my habit of 3 - 4 tea bags per day. Sweet & Low of 12 - 20 per day. The sweet & low can be cut back to 6 - 10 per day.

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: you'll probably get responses at both ends of the spectrum on your question......but I swear by staying away from caffeine and all artificial sweeteners.
  • Lululuv
    Lululuv Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    OMGosh I have the same habit! I know I should try to stay away from Caffeine, and who know what Sweet n Low can cause (cancer :( ) But I think it has to be better than diet soda!? No phosphoric acid!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I would say your tea is fine, but can you switch to honey to sweeten it? I would recommend you do some research on sweet N low and the alternatives. :smile:
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's the tea you should be concerned about. I recently read an article on artificial sweeteners (can’t remember where) and think of all the ones mentioned, sweet & low ranked the worst. I personally use Slenda (no more than 4 packets per day) it does not contain Asptame. I think Stevia was one of the best because its comes from real sugar..only thing...it tastes terrible.

Note: This opinion is not intended to promote or discourage the use of artificial sweetners.
  • Darlin
    Darlin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use splenda also. I think tho, the packets are more concentrated than the bulk as the bulk seems to take more to sweeten than the packets.
    I quit drinking carbonated drinks about a year ago. No longer crave them or sweets.
    I agree about the new stevia, it doesn`t taste good and seems to take lots more to get something sweet.
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm just as bad. I only use one tea bag a day. I switch it up between decaf and reg. But I put 15 Splenda's into my 16oz cup of tea. I can cut it down to 12 packets, but anything less and I just can't drink it.
  • chelseap891
    Options
    Unsweetened tea is fine. I love it just plain!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be at all concerned about the tea. The Sweet & Low I'd try to cut back on. I usually use Splenda if it is available and Sweet & Low if it is not (I can't stand Equal!)... and try to limit myself to a couple of those (a couple Sweet & Low, that is... and I think that is equal to 3 sugar/splenda packets?) I am trying to cut out artificial sweeteners as much as possible though... though I still use them at times. I've heard good things about Stevia (health-wise, that is) but haven't tried it.

I really like honey to sweeten hot tea... but have no idea how to translate that to making iced tea!
  • Darlin
    Darlin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about the Stevia that comes in the bottle with the dropper, I have tried it and I have to agree with the other person here, it taste horrible. You would have to keep using it and acquire a taste for it. I couldnt.
  • Fausttt
    Fausttt Posts: 101
    Options
    Sweet N Low = Saccharin = The sweetener they used to have to put a cancer warning on. They have since removed that warning, but I still avoid it.

Equal = aspartame = The most common sweetener used in Diet soft drinks. recent studies have given some people pause about this sweetener due to possible metabolic slowing. Also Neurologists suggest there "might" be an effect on the brain as this chemical can cause effects that cross the blood-brain barrier. Some studies show support that it causes a marked increase in chemicals that effect serotonin levels. Studies are still ongoing but it has been deemed safe by the FDA. I try to avoid this one but can't seem to escape it due to its prevalence.

Splenda = Sucralose = Sucralose is made from sugar, but is 600 times sweeter than sugar, so the bulk of the content in any Splenda pack is fluffed malodextin, which is why it has a small amount of caloric content. However, this one has been shown to have no impact on blood sugar so is deemed safe for diabetic diets. Studies have shown there is generally no negative effects from long term consumption of Splenda, but there are some studies that show VERY high doses may cause a change in Ph levels of your stool, possibly caused by a decrease in certain intestinal flora.

Truvia = Stevia = a natural plant that has a sweetness approx. 300 times sugar. The main reason I don't use stevia is the taste. It has a very bitter taste and has a definite aftertaste. It has been used in some countries (japan) as a sweetener for thousands of years, but it is banned in certain countries (reasons unknown, mostly for lack of testing). Some studies have shown a mutagenic effect in rats. . but those studies are inconclusive and being debated. So use at your own risk.

Ace K = Acesulfame potassium = a sweetener as sweet as aspartame (150 times sugar). It has a bitter aftertaste as well. It is VERY commonly used in combination with other sweeteners. The theory is that the two sweeteners cause a more sugar-like taste and mask each others' aftertastes. Studies are ongoing and inconclusive.

of the 5, I tend to stick with splenda as much as possible, when i absolutely need a break from water or need something to satisfy my sweet cravings.
  • Troutman
    Troutman Posts: 28
    Options
    I will cut the sweet & low in half. I don't like the other sweeteners. One time I cut off all sweeteners for two weeks. I found out I did not like iced tea.
  • lyndabw
    lyndabw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Truvia does not have the after taste like stevia. I use the granulated type and just a littlle bit.
    it is pricey but worth it.

try green tea or a decalf tea it is healther for you and a nice change of pace.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    OMGosh I have the same habit! I know I should try to stay away from Caffeine, and who know what Sweet n Low can cause (cancer :( ) But I think it has to be better than diet soda!? No phosphoric acid!

I don't think there has been any case that a human has gotten cancer from sweet n low.