McNugget = McFrankenstein Food

Options
I saw this article on cnn.com about mcnuggets in the US containing more calories and more chemicals than mcnuggets in Britain . Two of the chemicals that our mcnuggets contain (and theirs do not) are tertiary butylhydroquinone, a petroleum-based product and dimethylpolysiloxane, “an anti-foaming agent”

This is what it said about each chemical:

TBHQ is a preservative for vegetable oils and animal fats, limited to .02 percent of the oil in the nugget. One gram (one-thirtieth of an ounce) can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse," according to “A Consumer’s Dictionary of Food Additives.”

Dimethylpolysiloxane is used as a matter of safety to keep the oil from foaming, McComb says. The chemical is a form of silicone also used in cosmetics and Silly Putty.

Um... EWWWW

I am so glad I stopped eating that kind of stuff (was never a mcnugget fan but loved that kind of fast food) about 6 months ago.

Here is the link if you want to read it:

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/25/a-tale-of-2-nuggets/?hpt=Sbin

Replies

• KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Eww, we don't eat fast food and this just confirms why! That is vile. In fact, a county not far from where I live just made it illegal to sell "Happy Meals"... not kidding! I am sure this is just the beginning of many lawsuits to follow...
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I am happy that my kids can't eat them! My son has an egg and dairy allergy, so all their nuggets are home made by me and baked in the oven. I never liked them much myself, but I will have to research the chicken sandwich I sometimes eat from Wendy's to see if it contains the same ingredients!
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    Eww, we don't eat fast food and this just confirms why! That is vile. In fact, a county not far from where I live just made it illegal to sell "Happy Meals"... not kidding! I am sure this is just the beginning of many lawsuits to follow...

Hey, Petaluma, there is a big Coast Guard base there. I'm sure you probably know that but... anyway. I'm a nerd.

Illegal to sell happy meals? I think that is awesome! Childhood obesity is such a huge issue. And seriously, when I stopped eating the big offenders (ok, I still eat Moe's burritos and Firehouse subs occasionally) my energy level etc started to get better. This stuff is so bad. It freaks me out when the same chemicals in my makeup are in my food. Yikes!
  • goatskinlegs
    goatskinlegs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah Fast Food is gross. Really gross! That article barely scratches the surface, if you want to know more about the toxic waste we all call food these days watch: Food Inc. Processed People, and The Future of Food. It will make you never wanna eat anything but fresh food from a Farmer's Market every again!

But keep in mind, if McDonald's is the largest purchaser of Beef, chicken, Potatoes, Lettuce, Tomatoes, and Apples in the United States, wouldn't it stand to reason that even the other 40% of the market that sales directly to the consumer would be processing and treating there produces with chemicals just the same way?
  • futballuvr73
    futballuvr73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Did you all see the Food Revolution episode when Jamie made the chicken nuggets for the kids? Blech!
    I have to say one of the things that drew me to the charter school my 10yr old will attend this fall is that they do not utilize the 'school lunch program' AKA crapfoods... My son and his classmates will bring their own lunches everyday or the entire class will cook a meal with stringent nutritional guidelines (unlike the crapfoods).
    I know I am VERY partial, but Subway is the only fast food place we ever eat. Even the child knows that at Subway he can get his footlong turkey sub for half the caloric hit as a 'Crappy Meal" at the other place. When we travel we eat there no matter where we're at because we know we can get healthy food and not feel like we're dragging and nauseous afterwards! It's sad really, since my hubby and I eat Subway 5 days a week already!
    And now I'm off to get the hummus ready for dinner! :happy:
  • chessie11
    chessie11 Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for the post and also for sharing the link. Interesting point from a professor in the article - she states (while there may be no health risk to ingestion of this crap - blah, blah, blah), we shouldn't eat food we can't pronounce. I agree, which is why my husband and I shop a lot more at our local organic grocer. Now, one reader of Dr. Gupta's blog responded that as a chemist, he can pronounce the words and entitled to eat whatever. Perhaps he was making a funny or perhaps not. There are those who sincerely feel that way, thus making the defensiveness that follows news of this nature the scariest part. These fast food places fight to stay in business, fatten up the country, brainstorm our kids with movie-promo toys, present themselves worthy as they give to needy causes and reap a grand profit to maintain the cycle. It's horrible. We are all entitled to know what's set in the foods sold through these places - even if we stop eating there.

I am so glad I've stumbled across MFP, because even while I've been successfully phasing that crap out of my life and that of my family's, due to caloric intake, I simply feel better! I know it's not simply by calorie alone as well - it's reduction of that ^%^#! in my system!

BTW, I've NEVER liked McNuggets, the new advertising of "Now with White Meat" should have been enough to frighten off ANY consumer... Ick.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Yuk! I don't take my son there but his Dad does too often (shared custody dangit!) so I have had to teach him to make better choices and that french fries should be no more than once a month. His Dad was getting him an adult combo (he is 9) and I said hell no! He was excited that they now offer a grilled snack wrap kids meal and pointed it out to me so that he can get that when Daddy takes him there. I am proud that I am able to help him make better choices in difficult situations.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Did you all see the Food Revolution episode when Jamie made the chicken nuggets for the kids? Blech!

I will never forget viewing that, and the kids reaction was worse.

The kids didn't want anything to do with the chicken parts before Jamie blended them up, but after he cooked them and made them look like a chicken nugget the kids changed their minds.:embarassed: :sick:
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have to say one of the things that drew me to the charter school my 10yr old will attend this fall is that they do not utilize the 'school lunch program' AKA crapfoods... My son and his classmates will bring their own lunches everyday or the entire class will cook a meal with stringent nutritional guidelines (unlike the crapfoods).
    I know I am VERY partial, but Subway is the only fast food place we ever eat. Even the child knows that at Subway he can get his footlong turkey sub for half the caloric hit as a 'Crappy Meal" at the other place. When we travel we eat there no matter where we're at because we know we can get healthy food and not feel like we're dragging and nauseous afterwards! It's sad really, since my hubby and I eat Subway 5 days a week already!

I hate to "go there," but Subway isn't even safe. What they put in their so-called "9-grain wheat" bread is simply atrocious. This article is worth a read...if you dare! (Scroll down...it's past the Doritos part.)

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/eatthis/truth-about-your-food
  • chessie11
    chessie11 Posts: 52
    Options
    @merimeaux - As a veggie delite lover, I really wish that I hadn't read that! :sad:

My husband and I have been working hard to get that high fructose corn syrup out of our diets and to know that my veggie delite ain't as healthy as I'd like it to be is disheartening. I guess the good news is that the calorie count is low... :huh:
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options

I read this article and it is scary too!

I hate to "go there," but Subway isn't even safe. What they put in their so-called "9-grain wheat" bread is simply atrocious. This article is worth a read...if you dare! (Scroll down...it's past the Doritos part.)

• Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    50 for $9.99...can't beat that !
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I find the newest "Crappy Meal" commercial particularly disturbing. "When I'm having one of 'those days' I make it a Happy Meal night." Barf. That sends out a horrible message to single working mothers. Buy a crock pot! :happy: I don't care how busy parents are, in the time that they're sitting in the drive through waiting to purchase their children that dreck, they could be slapping meat, frozen veggies, and low sodium cream of <blank> into a crock pot for the next night. No, I don't have kids, but I know that when I make a crock pot meal it takes all of 5 minutes to slap the ingredients in and 5 seconds to take the vessel out of the fridge and plug it in the next morning. And, of course, it takes a little forethought.

Not trying to be sanctimonious. It just really upsets me to see so many obese kids running around these days. :frown:
  • futballuvr73
    futballuvr73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A few months ago at the grocery store I saw a mother and her to young children shopping. Both boys were, shall we say LARGE. I was on the next aisle when I heard a loud crash, so ran to see what it was. I heard the mother as I rounded the corner as "Son, did you tip the cart over again?" Both boys had been in the basket of the cart and the older one had tried to lean out to grab some cookies off the shelf while mom wasn't watching. What realllllly scared me wasn't that they had tipped, it was that she asked if he did it AGAIN! Stop buying your children this garbage and start buying veggies!
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    When my old lifestyle of no exercise and an atrocious diet was in its death throes, I was becoming really alarmed at what certain foods were doing to me. OK, probably mutliple issues including the onset of diabetes, but more than that, I'm convinced some additives are like poison.

The worst culprit was Chinese takeaways, probably MSGs, and I can still remember the last time I ate it as an experiment. I thought, "You're going to regret this, but let's verify one more time you're not imagining it." Yup, the next morning I was writhing in my bed clutching my head and close to vomiting. Possibly a personal intolerance, but I'm convinced it cannot be good for anyone.

One of this biggest effects of better diet and lots of exercise that I've exeprienced is in my mental wellbeing. My moods are very even, I dont react emotionally any more, after being almost manic depressive for much of my life. I almost don't know myself. So I kind of wonder, to what degree are many of the mental health problems in society diet-related? I have a suspicion, lots.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    When my old lifestyle of no exercise and an atrocious diet was in its death throes, I was becoming really alarmed at what certain foods were doing to me. OK, probably mutliple issues including the onset of diabetes, but more than that, I'm convinced some additives are like poison.

The worst culprit was Chinese takeaways, probably MSGs, and I can still remember the last time I ate it as an experiment. I thought, "You're going to regret this, but let's verify one more time you're not imagining it." Yup, the next morning I was writhing in my bed clutching my head and close to vomiting. Possibly a personal intolerance, but I'm convinced it cannot be good for anyone.

One of this biggest effects of better diet and lots of exercise that I've exeprienced is in my mental wellbeing. My moods are very even, I dont react emotionally any more, after being almost manic depressive for much of my life. I almost don't know myself. So I kind of wonder, to what degree are many of the mental health problems in society diet-related? I have a suspicion, lots.

Combine that with the lack of exercise (which also has profound effect on mental health), and it does draw a grim picture. The harder I work out and the cleaner I eat, the happier I feel. :happy:
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Thanks for Sharing This