Slim Fast

Options
I'd like to hear other people's experiences and opinions on using Slim Fast or other "diet shakes."

My husband and I have been using Slim Fast for about a month now. He has one for lunch, with yogurt and peanut butter added to it. I use them as a snack, small meal (when I eat 5 or 6 meals a day instead of 3) or something to tide me over when I'm out of the house so I don't resort to fast food.

Replies

• Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Make ahead or plan your meals and snacks out. No need for shakes and rubbish like that. The only time I have shakes are protein shakes after workouts.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just eat real food. I'd be starving on meal replacement shakes, I prefer an actual meal.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    When I was a sophomore in high school (MANY moons ago!), I remember my algebra teacher started using Slim Fast....he called it Slim Slow. :tongue: And that's how I've thought of it ever since.
  • MeganKSchultz
    Options
    Has anyone actually used slim fast? Had any success with it?
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I used slim fast many years ago for several months. Had one for breakfast and one for lunch and then my dinner and didn't lose any weight. I was always hungry and miserable. I would never get those again. Total waste of money IMHO.

Lost all my weight now due to cutting calories, eating healthy and moving more.

I know some people who actually gained weight doing slim fast. They would drink the shake plus eat regular food because they were still hungry. Its meant as a meal "replacement" not an addition to or side item with your meal. Either way they're karp! Loaded with carbs and not very healthy at all. A nutritionist told me you're better off drinking ensure.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have the slimfast protein shakes in the fridge (not the regular ones)

I can see why people eat /consume less, they taste disgusting.. but that said, they fill a hole when I don't know where/if Im going to get lunch
  • bowser625
    bowser625 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used them to help lose the initial 15 pounds....but I also just started eating less (portion control) and tracking everything on MFP. I didn't mind the taste but snacking helped a lot.

Whatever way helps you lose some and works for you, go for it! :)
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    I've never tried them, they just don't like they would satisfy me and I'd get hungry an hour later. Plus often I'll look at how many calories are in them and go: "Hmm... I'd rather eat and ham and cheese sandwich".

ETA: My coworker drank these almost every day at work for months, I don't think she lost any weight (I don't know what her diet was like the rest of the day though). I think she's stopped now, I know she's lost a bit of weight recently but not sure what she's doing differently, I know she got the MFP app but not sure if she's still using it).
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I drank them in college, had one for breakfast, one for lunch, and made my own dinner. I did lose some weight but I usually ate waaayyyy too much at dinner because I was ravenous. I think using them as "snacks" would be okay.
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It gave me bad flatulence...lol
  • dysonsl
    dysonsl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    you're better off eating fruit and/or nuts. those things are filled with so much **** i can't even pronounce. you don't want to put that into your body. i always carry a bag of nuts with me since i'm in the city and tend to be away from my house for 16 hours at a time. carry around nuts and some fruit and you'll be alright. also, for the cost of those things i bet you can get a real smoothie made with veggies and fruit. much better for you and definitely fills you.
  • dysonsl
    dysonsl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I sometimes add a couple of scoops to my protein shake when I'm under calories and not hungry. I can't imagine they would keep me satisfied as a meal replacement :flowerforyou:
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    i quite often drink slimfast shakes, , i keep them for when i go out for the day and pop one in my bag < i find them very useful as a lunchtime meal replacement along with an apple and a bottle of water. They dont go off in hot weather and if you are on a beach or in the countryside then there might not be any healthy sandwiches in the local shops, especially if you havent been to that area before. The other time i use them is at bedtime if i wake up hungry I drink about half the container and put the rest in the fridge , its quick and easy to do and allows me to go back to bed not feeling hungry , I think they can be useful in an occasional way.
  • Arthur155
    Arthur155 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I tried it once,but I think it was all just in my mind that I was losing weight, because I was watching what I ate and was exercising more.
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options

however after reading that article I wont be drinking them anymore!!!!!!
  • bparr
    bparr Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Had a very bad "gastro" issue thanks to Slim Fast (it was the kind that put on a few pounds-- not weight loss).:sad: Took weeks to resolve and never touched that junk again.
  • Xhell_on_heelsX
    Options
    I remember my mother using it when I was younger..just another thing you get tricked into buying because you think it will help speed up weight loss, but you'll just end up hungry and eating sh*tty food. I would say it's probably not bad if you're just using it as a snack...I only use protein shakes if im in a hurry and need something quick and on the go. but I wouldn't use it as a way to lose weight. good luck with everything :flowerforyou:
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't mind shakes as such, but I used to occasionally have slimfast shakes as a lunch replacement when I didn't have time to stop for something proper. They always left me feeling hungry within the hour.

I made my own today. I had it at 8:30 this morning and its now almost 1and I am JUST starting to feel hungry. I am guessing because it has twice as much protein as a slimfast?

I just checked a 325ml vanilla shake (pre-made) Vs the protein shake I made this morning (1 scoop vanilla whey, half a banana, 200ml soya milk, tbsp peanut butter, and about 50ml of water = 300 cals, 30g protein)

Have you tried making your own instead? It also works out cheaper!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Has anyone actually used slim fast? Had any success with it?

Tried it to try and stop snacking - waste of time really, moderately filling but that's about it.
    If you look at the nutritional information you will see most of the nutrition comes from the milk you add. It's absolutely full of sugar.

Glass of milk, multi-vitamin tablet and an apple would be better and cheaper too!!

In the end there's no substitute for eating properly in the right quantities.